• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 03, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eford

displayname
Earl Ford
It was butt cold out there today! Went to the auction and naught. Nice Chevy, but not 4x4. No trailer for my cub either. Blowing snow like no tomorrow and it was a whit-eout at times. 2wd sucks. My buddy got the kohler parts: 3 starter/gens and a K-141s, 6 1/4hp; may have been yellow at one time but is now gray. Were they ever used on Originals? Have a line on a
'10hp 125' is what he told us. All we know for sure is that it's 10hp and a hydro, not the year or model.
He has finally come thru and bought a "community" 2 axle 16 ft. trailer with one axle brake. Now I got something to pull to Charlie's and plowday, not that he knows yet.

STAY WARM FELLARS!
thumbsup.gif

Vern - Now ya don't hurt my eyes ;)

Charlie - You still chewing on that rawhide ?

Brian - Tri ribs wont help much on ice, it may on hard pack but not on ice. Take it from somebody that has had alot of big tractor seat time. I use to grade 2 miles of highway so I could go see my gal when I was younger. It's not fun going down a big hill doing 360's !! The best bet would be studs for winter use but I don't know of studded tires that small. I guess your idea of chains would be worth a try.
thumbsup.gif

Brian - These front tires on my 127 grip real good. Don't know how they'd be on ice though but on a wet grassy hillside they are great.
51057.jpg

Hey guys is it prefered to use leaded fuel in my 70' kohler engine?

Roger C. - I switched to a better tread pattern from the wide ribbed baldies on front. I still slide around some, but it's noticeably better. $25 for both, I think.

51060.jpg

Zach - Yes but you'll need a time machine to buy any.

Will it last as long on unleaded? What did the lead do back in the day? When I rebuild will the newer valves and equip. be more accepting of unleaded?

Lead was an additive to help lubricate the intake system ie... vlaves. The gas had better octane back then too. They took it off the market 20 years or so ago so you have no choice. They say that you need hardened valve seats without the lead but there's a lot of old engines running on unleaded that haven't had their valve seats changed.

Ken,

I understand what your saying. The tread patter that your using looks like it would have a lot of bite, probably a whole lot more than my 'golf cart' fronts. The drive way over here doesn't seem to build much ice 'thank heaven' but the old cub won't steer even in the light snow stuff, some times dew soaked grass is a problem.
thumbdown.gif

The real goal is to prepare for a Plow Day so thats my intrest in other tires along with helping out with the snow. Now weather it works or not remains to be seen but for now I'm just going to deal with the drag slick fronts.
dunno.gif

Jeff B... you could always put a vertical muffler on your cub, or you could put an extension on your existing muffler and point it out twords the front like I did before I got the vertical bug... like this

it is simply a piece of 1 1/2 inch OD pipe that had a 75 degree bend and I cut off the excess, and clamped it to the muffler.
51066.jpg

51067.jpg

51068.jpg

Zach/KentuckyKen-

Leaded fuel is still available, in the form of 100LL for aircraft. However it's about $4+ a gallon, or at least it was in August. And because aviation fuel is on a different scale than car fuel, there's really not much of a point in using it anyway, other that maybe better-smelling exhaust.
happy.gif

Matt - Yeah I knew that but ... I'll just keep my thoughts to myself

was gonna go out and work in the garage and shed today but with it being a balmy -10* I think I'll wait for a warmer day to work on cub projects and stay in the house and have another pot of coffee.
happy.gif

On the subject of leaded gasolines...

Tetraethyl lead is the best anti-knock (octane increasing) additive ever discovered. It is also a deadly poison, both to living things and catalytic converters. The EPA mandated its elimination from automotive fuels in the '70's, and this one of the better things that this organization did.

Other good things about lead - it is a lubricant and promoted valve stem and seat life, and some say extended piston ring life.

Other bad things - lead had a tendancy to foul spark plugs, leave combustion chamber deposits, and form sludge in the oil sump.

Overall, unleaded fuels promote a cleaner engine internally and longer operational life. Since 87 octane unleaded fuels are perfectly suitable for Kohler engines running stock compression ratios of 7 or less, operation on a high octane gasoline is really unnecessary. For valve stem lubrication, a mix of MMO in the fuel provides the same benefits that lead did.

Just my $0.02.

How many companies made loaders for cc's anyway... I have seen alot of cubs with them, but I wasn't sure of the manufacturer.

-5 in the "middle of the mitten" this AM. The little two stroke Sears walk behind finally revealed why the PO sold it - missing the set screw on the motor pulley let the flat drive belt wander. That'll be a quick fix. The 129/QA42 worked great - but we just made a trip to TSC for a can of graphite paint. I've never seen dry snow plug a chute before, but now I have. Usually, if it starts to plug, I switch to ramming speed and it'll clear itself - this stuff plugged and then must have just powdered around the impeller. I would like a cab for this kind of weather.. think I'll be wearing my big 'ol grinding shield when I go back out. (My full face cycle helmet fogs up too quick).

Glenn C. Kyle M. is correct. It is a jelling problem. Too dang cold to run anything unless it is absolutely necessary. This morning, Fancy, our in/outdoor cat wanted to do his morning bathroom chores outside. Angel opened the door and after looking at the world and feeling the blast of cold air he went to the litter box. I let Ol' Frosty (the Dakota) warm up a good twenty minutes before starting out. Everything was still stiff. I aure don't want to be on the 125 even if I did get the hydro and engine warmed up.

Off to get some coffee and raid Angel's milk chocolate baking chips.
bubbly.gif

Glen, thx I think ill try that. I might just have to make it a little longer so i can clear the cab a little more.

Brian, try any lawn tire dealer, and see if they have the studded tires in 4.80X8 or something like that, my neighbors lawn trailer has em on it that sise.

Kendell - here's the one you need , sorry couldn't find pic with shield down.
51071.jpg

Back