• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 06, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,
>If I decided to make my own spindles would #8 bolts be strong enough for the pivot and the axle?
-They'd be appropriate for the knuckle kingpins, but not axle pivot... Grade 8 can get pretty brittle, and the axle-pin might snap under a good shock. You won't be drilling a Grade 8 to stick a roll-pin through it...

So what would you recommend?

Robert L. -

It's certainly possible to mask off the decals (I've done this for touch-ups), but if you're going to actually restore the tractor, why not buy the decal kit? Who knows what might be "bubbling" under the surface of the current decals
wink.gif

Decal sets are available from our sponsors or thru your local dealer.

Paul B2, nice job on the 1250! I like the blue grill screen but the "cattlewreck" crest would have to go. :eek:)

Slim,
I've had three hoods sandblasted and saved the decals. You can put three layers of masking tape over the decals or even use electrical tape for the last layer. If the decals are in good shape there should be no damage to them when you remove the tape. You might want to use some fine sandpaper along the edges when you remove the tape.
Bill

Bill, thanks for the tip.

Bryan, because I'm frugal .... er .... thrifty .... er .... OK I'm just plain cheap. No really, if I need to I will definitely buy one from the sponsors. This is my first cadet "restoration". I plan on using it and not making a "trailer queen".

Thanks.

Terry-
Plain ungraded 3/4" bolts work just fine for an axle pivot. Assuming the absolute worst loading you'll wreck the saddle that's welded to the frame long before you even tweak that bolt. I've got one in both my tractors, I use a jam nut that's drilled for a set screw to retain the bolt. A standard nut won't clear the oil pan.

Ken, Wyatt:

Checked compression, it is very good. Checked fuel flow, it is good as well. I have had about 2-4 hours of 3rd and 1st grade homework each night this week, so I have not drained out the fuel and tried it. That is my next guess.

By the way, my son told me we needed to do a Diarama for his class on the Kickapoo Indians. After 5 hours, 1 piece of foamboard, 1 can of paint, felt, a baloon, walpaper paste, newspaper, toothpicks, Lego's, markers, lettering, corn, glue, and one dead paper deer, I realized it wasn't an Indian dance.
happy.gif

Thanks for the help guys!

Joe

Grade 8 Bolts & drilling.

I have never had any problems drilling grade 8 fasteners...we're not talkin' tool steel here. A good sharp drill bit and reasonable drilling technique will get it done every time.

I run grade 8 3/4" bolts in my axle pivots, cut to specific length and cross drilled for an abreviated slotted nut......no issues with how it works, or with making them.

STEVE B. - Yep.... grade #8 is considered machineable.... Sharp bit, little oil, slow speed... and watch the chips fly.

Good afternoon,
Looking for some advice on an Ag-Lug tire. I use a Model 124 with a Brinly scraper blade to level out sand and dirt. The original turf tires do not provide enough traction on the slick Texas clay to allow me to pull much of a load without spinning my wheels. What is the largest tire size I can fit under the fenders? 23-10.5-12 or possibly 23-12-12 Any specific brands that seem to work better than others? I have been looking at a set of Carlisle Super Lugs.

Hi Robert, I just masked the decals, sanded around them and painted with a basecoat. I then unmasked and cleared over the whole surface. This gives the decal a shiny appearance and UV protestion also. Thanks for the compliment, Paul

Kraig, thanks also. The grille emblem is sort of "tongue in cheek" if you will. Just did it to be kooky. Later, Paul

AH, you clear coated over everything. That's why it looked so good. Thanks for the tip. Did you have to do any prep work to the decal to make sure the clear coat stuck?

Thanks Paul.

slim

(Message edited by RDLearned on December 07, 2004)

Just before I moved here, the lady down the street sold her house. She asked the new buyers if they wanted the old tractor in the barn, but they said they didn't want it. The mover piped up, "I want it!", and drove home with a free Farmall Cub in the back of his moving van.

Paul B2, yeah I figured that, but I couldn't help commenting on it. :eek:)

David Mc,
A couple years ago I ordered a pair of 23-10.5-12 Carlisle Ag tires
from the local Farm & Fleet and after waiting 3 weeks and four phone calls later
they said they were NLA...so they offered a pair of NanKang for ~ 8 bucks less per tire.
Tired of waiting, i took them and now regret it. After plowing my sweet corn patch, I noticed gouges and small chunks missing in
the bars from the abrasive stalks...this was after mowing the stalks and
letting them rot for three weeks.
I don't know if it happened while mowing and it was the driving over the
stubs or the deck propelled debri into the tire(mowed with deck up), but noticed it after plowing.
So as they say "You get what you pay for".
I would definetly go for Carlisle or Stones.

David M.

10.50 rubber may not fit well on your rims if you currectly have 8.50 tires (as most narrow frames did). You can do it, but the tires will roll out over the bead and may interfere with the deck gauge wheels.

If it were me, I would get a set of Firestone 8.50 rubber for your beast.......if they won't pull what you want to pull nothing else will either.

FWIW, I buy Firestone, Carlisle, or Titan tires (except for tri-ribs) and stay away from the cheap imports (again, except for tri-ribs).......there is a lot of truth to the "you get what you pay for" line.

Robert, I LIGHTLY scuffed the the decal with a Scotch Brite. Lightly because it is already dull. I used a citrus cleaner to get the oil and grime off and not damage the colors. Came out pretty well in the end. Paul

Thanks for the input on the tires. I guess I will go with the 8.50 Carlisle Super Lug. The ground here is real squishy when the clay gets saturated. I thought a little wider would be better to support the weight of one of these tractors. I tend to sink and dig ruts in the soft spots.

Hi all, got a question for you. I have a 42" blade with frame and lift bracket and I would like to know if it is for a wide or narrow frame. The connection frame (at the back that goes to the rear of the tractor) measures 7" for the ID. The front pin bracket measures almost 13". Would this not be for a narrow frame?

Thanks, GRP

23818.jpg

Late wide frame blade, late 82 series or newer.

Latest posts

Back