• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 02, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need some opinions. Looking to buy my first cub cadet, but will be a working tractor. I've got about 2 acres to mow and a 500 ft driveway to plow.

Found a 124, 1650 and 782 close to me. They're all in about same price range. They all have 4ft decks. Anything I should be looking for to stay out of trouble? Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

Daniel H-

That's an easy one. You buy the 1650 for mowing, the 782 for the drive, and the 124 for a restoration project.

Most of the guys here prefer hydros for mowing mainly because it's easier than shifting gears while steering. It would work just fine with scraping/leveling the drive too. The 1650 and 782 will be easier to work on than the 124 with it being a nf tractor. Don't get me wrong; the 124 is a great little tractor as well. I have two and really like both. Engine and chassis condition are things to consider on any purchase as well.

I'm sure others will chime in and help with your questions. Just beware that you're entering a world of the wild and crazy; it's called yellow fever (or something like that). You did pick the best website for IHCCs though so good move.

Good luck!

Daniel Hess

Welcome to the form
groupwave.gif
With my Yellow fever issue I would buy them all.The narrow frame makes these tractors a little harder to work on do to space. the 1650 has iso mounts for the 16K and they would probably need work or replaced. I would buy them all and have a job for them all. I like the idea to have a attachment for each. I just bought a tiller and think I will install that on my 147 and just leave it on there.My biggest issue with these Cubs is having a place to store them.My shop should be 100' long and then I would be good for room lol. I vote for the 1650 as to what I would buy. Get your self a blade and a few other attachments and have a blast.
thumbsup_old.gif
old.gif

Daniel H.-

If you have to buy one, get the 782. It is the smoothest-running, easiest to work on of the models you mention. My 782 is the only one of my tractors that gets used year-round.

can synthetic oil be used in the old 1x9 cubs? and if so, what type? Just wondering about those hard winter start-ups, if this would help but not affect my two cubs in a negative way

James, I've run 5W-50 full synthetic in my '73 149 for 15 years now, without issue... however, I would have to recommend a zinc-phosphorus (ZDDP) additive, due to the fact that oil manufacturers have decreased the amount in new oils. Diesel oil used to have higher levels, but not so anymore... IMO, the hydro is the sticky wicket on cold starting... Later CCC cubs had a driveshaft decoupler to let the engine start on it's own. I have also added a group 70 car battery to aid in starting, too... Some guys use magnetic block heaters on the hydro, too... Do a search for oil debate, this has been discussed before...

help.gif

Is there a way to tell yr. of mfg. on this K161s
engine.MODEL#616077 spec# 28442E? I went to KOHLER engine codes but it only goes back to 1965
as far as I can tell.
Thanks all,
Rod

So I'm back to having issues with starting the 122. I turn the key and the engine turns until, I believe, the compression in the cylinder builds up enough and it stops. If I pull the spark plug it turns over and over like there is no tomorrow. So I was at Sears yesterday and picked up a compression gauge, then I read that it will tell me nothing with this engine. Will it tell me if my ACR is broken, or should I return it before I cut the package open?

William, It will tell you if it is broken, I believe... Does it turn over fast when you jump the tractor from your car? Try going roght to the terminal on the S/G. This will rule out electrical. The S/G may need attention, such as new brushes, or perhaps the field is misaligned... Some parts store will lend you that tool for free with a deposit...

James, one more thing... IH recommends a certain non-detergent, single weight oil in their manuals, albiet they are 30+ years out of date... The cam lobes are the concern with modern oil w/o ZDDP. I took my K321 out of my 149, and it looks new... When it goes back into my 107, it'll get synthetic with a ZDDP additive... There is a lot of misinformation out there on synthetic that just is not true anymore... JMO

1a_scratchhead.gif

William: When you put the question that way, a compression guage SHOULD tell you if your ACR is working or not. If it were me, I'd check one of your other engines with it, then compare it to the one you're having problems with. That said, I'd look for a grounding or timing issue first. Remember - "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Back!".
Turn the page.
angel.gif

Latest posts

Back