Archive through December 02, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Wyatt!

Well, I've got some friends over at that warehouse... perhaps I can drop a hook in there and fish out a pair.

These are spaced pretty darned deep.

The funny 'spread' is just from camera parallax... it's got a tiny-little-lense, and I was up pretty close, lots of ambient light, so the aperture was pretty tight...

But that's not unusual- Every time that camera takes a picture of me, I look fat, so I stopped taking my picture with it. It gives everything a n assymetric bulge...

(some say it's really 'cause I'm getting pretty fat, but they're liars... I'm simply improving ballast for the loader.)

Keith- what tractor did these @#$%'n wheels come off of???

The 109 is slowly getting back together. I'm installing a hydraulic system on it from a 1450. Can someone tell me which way the beveled corner of the square plate that the valve mounts to should be pointing? I'm sure it's made to clear something but whatever it is isn't clear to me at this time.
uhoh.gif

John

Charlie,
OK, you've peaked my interest. Whats the part number or description. Where do I find it? I am getting another 147 and I might want to put a hydraulic lift on it.

Ok, I was wrong about the whole safety switch thing a few days ago, sorry.

Still doesn't run. I went around and made all the ground contacts nice and shiny, gave the solenoid a few smacks, I did everything else, and I still get that empty click.

I looked back in the archives on how to 'jump' the solenoid, but I don't really catch the terminology. Anyone have a morons guide to checking the solenoid? If I had to guess I would say thats my problem, but I can't be sure.

Any help would be appreciated, even the obvious.

Ok, I was able to take time on my break to do a search of the subject of useing ethonal in a cub's motor, I used the search function at the top of this page, put in the words ethonal and gasohal, search all topics, past 90 days, and only 1 post came up, and that was the one I posted asking the question about ethonal.
So either I did something wrong, for I am not the most computer literate person, Or the subject was not mentioned in the past 90 days.

However I do want to thank those who did answer my question pertaining to the use of ethonal type gas.
If I had a hard copy of the manual or even a copy on disk here at work I could have
rtfm.gif
and I would not have had to ask the question in the first place.
I thought this was a place for the uninformed to come and learn, but I must be mistaken.

Ken -

Let's not forget ethanal vs ethanol
wink.gif

Had either been spelled right, one would have found Dave K2's excellent short post on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 07:44 pm.

No reason to make this FAQ material, it's already in the FM.

I knew he misspelled it too but I was trying to eat and type and watch a good old war movie all at the same time
happy.gif

Since the 2 country stores have closed that were close to me I just get whatever the next one down the road is selling ... 9 miles away ! For anything but my 2 cycle stuff I really don't care if it gets the engines drunk or not. Speaking of which , I have been known to "cook" a little fuel myself that was 200 proof. It runs in mowers but ya gotta fiddle with the carb.

Zach just bypass the solenoid all together by taking a jumper cable from the battery positive to the starter. Be ready for it to turn over ... ie don't have it in gear or the blades turned on. That'll crank it if the starter , ground , battery , battery cables are good but it wont rule out a bad ignition switch or other wiring. It will give you a starting point to start ruling out the problem.

Ken -

As you prolly know, in "da big city" we get the best (worst?) of all worlds - gasohol AND MTBE. Good thing Kohler approves of both...

Old war movie? Did we win again??

Well well well, I did learn something,
Firts I need to learn how to spell correctly, and second I need to learn how to use the computer better.
So now its time to fade away, and waite until I need another lesson.

Did not intent to ruffel any feathers, get anyone goat, rock the boat, ect. Just trying to learn.

Thanks Ken. I already knew the starter was good but it's nice to know the grounding is fine. (New battery, it best be working.)

Is an ingnition switch a likely item to break/fail? Can I use a universal switch or would I need a specific replacement.

A while back I asked how regulators are grounded, and I guess I misunderstood the answer. I checked out the Simple Tractors site, and they clearly show the regulator being grounded, but how do I do this on my 102? The regulator is seperated from the frame with those little rubber spacers.

