• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 28, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
Matt-
Don't forget, once you get a new pin for that axle, you will probably need to touch up the axle pivot area of the frame with a welder as I'm guessing the pivot hole (that holds that pin) is worn out as well. Now would be a good time to ask Richard C to borrow his new "fancy-dancy" carbon hole welding plugs.
happy.gif

On removing the broken off grease-zerk, I've had good luck just removing the spindle so the backside is "open" and then just driving it through with a punch as I think that is just a "barbed" zerk, not a threaded one. (Maybe check the parts look-up first to confirm...)
dunno.gif

Morning Art, i hope for spring here soon. If there isn`t snow for me to plow then i`am looking for Spring and some grass to cut. Have a GREAT new year.And thanks for all your help in 2008 with my Cubs.
worthy.gif

112178.jpg

Richard C.- I wonder about the long term durability of the carbon plugs. Cost of copper is "relative". Relative to WHO You know and what You want. I used to be able to easily get brass bar ends from My screew machine shops. I should have gotten WAY more than I did. Steve B is exactly right about the relationship to welding & grinding. I never try to "drill" weld metal, I have solid carbide rotary burrs for removing excess metal, and most times less weld is better than MORE weld. I have a lot of welders and even MORE grinders, a 7"/9" elec angle grinder, three 4-1/2" angle grinders, three or four air die grinders, a elec. die grinder, three Dremels, and three bench grinders. I used to work for the parent company of Porter-Cable/Delta and 2-3 times a year they'd have tool sales. I wasn't the plant's BEST customer but I was always in the top two or three.
Steve B. does very high quality work on the projects I've seen. I really like what He did to His snow blower with the lights & higher intake.

TOM S. - Your internal brake acts on the lower trans shaft that the pinion that turns the differential is part of. That means You're braking action also runs thru the diff. You can still have one wheel turn freely one way while the other wheel turns the opposite way. If You're brake isn't hung-up then I'm afraid You have more serious transmission and/or differential and rear axle issues. Robert H's diagnosis, even though it's His First post is 100% correct. I think with the 7:1 reduction thru the reduction gears You can turn the input shaft over the resistance of the brake, but trying to push the tractor Your trying to turn the brake Faster and that's why it skids the tires. My $0.02.....

MATT S. - The grooves worn in You're axle pivot pin where probably not lined up correctly with the holes in Your tractor frame. That's why it came out hard. Buy or make a new pivot pin. Anything You do to get grease to the pin will help it last a LOT longer. IH drilled for a zerk in the axle casting, every tractor I've owned has had a zerk on the back side of the right end of the pivot. The axle is supposed to pivot on the pin, appears Your pin pivoted in the bushings on the axle mount. Also, Mike F. is correct, IH used a "LOT" of press-in zerks in assembly, Guess how I know, and also how many I installed when I worked subassembly on WFE axles @ FARMALL? Pull the spindle out of the end of the axle, clean everything up, take a small punch and lightly tap the broken end THROUGH to the inside of the axle, then You can either try to gently tap a new press-in zerk in or drill & tap 1/8" NPT threads and install a regular zerk.

Don-
Right now that's a BEAUTIFUL picture!
happy.gif

We had a MAJOR freeze/thaw cycle this week, so I hear ya on the "can't wait for spring" thoughts!

Last Monday it was -17 on my way to work in the morning. Two days ago it was 40 and foggy with rain all day. Everything was melting quick, but now this morning it's 8 here, so we have piles of ice everywhere.

I hated to do it, but I just got done spreading about 90lbs of salt on the 110 yrd driveway because the ice is almost 3" thick in spots and it's so smooth and shiny you'd almost think it was wet. It's a head-injury waiting to happen!

Now I'm back inside doing this...
coffee.gif

Dennis F. I talked to the company about the long term durability of the Rods and Plates. They said the plates last indefinitely but the rods will get scarred from repeated use, but they are 6 inches long so you can use different areas on the rods and cut off if they get too bad. They sell the parts individually so you can replace one if it gets too bad. Since this is a hobby and not a full time job for me they should do the job. I'm going to give them a try anyway.

RICHARD - Another thing with the carbon rods, You can easily sand/grind a scarred up rod down to a smaller size or make a square, hex, whatever odd shape You need for a special project. With copper or brass You'd probably have to have a lathe.

Art, ever have problems with the salt eating the concrete in your garage?

Good morning, Don T. and All. In reference to your post yesterday, Don, anytime you want to come plow in an area that looked like this not (it doesn't seem) too long ago, you're more than welcome. You plow, I'll pick rocks, how's that for a deal??
bouncy.gif

112181.jpg

My Lord, that old H worked hard for me! I don't know why she never pulled herself in two, especially on some of the Hemlock stumps! I was able to sell her to the son of a guy here in town that was her second owner and she didn't owe me a thing!
Shift.gif
ihrotate.gif

Don T, thanks. But since that was my first restore project there are a few mistakes the camera doesn''t show (luckily). But it's not a parade tractor either, I plow, rototill, and mow now and then with that. I used regular IH enamel on everything with self-etching primer and the finish is holding up great. On my Original I used epoxy primer with IH paint. We'll see which one lasts longer. Nick

Art A. It's 18* outside and last night brought a mild dusting of snow. Like your area, ours has ice all over on the ground. Another day to stay inside.

