• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 11, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry Bliler,
We're supposed to get some snow this weekend!! Are you ready?

I've got my 1450 with blade at work in the warehouse to clean off the sidewalks and the CCO and loader at home for my drive and maybe the neighbors too. Gonna cut some firewood Saturday and hope to work the Cubs Sunday.

Fun fun!
Keith

Keith - Please post some more pics of that sweet looking Original Danco Loader
drool.gif

Ken/ all,

I bought this CCO from Jerry B in July of 06. I really didn't get working on it until the winter and finally finished this summer/fall to show at our local steam/gas show, Steam-o-Rama.

This is what it looked like when I got it home.
71599.jpg

In progress after Thanksgiving 06.
71600.jpg

I refitted the loader to work out some bugs. Jerry had been using him a little hard and the left loader arm was lower than the right as the center tie had twisted while digging out some 5" rock to move during landscaping around his house.
71601.jpg

I took it as is to a cousin's Memorial Day tractor show at his house. He's an AC collector, not all of these are his, but most. And that's was my new son Rowden with me. He was born May 2 this year so we had to take him and show him off to family and friends.
71602.jpg

Put some new tri-ribs on in the 3.50-8 size so the bucket can dig deeper since it's just gravity drop.
71603.jpg

Went to the muffler shop and had some 1-1/2" stainless tube bent for the straight pipe... $5, nice guy. He was replacing the gears in his Crapsman lawn tractor rearend when I stopped by.
71604.jpg

I got the tractor decals from a guy in Fenton, MO on eBay and the Danco decals from Scott Urschell
71605.jpg

I've really only got to use it once or twice so far. I unloaded a new rolling tool chest out of my truck I got for Fathers Day from Sears. A lot easier on the back. No pics of that, but of how high it lifts.
71606.jpg

A friend with a nicer camera helped me take some pics in a field near the house. I really like the contrast in this and my profile photo.
71607.jpg

Anyway, I've really enjoyed working on this project. It's not perfect, and I don't care. I used VanSickle spray bombs to paint everything. Not all parts are exact or original, but it all works. I need/want to get the cylinders rebuilt and found a shop that can do them resonable. I hope to make it up to Columbia, MO for RPRU in June.

I really want to get a 73 and use just for pulling implements like aerator and dethatcher and trailer, but until I get a storage building that will have to wait.

Keith

Keith: do not apologize if we wanted 110% perfect ones we would go buy new oops second thought no we wouldn't. The restoring, or just fixing up, learning and satisfaction of doing what you did is priceless.

Great Job.

Pops

Keith:
Looks great!
Any idea how much you can pick up without an additional counterbalance on the back? Also - how wide is the bucket?

Craig: Never was an ugly Cub - right Charlie???

BEN - Having been around when Dad bought a brand new '63 Cub Cadet and a brand new '65 CC 70 there never was a 100% Perfect CC from the factory. Both had paint runs or other issues when they came out of the crate. Most Refurbished CC's are better than anything from the factory in LVL.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Not sure exactly sure how much it will lift, I'd say at least 150-200lbs without counter balance. The manual says 300 lbs capacity with 200 lbs counterweight required. I did use it to pull the K321AQS out of my 1450 to rebuild the motor mounts and when I was lowering the motor to the floor it was going down too fast and when I let up on the lift control lever the back end of the tractor came off the ground. I wasn't seated and had to jump over and put my hand down on the seat to keep the motor from hitting the garage floor. Man was I nervous about that aluminum oil pan...

The loader came with some counter balance weights to mount to the loader frame and hang back out behind the rearend, but I'm afraid the extra 100+ lbs were sort of flexing the axles. I'll probably mount the weights this weekend to move snow and then remove them until needed again. Just so all the weight isn't just sitting there.

What do you all think about the extra weight just sitting? Do you think the Original axles can take it, or am I just worrying for no reason?

This Cub is a worker/show tractor so that's why I didn't care so much about making everything so nice. The hood has some dings and such. I didn't repaint the
ihrotate.gif
to show it's age and what it could have looked like if the rest of the tractor wasn't freshened up. The way I look at it, if it were closer to perfect... I wouldn't want to use/ trailer it anywhere. And that's no fun.

Keith

keith my first tractor was a cc and i had a weight box on it for years weighted 300# or better and never hurt it. Traided it for the 106 that i still have wish i had it back now.

Keith-
Neat photos, especially the "field" photo!

I agree with Jim. Load up the back of that tractor, and don't worry about it. You're not going to break a rear axle, and in my opinion the wear that happens to the rear axle bushings is more due to "mileage" and not throwing some grease at them as opposed to heavy weight on the back.

In my opinion, you actually stand more of a chance of breaking something because there wasn't enough weight on the back like in the situation you described earlier.

Again, this is all my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.....

Latest posts

Back