• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 11, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, the one on the end is a Hydrostatic 656, the one with the reversed rear tires is a gear drive 656. Not sure but one might also be a diesel.
dunno.gif

Greetings from South Texas. I've been visiting your website and reading all the posts lately. I enjoy reading the forum when I take a break for lunch at work (high speed internet). At home I have dial up connection which takes a while.
I enjoy the snow pictures. Reminds me when I was stationed at Rock Island Arsenal from 1979 to 1984. I have two Cub Cadets that I acquired this year. One is a 122 and the other is a 782. Both need a lot of work. I need a wiring harness for the 782 since the mice decided to make a nest and chewed up the wires.
Thanks for all the advice you provide to the members. I'll post pictures of the two tractors when I get a chance.

Art, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
Looking forward to the Cub Cadet photos.
bouncy.gif
Have you noticed we like Cub Cadet photos?

I've got a bit of a stupid question, that could have been solved if I wouldn't have been so impatient and took parts out of their packages;
On a "large valve" engine like a K321 or K341, how do you visually tell the difference between the exhaust valve and the intake valve?

I need help, i went to FAQ and found out some information but i need to locate one.
I need 3 1/2 pulley for my QA42 that is on my 682. can someone tell me where i can get one. I did try to contact two of the suppliers above but have not heard from them.

Donald H.
I dunno about the other supplier but I know of one that you called that was gone all day.
biggrin.gif

Now on to your question, a QA42 will not fit or hook up to your 682. Now if it's a QA42A your gettin closer.

The 682 PTO is for a 5/8" belt and the QA42 is for a 1/2" belt, so the pulley you would want would be a 3/4 x 3 1/2" x 5/8.
thumbsup_old.gif

Kraig,

Yes one is a hydro, one a gasser!!!!

KENtuckyKen

The front tri-ribs are very worn, so much so that all 3 ribs are touching the ground. I do have a set of 12" boat trailer tires in 4-12 but they are so dry rotted I doubt they would even hold a tube inside of them any more.

I did make up a set of chains for the rear tires today. I took 2 sets of double space link chains and made one chain for each tire.
The chains made a lot of differencd in how well the tractor pushes the snow, however even with a 26lbs wheel weight on each front tire the front end still pushes sideways.
I tried widening the path to the parts shed with the 100 & snowblade and when the going got tuff the front slid sidways for a few feet befor comming back to normal.

Lonny - Have you thought about studs or chains on the front. I don't know if the front would be weighted enough though for chains to bite. Maybe when you break down and buy new front tires you could find some 12" for a selfpropelled snowblower.

Dennis - When I made my double chains I just used what I dug out of the tool shed at the farm. FREE ;)

KENtuckyKen

I was thinking of a set of 4.80-12 super lugs might work to hold the front from sliding, but than I would have to also invest in another set of cub 154 rims/hubs so I could have the best of both seasons.

Steve-
I was supposed to know that?!?!?!?

When it comes to big tractors, I know they're either Red or Green (preferrably Red!) and the big wheels go on the back..... Beyond that.....NADA!
happy.gif

Here's a picture adding to my question earlier on the valves.
I'm beginning to think that the one on the left is indeed an exhaust valve. I tried taking a file to an edge that would only be marked cosmetically and I can't remove any material with a file. On top of that I already "cleaned up" the head of the valve, and didn't have it ground to the 30 degree angle that my intake is cut at. BUT if anyone notices any telltale signs that the one on the left is an intake valve, I'd appreciate someone letting me know. Thanks for bearing with me, as this project has been shuffled around since 2001.
71580.jpg

BTW- in the process of educating myself in an attempt to tell the difference, I found out that Kohler actually made stellite intake valves as well.

Ya know, sometimes it pays to open a box you get in the mail to see the quality of work done on battery hold downs.
71582.jpg

Kraig,

My post earlier shuld have read one hydro and one gear (not gasser)....they both look like gas engines to me. Too much typing, not enough thinking.

Wyatt the exhaust valve is usually 2-3 thousands smaller on the stem due to expansion of the stem mic them and one will be smaller or put it in and when it gets hot it will stick.Some times you can feel the clearance in the guide it will be looser.

Mike-
Thanks! I've just got a calipers, but checking and double-checking, the one I was pretty sure was the exhaust measured .309 and the known intake valve measures .311.

Aaytay: At least the pickups didn't pretend to be good looking! That thing is so ugly it is exactly the kind of junk I'm liable to bring home just to frighten my wife. That's how the 129 got here...and the PUG...and the Ariens...and the Howard Rotovator 350 (now there's an ugly piece of work).

Latest posts

Back