• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 06, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy all.

I said I would post something up here yesterday, sorry, I'm a day late. I had just finished up an e-mail and the power blacked out. 55 F, rainy, and windy. Isn't it winter? Hopefully it will hold out a week so I can get it running and then I'll be plowin' snow.

I found this (see pic 1)while checking out the wiring, it looks a little suspect. Something about exposed (picture hanging?) wire doesn't seem like it came from a factory. I'd guess the VR itself is stock.

I got some old shots also, not much has changed on the body of the tractor since then.

Side view. Note the spray-painted hood, front tire. I don't have aluminum footrests, those are spray painted as well. I didn't do it

Front view. No grill, no headlight panel, but I got bulbs by themselves. Need some washers to fix the front wheel tilt. See that shiny tire? The guys I got it from spray painted the tires. Why? "Cause it looks cool." My poor molested tractor.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THEIR TIME AND HELP.

23824.jpg

23825.jpg

23826.jpg

New member here. First time posting. I recently purchased a Cub Cadet mower ,not sure what year model it is. I was hoping someone could give me some info. Tha engine model is K301A and the number under that reads 47446 and the engine serial is 3271457 all this is on the engine. On the rear end plate it has 2050042U404087 and on the trans. under the mower upside down it reads 385058P. It also says 86 on the hood decal. Any information would be much apprieciated. Thanks Scott.

(Message edited by spatterson on December 07, 2004)

Dave K.,
I did not have much hopes in the powersteering pump being able to handle the work load, but it is what I have here now. I think my best bet is to go with all new stuff, so I will have to do some shopping around at Northern Hydraulic and Surplus Center and any other place I can find a good deal on what I am going to need to build this loader. No sence building a loader that is under powered and useless.
Thanks for all the advice and info.

Zach there is suppose to be a ground wire from the regulator metal to the tractor frame , that appears to be it , it makes the circuit loop.
You might be lucky that they didn't chop it and put hydrauliics on all 4 corners
bouncy.gif

Scott P ,you have a 12 hp kohler and if the hood is correst to the tractor its a model 86 which was originaly an 8 hp kohler. there are not a lot of 86 mods. around.

(Message edited by rpatton on December 07, 2004)

Lonny- PS pump will be wheezy. They'll work okay for running a lift-cylinder, but you'll want the loader hydraulics to have balls. The tractor you're fitting with a loader... do you plan on dedicating it to the loader, or were you going to try and run other implements with it?

If you dedicate it to the loader, the best way of doing it, is to get a pump that turns counter-clockwise, and mounting it to a plate on the PTO side of the engine. You can use a V-belt drive, but my preference is to use a flat toothed-belt, to guarantee that the pump lasts longer. Then you use a new pump (they're $120-$150 depending on what features you want). A simple steel plate will do the job- if you'd like a drawing of the plate I made for Loader-Mutt, I'll send 'ya a PDF when I get back home.

Scott Patterson- the K301 is a 12hp engine. On Kohler engines that used a starter-generator, if the engine is painted yellow, it's most likely an engine that originally came in a Cub Cadet. If the engine is black, then the engine most likely was purchased from Kohler or through IH as a 'Service Replacement' motor. As others noted, the 86 is a lower-production model, so there's historical potential there. Since there's a 12 in it already... if it works... keep using it, but if you come across an appropriate vintage 8hp Kohler in rebuildable condition, you might want to snag it and stow it away for someday when you might want to restore it to factory condition. I believe your tractor, as configured, is now the equivalent of a 126. Hopefully it isn't too trashed-out... post pictures!!!

Texas David- I believe That 'clay' you have is patented stuff... it's definately a challenge. Agricultural traction usually involves some level of 'sinking in'... but once you get more than about 1/3 into the goo, the ability to develop pull goes away. You MIGHT consider going to dual-wheels. Up here in black-dirt country, soil cohesion is high enough so that we can run aggressive AG treads and substantial amounts of wheel weight and other ballast, and get really great drawbar capacity, and do very little damage to the sod. With your soil... especially the high sand-component areas, you'll find that ag-tires will pull up grass a bit more. If you're not concerned about lawn damage, or your area has an unusually thick sod/thatch layer, you can load it with weight and get some impressive results. Another option is to put tire-chains on your turf-tires, but I'll guarantee you that a good drawbar load will cause you to leave a mark where you pull... the chains will claw earth like a mountain-lion.

<font color="ff0000"><font face="arial,helvetica"><font size="+1"> Does anyone out there know how many of each 82 model that International Harvester made from Sept 1979 April 1981? I tried to figure it out from the serial numbers lists, but wasn't able to.

