Archive through February 03, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kshultz

displayname
Shultzie
Hey guys! Just finished up plowing last night and that's when I remembered that I bought myself a GoPro for Christmas this year.
bash.gif

So all I have is a short video.
I need to get a better mount for it. It is a little shaky just clamped to the hood of my 100.
http://tinypic.com/r/11gkmbl/8]View My Video[/URL]

I got dizzy at first until my eyes caught up with the motion.
biggrin.gif

I might just have to break down and get one of those Go-pros, LOL

I got a video camera yesterday that will take full HD video. much cheaper that GoPro . I have plans to use it next time I snow blow in my Cab and summer MC trips to watch in winter.

http://ca.ioncamera.com/

Shultzie - hey, liked that GoPro video. And don't worry about that cheap camera Don T got north of the border. His video will all be upside down. I'd hate to see Charlie dizzy and standing on his head watching it. Might end with an up-chuck
rofl.gif

Shultzie,
Great video!
Your 100 did a good job with the snow.

I have a question for the hydro experts-Did a IH Cub Cadet 1250 come with a ported pump that was cap off or a non ported pump?

Thanks for the comments guys.
Dale,
Actually the 123 with the thrower done most of the work. I didn't have any way to mount the camera. Next time I will have a good mount on them both.

Dale M - I'm not a Hydro Expert, just prefer Hydro units, but to address your question - I suspect the most but not all 1250's came with a non-ported pump. Most likely it was less costly to IH. Also, based on other recent discussions of a 1250 on here, someone got a 1250 expecting it to have a ported pump and use it on a 1650, only to discover it didn't have the ports.

Now, having said all this, it wouldn't surprise me if you found a 1250 rearend out there with a ported pump. I'm certain hydraulic lift was a "factory option" for the 1250 (it could be ordered by the dealer that way). I doubt it would normally be a "dealer installed option" (because of the pump port issue) but that also doesn't mean a dealer wouldn't have done it if he needed it for the sale.

In conclusion - you will likely find most 1250's, but not necessarily all, will have a non-ported pump.

Under edit - your 100 is doing nice work, but if I tore up my front yard like that my wife would have a xxxx fit!!!

Dale,
I'm with Harry on the 1250 hydro ported vs. nonported. Any nonhydraulic 1250 I've been around did not have a ported pump. Not saying that some did head down the line that way, but I would say a majority of them were nonported. Same thing goes with a 129. My Dad bought brand new a 129 and it is a nonported pump. Later one too. Towards the end of the production run. So......
1a_scratchhead.gif

Here's some interesting reading -

http://www.jsonline.com/business/new-briggs--stratton-lawn-mower-engine-never-needs-an-oil-change-b99433283z1-290423731.html

A good example of Sales and Marketing saying "we need this" while the engineering department says "I don't think so". But nowdays, the engineering staff are just the grunts at the bottom of the pond, who have no real say-so over things like this...even at a major engine manufacturer! (By the way, the above is speculation on my part but I know the drill, based on past experience)

Many customers never change the oil in their walk-behind mowers anyway. Average customer puts about 25 hours per year on their equipment and these small engines are designed for around 250 hours of life, so it all works out. Most of these current vertical shaft mower engines don't even have a drain plug anymore...you tip the mower on its side to drain the oil.

We've really become a throw-away society and it's kind of sickening! I think that's why most of us that frequent this site have a love for a higher quality of machinery (IH Cub Cadets), that can be serviced and can run and perform for virtually a persons lifetime, even several lifetimes.

Rant over.

Harry,
Thanks for the response and comments.
Cub Cadet parts look up shows 2 different part numbers for the hydro pump. I figures one was a ported pump and was a non ported pump.

The yard has been torn up for 3 years. I had some water related issues that are finally fix. The plan is to seed the lawn this year.

My knowledge on hydros is very limited. I'm not a big hydro fan...I only have a 149 and 7 manual trans Cub Cadets. Pushing a clutch pedal for 50 plus years is a hard thing for me to give up. 5 of the 7 manual Cub Cadets are 100s or 70s (2-100s, 1-70 and 2 that who knows what engine will end up in them). The other 2 are an 800 and an Original.

David - just a new opportunity for those of not in the "abuse it and pitch it" category - kits to open the engine up for oil/air filter changes...

I used to teach a small engine class to high school students. I used Briggs and Stratton teaching material. It had some interesting facts:
Average life of a push mower is 2-3 years.
Average life of a lawn tractor is 3-5 years.
Average life of a garden tractor is 5-7 years.

Hey guys I just purchased a replacement suction tube kit for the 125 and was wondering if there is a bulletin or instruction paper available to show how it all fits together as the original is all one piece.

Jim, I believe that should be the same as was used on some later Cubs. Here's a few photos of one on a 107.

293843.jpg

293844.jpg

293845.jpg

I believe these were taken by a former forum member named Bob Bolhuis. I don't recall for sure.
1a_scratchhead.gif
old.gif

This goes under the RANT section:
David Kirk - thanks for posting this info and link. I can't hardly believe it. A walk behind lawnmower that never needs the oil changed. Interesting how they decided that. And GET THIS - it uses an automotive style air cleaner!!!!! (Well, if they can't sell you the oil to use in it now they figured out a way to force you to pay BIG BUCKS to keep the air clean).

AND GET THIS:
Dale M - thanks for posting those average life spans. Interesting the push mower has a 2-3 year lift span. On that basis I should have purchased somewhere between 15 to 23 push lawnmowers in my current life span. The HONEST answer is I've only ever purchase 1 BRAND NEW. The other 5 or 6 have been used mowers, that I fixed.

And they think they're gonna convince this kid to buy a lawnmower that never needs an oil change!!!!

THAT'S THE END OF MY RANT

Jim S - better tell us what you got in your suction tube kit - pics would be even better. I thought the replacements were a one-piece tube. Sounds like you may have gotten an older style right angle tube kit like Kraig just posted pics of. I assume you're replacing your BIG looped tubing style.

A ported hydro ona 1250 was a factory installed option. I've seen acouple of them. It was a pricey option. When we bought the 682 the dealer said to order a 682 with a ported hydro would have been $500.00 more.

Latest posts

Back