• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 14, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmunro

displayname
Roger Munro
Hey Folks. I have a 109 my father bought new in 1974. I have been a member for a few months, and been reading almost daily. This HAS to be one of the most informative websites I have ever seen.

I did post a month or so ago about front mounting a snow blade. I was going to use studded automotive snow tires, but changed my mind on studding and went to chains instead. Not willing to finance an experiment. One of these days, I'll get the finishing touches done on that installation, and load some pics.

Now for another question. My mechanical PTO has developed an audible squeal when disengaged. I have been engaging right after start up as per manual. This is a fairly new development. The PTO has been working fine, no issues.

This is the PTO I have(if it uploads ok). Despite reading for hours I can't find anything pertaining to this issue. Is there a maintenance procedure?? Or Am I getting ready to do a clutch overhaul??

79508.jpg

Roger - Have you checked the release fiber button , it may be into the metal on the arm.

Roger, if it is squealing with it disengaged I would guess that it's either the bearing going bad or the PTO is not fully disengaging and/or the brake is dragging (that is the style PTO with the mechanical brake.)
dunno.gif
Check the adjustments of the brake if that doesn't fix it you may have to remove the PTO and check the bearing.

Roger,maybe the bearing is going out? try tearing the pto down and oiling #17.

Thanks guys. In looking at the diagram Kraig provided, I just noted my shoe assembly doesn't line up perfectly square, and that might be the issue. Cause for further investigation. I'm thinking, I'm not into tearing it down just to oil or replace one piece(bearing), but rather wait for total failure, and, rebuild. I get kind of ornery having to do things twice.

Roger, while you're investigating you may as well spray some penetrating oil into the 3 set screw holes now. It'll help you get the set screws out when you get to that inevitable rebuild.

I'll do that Kraig. But maybe, just maybe, I can buy some time. I have quite a bit of "maintenance" stuff to do. This weekend the Hy-tran(which is original) gets changed.

Lots of plans---little time.

I finally got my PTO back together. It still won't disengage unless I over tighten the control rod adjustment a little.

I headed down the driveway with the snow thrower this morning, got about half way and broke the chain that drives the auger.
bash.gif

I have to hurry home from work and put the new chain on before this fresh snow melts!

~Brent

Roger,
You may also want to double check the four bolts holding your engine in place.
This fall my mom called me and told me her 149 had been squealing and grinding whenever she tried turning off the mower deck. She had run it this way most of the summer and called me because it had gotten worse and she was ready to park it for the year. I tore into it the other day and the bearing was shot and most of the brake assembly was torn up. Most of the damage was caused by the engine missing ALL FOUR BOLTS! The brake didn't line up with the clutch and the engine was bouncing around all over in the frame. After I rebuilt the clutch I used Ryan D Wilke's advice and cleaned and tapped the holes and installed the proper length bolts with loctite and a new lock washer.

Shane I'll check that tonight before I go off to play in the snow.

Charlie: Those prices just amaze me. If I remember right my price for my 1972 108 was $999.00. But I have slept since then!

Really the mark up back then was not that bad and I bet a lot of dealers sold for less than retail.

Interesting-----------------Pops

BEN - Back in '80 or '81 when the red Cubbies first came out the Guy that sat across the partition told Me His Son-in-Law who was a BIG farmer west of the Quad-Cities (Davenport, Ia & Moline, IL) bought a new 1486 and a combine, 1460 Axial Flow and as part of the deal bought a 782 or 982. When You've just bought a $50,000 tractor and $100,000 combine the Cubbie only cost him about $3000 with the mower deck. My co-worker went to the same dealer to buy about the same Cubbie with His "Employee Discount" which IH still had and His cost was almost $5000!
jawdrop.gif
Like everything else....The dealer made it up in Volume!

THANK YOU THANK YOU!
This is the best forum. Now I have to many ideas. I think I will start with a brinly sleeve hitch adapter and build a scaled down version of that tall brinly boom. How does that sound?

Latest posts

Back