982 =
782 =
682 =
582 =
582S=
482 =
Any and all help would be appreciated.

animatedIHbear.gif
pop.gif
</font></font></font>

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like its newer than I thought it was.Its in great shape. I'll take pics soon and post them. First thing I done when I got it home was drian oil and gas then refilled it. Next I pulled battery out of my new 21hp murry and cranked it up. It runs and mows great Ive been pulling the kids around the yard in their little wagan with it. My plans are to restore it (mostly sanding and fresh paint for now) and then use it from time to time. That is as soon as we find a new home. Hurricane Charlie claimed ours. Oh yeah I live in Florida by the way.

(Message edited by spatterson on December 07, 2004)

Larry -

You can't figure it out because the information isn't available. Just like you can't determine how many 169s, 149s, 129s or 109s were built.

<FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> either didn't keep such records or they haven't been uncovered yet.

Or nobody's shared it with us
noshare.gif

Dave K.,
I have seen your pic's of loader mutt and I like what you did.
I plan on useing the hydraulics only for the loader, this is the same tractor I plow my garden with and I dont have a problem with the strong arm spring assist lift for that.
The only thing I will be doing is dropping the loader for plowing and changing back to 23X6-12 tires for plowing.

Hi Lonny!

Okay, well, power-steering is the cat's meow for loaders, but there's a bit of fabricating, another valve, and plumbing involved, so it's not a 'bolt-on' affair by any means. The rear lift isn't a tough deal, but with one more valve on your loader's spool (three instead of two) and a strategically located cylinder, you could have hydraulic lift with minimal complexity.

As for removing the loader, if you have the ability, leave the loader ON, but remove the bucket. This will save you the effort of dealing with hydraulics. An even more popular method for making the transition from loader to plow... and this has got to be the least complicated, and most popular technique...

...is to snag a second Cub Cadet... :-} And rig it just for plowin'!!!

(But honey, this one's all set up for runnin' the loader, and it takes long hours just to change it all around... besides, they don't take up nearly as much space as a Farmall M...)

Dave,
I do have 2 other IH cubs in the line up, a 123 for mowing, a second 102 in 122 clothes with electric lift, and the 102 I want to put a loader on. I do have the hydro lift pump off the 123 but I know it wont hold enough oil to operate even one 16inch cylinder.
The 102 I plan on putting the loader on is being fitted with the fender deck off a 126 so I can install the IH windbreaker cab, than comes the figureing out how to run the supports for the loader.

Lonny,

You won't get an IH windbreaker to go on a tractor with a loader without some modifications to the windbreaker...FWIW

Zach,
Unless I'm missing something from your photo...
The "front wheel tilt" is called camber. That angle is built-in and required for proper tracking.

And, as Ken already pointed out, the bare wire on the V/R is a braided (usually copper) ground strap and is normal.

23834.jpg

(Message edited by cholloway on December 08, 2004)

Steve,
Now you tell me.
pop.gif

I know it will require some modification, and I am some what good at modifying stuff, I just hope to do a good enough job so it looks ok when I am finished.
When I get this project starded I will have to snap some pics.

Dave K2, an 86 is a wide frame and one with a K301 in it would be equal to a 128. A 126 is a narrow frame. :eek:)

Lonny,
I decided to build a one arm loader. I didn't want to overload the tractor. I have seen the two armed loaders and it looks to me like the tractor is doing everything it can just to manage the loader let alone a load. With only one arm the hydraulic system can be designed smaller. I mounted my pump on the left side of the tractor right where the ignition coil is located. The belt is ran over to the pulley that is between the drive shaft and the fly wheel. That pulley doesn't have much strength to handle a side load. I easily fixed this issue by extending the drive shaft mounting bolts through the pulley to a steel plate that is mounted on the flywheel. I have 3 manual valves. One for the bucket, one for the bucket lift, and one for the deck lift. I mounted the loader so that I can still use my attachments. I have a front mounted blade, a snow thrower, and the deck. The bucket is attached to the boom with two, one inch pins. If I am not using the bucket I pull the pins. This keeps the weight off the front end.
Here is a link to some pictures. I plan on redoing these pictures this weekend, these pictures were pre-hydraulic deck lift.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcbusch/

Lonny...look at the post of the pictures that charlie put up on Dec 4/04 at 9:34a.m. for me.
This is a homemade loader, and a home made 3-point hitch, using a total of 4 spools, plus it has power steering added, and all of this uses the rear end as the reservoir....no problems yet....except that there is a slight problem with the self leveling, but we think we know were we went wrong, and will correct it on our next one.......
lurking.gif

Back