• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 17, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Bell
I drove a big feed truck with a 5 and 4 trans ;The 4 speed trans was a pain to shift until I learned at what rpm`s it liked. I found my 100 would grind the teeth in the tranny and does not like to be shifted wile moving.I thought with a creeper I could split the gears and pull more in second with higher rpm`s .The other creeper I have here can be repaired ; but after seeing it apart , they don`t look very strong and would not take much abuse.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Don-
That's a common misconception regarding creepers. I made the same mistake when I put a creeper in the Plow Special years ago.

They do not "split" gears like a two-speed differential would. I was disappointed when I finally got my Original put back together and realized that instead of split-gears I had the normal 1st gear, 2nd gear, and 3rd gear along with .3-gear, .5-gear, and .8-gear.

Like Paul says, not much help for anything other than throwing snow or tilling. It certainly didn't do much for moldboard plowing.

Oh, and shifting on the fly is a no-no...
rant.gif

Home of the Plow Special
Art ; Please explain ( I had the normal 1st gear, 2nd gear, and 3rd gear along with .3-gear, .5-gear, and .8-gear. )

1a_scratchhead.gif
? the what does the creeper add or take away ? Lost way up here where we are getting rain , NO SNOW .

Just started snowing here in fort atkinson, not too far from madison. I guess lunch break today will be spent double checking the cubs making sure everything is ready to go push or throw.

DON - What ART means is that the 4:1 reduction in the creeper makes all the creeper gears slower than the normal 1st gear, or 3/10ths, 5/10ths, & 8/10's MPH gears, and 1st is 2.3, 2nd in a 70/100/71/102/122 is 3.2, 3rd in all GD CC's is 6.8 MPH, in the 72/104/124/73/106/126 2nd is 3.9 MPH. And in the WF's 2nd is abour 3.5 MPH, the difference between a 16 tooth, 19 tooth, and 17 tooth drive gear. I may be off on when the changes to the 2nd gear speed changes were put in place... I'm pretty sure one change was made in mid-stream of a model series, think the change from 16T to 19T in the 71/102/122. Not taking the time to check ALL the owners manuals in the manual sections or the parts look up.

PAUL - After PD #1 Wyatt & I got talking about making a T/A for a CC. At the end of my first round plowing after ALL those years running Super M-TA's, 450's, I instictively reached up to pull the T/A back to slow the tractor down and keep the RPM up when I got to the end of the field.

SOME day, I'm going to build the SUPER GT that IH should have built, transmission out of an A or B Farmall, 4-spd, not 3-spd, heavier final drives, etc. AND a T/A. Not sure what I'll use for an engine, maybe use the slant-4 152 CID(half a 304 V8) from a Scout to keep it all IHC, but then the C152 from an H already has the governor I'd need.

It only looks like Denny is reaching for the lift handle, he's actually reaching for an imaginary T/A handle...

<font size="-2">And, yes, I know the T/A would be on the left side...</font>

250703.jpg

Denny at PD 1.

Denny that looks like your 72 with inside and outside rear wheel weights, nice,
but a black engine. Was that replaced or rebuilt?

I pulled this of my "used OEM parts bin", I believe the PO may have been making a lift extender, primitive of Arrons

250707.jpg

and the pin the PO used
250708.jpg

Gotta say I'm a bit jealous of u guys gettin snow. Bought a blade for my 129 along with chains and weights last year. Here in md I haven't had a chance to use it yet and it certainly doesn't look like it anytime soon. I want to get out and play too!

Kraig,
In reply to Dennis' post "he's actually reaching for an imaginary T/A handle..." GOOD ONE!
Hmmmmm a T/A on a Cubbie...............

Hey - we're getting light snow/sleet out here in the Seattle area, but mostly melting hitting the ground. No predictions of accumulations, except in the mountains where they don't mention inches, only feet. I know it's coming your way guys, and for all of you that have been good boys and girls will arrive for Christmas. (And for anyone with a 1x8/9 that hasn't checked the tail light lenses to see if there is no 75 at the end - well, you aint' being very good)

KRAIG - You were close, it was at the end of that round that I was grabbing for the T/A that WASN't there.

I broke my home-made sleeve hitch aerating the lawn this fall. The draft link on the left side broke in two just ahead of the upright attached to the lift bar. Guess that's what I get for welding together pieces of scrap to make something. Darned thing didn't even last thirty years, think I made it in 1983. But the steel broke right next to the weld, the weld didn't break. Making a new one, maybe even adjustable for lift height is planned for this winter.

I remember driving home from that plow day I ran thru snow & sleet from just south of Rockford the rest of the way home. And there I was plowing in Roanoke without even a jacket on!

JEFF - That 72 had a 2-3 yr old K181 when I bought it in Jan '81. Spring of '85 I rebuilt a K241 and installed it, that was what was in it in that picture. I like the looks of the black engines in yellow/white CC's so paint all my engines black. In 2003 I bought a K321 out of a 147 from Don Vogt and rebuilt it, but couldn't get the Alcoa rod that Dave Kirk uses in his Killer Kohler's so it sat for 2 years. I finally found a rod, and finished and installed the K321 in 2005. The K241 ran for 1400 hours on it's rebuild, and I have right around 200 on the K321. The old K241 is supposed to be rebuilt this winter for installing in the 70 for SON to mow with next summer. I suppose I should get started on that. When I rebuilt the K241 the shop I had do the machine work suggested KNURLING the piston instead of boring/honing O/S and replacing it, so it's still a well worn stock size bore. The head was warped over 1/16th inch and the shop planed the head for me. I NEVER replaced the head gasket in all those 1400 hours. That head is getting reused. The K181 that was in that 72 when I bought it got freshened up, new rings, exh valve, light hone on the bore and is on my home-made lawn vac.

And the answer is YES, I NEVER throw anything away.

The creeper handle would have to be different on a wide frame to account for the slanted tunnel
cover. If was pinned the same it would hit the end of the slot before fully engaging. I think thats why Paul B said to stick a pin thru both and check the angle.

I snapped off the clamp (circled in blue) for the throttle cable. (should have know it didn't need that last turn to tighten it).

Does anyone know the part number(s) to replace it? Is my local small engine place likely to have a generic version that might work?

Thanks

250729.jpg

James S.
Hit that parts Lookup button above, enter in the model of your tractor, Select assembly, then click the engine and blow it up, that part is there.
thumbsup_old.gif

MIKE F. - Actually I was being facetious.

The only thing ANY of the Cubbies are going to be doing the next couple days is BE IN THE WAY.

Latest update this AM was 10 to 16 inches of snow total starting tonight around 7-8 PM, 5 to 8 inches by day break tomorrow then snow stopping around 3-4 PM tomorrow. Over in a couple areas around Joseph Smith's part of the country the snow accumulation map had a few spots that may see as much as 20-24 inches.

Supposed to be a dryer snow than we had a week ago so blowing & drifting will be bad with 20-30 MPH winds gusting to 40 MPH. Temps will be around 31 degrees tonight, 16 tomorrow night, and 8 degrees the following night.

Yep, not a good time to play with little tractors.

Charlie,

I probably spent an hour looking at the parts pages, and I can't figure out which part is the circled one.

Can anyone help?

They upgraded me from the 3-6" band to 5-8". I guess the 1650 with cab enclosure and QA42A will get a workout. I didn't get the chains installed yesterday but the driveway is not frozen so the ags will still get a good bite. I will get the chains installed this weekend.

Latest posts

Back