Don T. I agree. THAT is a neat picture.
buttrock.gif
I'm starting to think about Spring Plow Day already.

Dennis F. Man, I need to live closer to you with all the tools that you have. I still haven't replaced the sweet six inch vice that the neighbor kids and my kids broke. It was a Wilton at that. It was originally given to me becasue the feedscrew had broken. I bought a new one and used it for years. I came home from work one day and along with several of my wrenches and drill bits was the feedscrew all laying on the workbench. Naturally being the curious (and when I found out what had happened... furious) Dad that I was, I asked what happened. It seems the teenage boys (neighbors' and mine) were bored that summer day. They started taking my wrenches and putting them in the vice and whacking them with a sledge hammer until they broke. I was told they had to stop when the vice broke and that I shouldin't be mad because they did it only to the wrenches with a lifetime warranty (which was all of them). "Geez what are you p***** about? You'll get new ones when you take these back." Long story short.... I left the vice and broken wrenches on the acreage when I went through the divorce. My boys ended up taking the wrenches in for "warranty" and found out that some of them weren't covered under abuse. (Kids broke the threads on the vice). I am now slowly buying my own wrenches.

Enough of that. Hope all you fellow Cubbers are staying warm (those of you in the colder ares of the world,) and enjoy the day.

Also, Don, thanks for telling me about #8, here. Not knowing about that bushing had me believing that IH had left a major weak spot in the linkage. I've had a few apart and never a sign of that bushing.
beerchug.gif

112184.gif

Jeff-
No, I don't salt the inside of the garage...
roflol.gif

<font size="-2">But, YES, salt will eat concrete. I put it on the asphalt portion of the driveway, but skip the 20' portion of concrete up by the garage.</font>

Frank C , here you go,i know someone here sells them now. A must have item . Later Don T
old.gif

Jeff , go to your local school and see the clearer and ask them what they use for there finished concrete . those floors are sealed and waxed . salt will ruin them.excell makes a product that is pink when mixed with water. used once a day in and school for 576 small people.

Frank i`ll try that again ! lol
112190.jpg

lol.gif
old.gif

I come up with #IH-394048- R1. $11.05
fence.gif
dunno.gif

OK, you're dealing with #20. I'm looking at #8.
beerchug.gif

IH - Friction Bushing for the Speed Control Lever-PN/IH-680521-R1 use IH-680521-R2

Fits 109,129,149 $ 7.50

Hey Guys, I have a Cub 106 and I heard that if I ran some Marvels Mystery Oil in my gas it would help the smoking and clean the engine as it runs through. Is this True? If so how much do I mix Per Gallon on gas?

JEFF P. - I'm like Art, I don't use salt at ALL. Well, Maybe twice, a few pounds total in 16 Wisconsin winters. When I can find it I use "Chicken Grit", crushed limestone about the size of kitty litter. Works great on ice the FARMALL's can't touch. But My concrete, especially IN the garage is spalling from salt falling off the cars, especially the last two winters.

Marlin - I've been lucky, Son hasn't lost/broken too many tools. I still have most all of the first socket set I bought from back in 1973. Just the Craps-man upgrades and replacements for a couple sockets I've broken are all that's not the original brand.
My "GOOD VICE" is a 100 yr old blacksmith's vice Dad fixed up for Me. My "JUNK Vice" is a 10 yr old BABCO, made in China, that was a POS when I brought it home.

The "Trick" is to never throw ANYTHING away. Yes, SAVE IT ALL. And if You don't have exactly what You need for a job jump in the truck and run to town and get it! Son & I always say "Use the RIGHT tool for the job" The trick is having and being able to find That Right tool! I've gotten a LOT better at My 1985 New Year's Resolution, Getting Organized!

Jeff-
One of the fellas I work with is pretty knowledgeable on aggregates, if I understood what he told me correctly some aggregates react negatively with salt and create an acid that will break down the concrete. Depending on how the batch plant mixed the concrete in the first place, they can add buffers such as fly ash to mitigate some of the effects of salt. If the batch plant or contractor ordering the concrete that poured your garage left out a component such as this, and used the same "recipie" for something like a basement floor; the concrete may erode from salt.

Mike F. I have something here at the house that will work for the spacers for my hydro lift. I collected some slides out of a brake job I did a few years back for a non-mechanically inclined friend of mine and installed the new sliders that came with the brake kit he bought. I need to cut them to length and hope they work. Thanks for the measurments too.

Latest posts

Back