Archive through December 02, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie,
Whats the official name of that hydraulic lift pump so I can google it. I didn't find anything on the sponsors websites.

Fellow members,
For the spelling challenged. http://www.iespell.com/

John Lang,
I've been tellin you that for years, LOL
Course that black special is ok, grin

Terry B.
The guy that knows those things may post to fill everyone in that's new to the forum.

Zach - to test the solenoid, you run a jumper wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the small center terminal onm the starter solenoid. This should crank over the starter. Should also be an audible "click".

TB why go off to another site to get a spell check ... us hillbillys use our mail program
wink.gif

Digger I'm almost ready to come back out of hiding and play with you again ... got 1 more blasted tool to make , I thought I was caught up until I looked at my list ! I might be able to get the ol lady new glasses after all (if I don't have to buy anymore tooling)

Zach if you still can't get that blame Kohler to crank over , take a sledge hammer and let some of the compression out the side of the block
wink.gif
working on one over the forum is hard to do , hands on would be a matter of you suppling the coffee ... bring it on down , up er whichever direction yer comming from
happy.gif

Regarding Dave Kamp's back tires...
I think they look different because they are different. The RH tire doesn't have the same tread pattern as the left one. If memory serves me, the LH looks like a Goodyear and the RH is a Cub Cadet-branded whatever it is from a much newer Cub.

And as for the wheels, the best that I can recollect is that they're from a 682 that passed through here. But that is a long shot. I can't remember getting anything that's not Cub-sourced through here. Except maybe a "roller"-Massey, right Travis...
wink.gif

I'm just skip reading today, but I'm inclined to agree with Digger - either find some SGT wheels that'll give you the clearance you desire or work up some spacers that'll do the same.

And regarding weight, weight gain, cameras and camera angles, etc. It's important to remember one thing - you can't drive a spike with a tack hammer (so it pays to have a big a$$).

Wow! So many opinions, so little time.

Help!! I have a Johnson Workhorse loader on a 126 but do not have any manuals or specs for the loader. Would someone please help me.

What I'm asking for now is if there where manuals with this piece of equipment?

FWIW Wheels with more clearance:
Look to green tractors with all-wheel-steer they have lots of offset to them. Email me for part numbers and measurements. Only pain about them is the powdercoating has to be blasted off, after that they're still firestone/titan wheels we're all used to.

Guys,
The hydrostatic transmission holds around 2 gallons. Do you think it would hurt anything to use the differential as the fluid tank or reservoir? I was thinking I could weld a couple of bungs on the rear diff cover. Other than the added heat I would think it would work fine. A check vale maybe needed to prevent the siphon line from starving the pump on startup.

kweaver,
I type my post or message in the window and then i right click to spell check. That way I don't need to copy and paste from another program.
23682.jpg

Charlie because Wyatt even has his money dyed Cub yeller ... he HATES <font color="119911">green</font>!
Charlie remember the pic of the 4 wheels I sent ya way back 12x12's, to bad they're 4 lug !
sad.gif
... may have to "recenter'em"
wink.gif
Dodge and Ford have the same bolt pattern just bigger holes. Now you can put those Mickey Thomson's on yer cub !

Zach black

TB you could add a cooler on your return line. I don't do IE !! Now we ALL know your password
happy.gif

Ok, I followed Torin's instructions, and I got a nice loud click BUT no starter action. I know the starter is functional, and I tested the ground...so something inbetween the pos. terminal of the battery and the positive of the starter is messed up. Right? Thats either wiring or the safety switch? The clutch/brake pedal was down all the way and I (re)checked the plunger on the safety.

Do I just need to rewire? Or am I completely off.

As for Ken, lemme get this straight. I have 2 wires comin off the pos. post of the battery, one to the ignition coil + and the other to the starter? Just making sure so I don't fry myself.

Zach run a ground from the battery to a clean bolt on the engine ... it may not be grounding good. You could also have a bad connection in the lug ends of your starter / battery wiring.
Yes on the 2 jumper wires
No on the muff

Charlie-
I don't like how powdercoat takes abuse, seems like it all too often cracks and flakes off, after that there's nothing stopping rust from getting underneath and flaking the rest off. The first set of wheels I ordered from "them" was damaged in the box (note to the boys in Milan, IL, THROW UNDERHAND!) and the powdercoat was already flaked off. Besides who wants to scuff a wheel and have THAT color yellow show through????

Terry-
The transaxle/differential housing already IS the reservoir. . . . . . . and I'm not going back to that conversation from a couple weeks ago
happy.gif
As for a cooler, very do-able, so far I'm liking the small auto-transmission plate-type coolers versus a small tube & fin cooler.

Wyatt where's details on the plate cooler ? Not seen one. Hey the tube and fin type cools the water on my TIG welder nicely ;) .. email me info

Oh man it's time for sleep and 2.5 hours behind for my BP meds ... I'm history

Terry... as Wyatt said, it already IS a reservoir... and what you're suggesting isn't anything new. I'm tryin' to remember who's already done that... someone has... and not only have others used the transaxle as their hydraulic reservoir, they've mounted hydraulic pumps on the aft end of the hydrostat, on the transaxle cover-plate of a narrow-frame... requires butchering out a bit of the underseat tool-box IIRC, and you need to find a suitable place to mount the valves you'd like to operate, and a good causeway to mount plumbing.

The thing to remember about fluid power systems, is that on fixed-displacement pumping systems, you're ALWAYS moving fluid... that means it's always returning, and in the process of making the trip, it gets warm, and upon return to the tank, it gets a little aereated. Now, the hydrostat unit flows a substantial amount, and if you do the math, and compare recommendations of most fluid-power design recommendations, you'll find that the Cub Cadet transaxle holds very little fluid compared to most design recommendations... typically they'll suggest one gallon of fluid reservoir capacity for every gallon-per-minute of pump flow capacity. This means the turnover-rate for fluid in a CC at full-speed is pretty high... so the fluid doesn't get much time to cool (convection through the axle housing), or diffuse aereation (bubbles) before getting drawn through the mill again. It's sufficient for the Cub Cadet, though, because the hydrostat unit isn't worked nearly as hard as it is in say... older skid-steer loaders where it also appeared. You'll know, though, if you start getting excessive aereation, you'll find that your pump and fluid temperature skyrockets (because you're compressing gasses, which applies to Combined Gas Law where Pressure=(Volume/Temperature).

But to make it simple, what you suggest is totally possible, and has been done. It also works, and if you keep that fluid level up, and don't work BOTH hydraulic systems too hard at the same time, it should work like a champ. If you push 'em hard, you'll find out what limited-reservoir is all about. FWIW, my Loader-Mutt's Johnson Workhorse uses one stanchion-arm as the hydraulic reservoir... it's capacity is 2.5 gallons, and the rest of the system takes a little over 1.5 gallons. The pump flows 6gpm at 1800rpm... and in typical operation, with the belt reduction I used, it turns around 1300rpm. Still movin' fluid kinda fast, but the reservoir (being tall and skinny) does a pretty good job of controlling aereation. we'll see how well it handles heat next summer.

T.B., as mentioned before, there was great discussion on this a few weeks back, check archives....But , for an answer to your qustion, yes, it can be used as your resevior, i just sent charlie a couple photo's of a 682,(that he might post for me) that has compete hydo added to run 3-point hitch, and now a loader also.....my buddy is thinking about putting in a cooler though, as he is worried about overheating in the summer months.

Latest posts

Back