The circut diagrams (using symbols) don't really help me with this one. As someone (sorry to that person, I don't remember) pointed out, VR's can be different from tractor to tractor, but can you throw in a picture anyway? Please?

Once I get my 102 (needs a name) running I'll need to talk appropriate snowplows, but I'll check the archives first.

John G.
The beveled edge on the metal backing plate for the hydro controls goes to the lower right side as you are looking in from the front.

23672.jpg

I usually knotch the left side too as that is the side that gets close to the hydraulic ram. The reason it is so wide is for the dual controls.

23673.jpg

I don't know if the wide frames are different but on the Quietlines you mount the metal plate 5 1/4 inches from the bottom of the plate to the top of the steering sector box.

23674.jpg

Don't feel bad Lonny, Many have learned from your question.
happy.gif

Excellent pictures and info Richard. The pics also answer other questions I had about routing some stuff. Thank You!

John

Zak- don't worry about the VR right now- it has nothing really to do with start/no-start or crank/no-crank condition.

Lonny- speling iz allwas opshunel. Search engines are great for finding regular spelling errors!

Bryan- If I'd learn how to mis-pel, perhpas id't be ezeer to fine my dizzertashins.

KENtuck- you're not the only one- my grandfather distilled spoiled grain, sileage, and sawdust/bark during ww2, and ran his Waterloo Boy on it exclusively as a way to maintain productivity during war rashioning. The Federales tried to put a hurt on him, but weren't successful, as it was obviously not fit for biologic consumption (predominantly methanol, instead of ethanol). Biggest problems he had, was getting enough engine heat, and a hot enough spark to get it running. IIRC, he put gas in the start-tank, and filled the Kero tank with brew. I was pretty young when he sold off the WB (wish he would'a kep'it). He said he stopped distilling fuel for it about 1960... but still ran it around the farm on gas and diesel through mebbie 1970... he took me for a ride on it when I was Nick's age. He finally parked it alongside the back barn, where it sat for a while, and it finally left on a trailer in around (I think) 1980. It ran many-many-many years on non-petroleum products, and was still thumpin' along well after the arrival of the WD45, the D17, and the newer Allis and D33r3. I think the guy that toted it away was some bootlegger-ZZ-Top-lookin' slag-welder from one'a them hillbilly states... :-}

(Message edited by dkamp on December 03, 2004)

BTW... in my earlier post about LM's wierd wheels... I mis-spelled something...

I should've spelled it as 'Ass-symmetric' bulge...

Damnit guys when are you gonna learn that it's Bryan's job to tellya to RTFM/BTFM's, it always has been and it's part of that high paying job he has as moderator!
I got told the same thing the first time I hit the forum and ya know what, I went out and bought all TFM's, hehehe
If ya let things like that get to ya! Well you know! grin

Charlie, What the heck is a luckeylift???
You trying to say I don't need my jds???
happy.gif

'
Have you tried a luckey lift??>?

Don't worry about the VR? But...but...fine.

May I quietly (ok, directly) ask to direct some attention of the forum users to the other part of my question regarding key/ignition switches?

You can't say I didn't ask nicely. Or bombastically for that matter. And I had to spell that one wrong.

RC do you EVER use them CLEAN CUBS ??

Dave if you run it through the worm 7 times it gets to stout to consume ! Double check me on this next part to Zach , I'm typing fast and thinkin slow !

Zach yes ignition switches do go bad , even new batteries are sometimes bad ... take an alligator clip test lead and run it from the Battery positive to the + side of the coil. Run the heavy jumper as mentioned before to the starter / battery pos , it should be running and purring remove the starter / bat jumper before you burn out the starter
happy.gif
Now if that doesn't do the trick you have a bad ground !

Gotta go eat and get ready for the late shift in the shop ... just when I think I'm caught up here comes more orders ... I slept sometime last month

Latest posts

Back