Archive through August 29, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tillenden

displayname
Todd Illenden
Are all of the QA36A blowers the same? I found a really nice one but the guy selling it is putting a doubt in my head if it will fit my 128. I can not find anything that says anything is different through the years.

It does not have the rod for turning the chute from the u-joint. Is this something that can be fabricated easily? I know I saw something about replacing the u-joint, but can't find it on a search.

Sounds crazy, but this tractor is going to be a lot of fun.

Todd Illenden
I seem to remember some one using a power window winder from a car to move the chute on the snow blower. I have given it some thought for my 450.Just one less thing to need hands for lol.
old.gif

Todd They are the same and yes the rod can be made, I just made one for my qa36. The QA was made for the wide frames which is what a 128 is. Does your 128 have a creeper drive? if not you may find it doesnt work as well due to speed of tractor vs the speed of the the pto.

Todd, I have used my QA42 on both my 126 and 147. You need a creeper on a gear drive to go slow enough. Both tractors have plenty of power for the snow thrower,its a question of how fast the machines can "digest" heavier snow. What size rear tires do you have? My 147 with 10.50 tires is over 36 inches wide.

I'll have to measure. The tractor is all stock. Are rear tire weights a must with the blower?

I do have creeper gear.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL) (Sblunier) on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 12:28 pm:

Tristan,

PD #1 <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Steve, forgot to ask a few days ago. Those pics appear to me to be just birds eye views? Or are they stitched photos? When I said panoramic I meant multiple pictures stitched together with software to make one really big picture with several times the field of view that the camera can normally do. Like how my picture was actually 3 pictures wide. I just got the software for that this year after having taken a bunch of pics to be put together into panos on a hiking trip, and remembered I had a couple of the cub. Its a little extra work doing the processing but just kinda neat and unique I think.

Oh I forgot I was going to attach another image...

Here is the first one I did that day to figure out how the photostitch mode on the camera worked, just in the backyard of the house I mowed before getting the firewood in the other picture. Its a neat place though, way off the beaten path amongst the Amish miles from any paved road. Its one of the families get away houses, 200+ acres. I stay up there for deer season in the fall whenever I can. The picture doesnt do the hills justice either... almost a challenge to mow...

196077.jpg

Two pictures stitched horizontally

Just about finished the drive way . ran short of material. soon I can work on some Cubs.
196085.jpg

196086.jpg

DONALD - You might as well have done the WHOLE YARD! ;-) Then paint it green!

TRISTAN - Steve B's brother ANDY took those panoramic shots of all the CC's @ PD #1. I don't think any special imagery program was used, just a very high and far away spot from the end of the peak of the roof on the barn.

HOW Many forum members in those pic's can you name?

RICHARD T. - A harmonic balancer puller from LISLE or other mfg. works to pull flywheels. If you follow JIM's plans, make the puller from the heaviest piece of bar stock you can find. Sometimes those flywheels stick on the taper really well. I bent a home-made puller made from 1/2" x 2-1/2" bar. My harmonic balancer puller is forged, I haven't bent it....YET.

TODD T. - re: rear weights for mounting a snow blower. IMHO, even with chains, YES, additional weight is required to reduce slippage. If your clearing crushed rock maybe not so much but on concrete or blacktop YES, Lots of weight.

Denny, regarding Steve's (Andy's) panoramic PD1 photos, are you referring to active or past forum members? I can name a bunch of them. I'm even in one of the photos. Hint, I'm not on a tractor.

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

That was just to easy to pick you out of the croud lol,you would be the guy with the camera taking pictures in that one shot.OK what did I win
1a_scratchhead.gif

Dennis F

I`am sory I did not follow you on the GREEN.Only thing green in my yard would be the lawn lol.
old.gif

KRAIG - I'm only on a tractor in ONE of the three pic's, I'm over B-Sing with John Proschel in the other two. Past or current forum regulars doesn't make much difference.
I remember the weather was warm in Roanoak that day, I didn't even wear a jacket so no pockets for the camera to take pictures!
bash.gif
But I drove thru blowing wet nasty snow from around Beloit, WI the rest of the way home!

DONALD - Blacktop painted green would look like grass, but never need mowing.... Give you more time to work on your CC's.

Tristan,

Pics were taken with a Kodak Panoramic point and shoot disposable camera, so they aren't stitched panoramics, they are shot with panoramic lens/film => the extra wide shots.

Todd, The 10.50 tires were an option,my 147 was unrestored when I got it and appears to have always had the bigger tires. You will need extra weight on the rear. The box under the seat on my 126/147 does not contain the battery as later ones do,I fill it with log chains,have one set of factory weights and me (230#) and that is barely enough. You will also most likely need chains on the rear. Many people prefer chains with turf tires rather than chains on ag tread tires. I use original chains on the 126 and shortened automotive chains on the 147. Automotive chains often may not have quite as many cross bars,but work well for me. You can often pick up automotive chains at "farm sales" for a lot less than new price and alter them to fit. Some people make rear weight racks or boxes and/or fill the rear tires with fluid. Depends on your local conditions and terrain.

Todd, all QA36A snowthrowers should be the same. As long as the chute rotator gear is there and intact, it's easy to fab up a chute rotator handle. Here's the link to the Replacement U-joint

Don T. -

If you won't do your yard and paint it green like Dennis suggested then you can at least put a nice, big IH logo in front of the garage door. I think you're going to love removing snow this year with the "new" thrower and now a smooth surface. The snow won't have a chance.

Don't forget pics of the finished product perferably with all the cubs lined up.

A question for you mechanical guys. I need to replace the front bearing and rear bushing in the starter/generator. How the heck do you get the front pulley off. Also, although this tractor is a 149 and should not have a S/G with the bushing it does and I'm wondering how I get the old bushing out.. what type of tool? And....... I've checked the sponsors and did not find an old type oiling thingy with a cap on it. Any Ideas?

196103.jpg

Hello, I am new to this board.
I have an Original. I am not the original owner, since I am 14 yrs old.
It burned a lot of oil until the wiring harness melted. Now I am in the process of having the starter generator rebuilt, then replacing the melted harness, voltage regulator, and battery.

Then, IF it restarts, I need to know how to stop the massive leaks on both ends of the rear axle, seals, bushings??
After I get it running and the leaking axle fixed, I am going to try to rebuild the K161.
I'm not sure if I need to bore and do a valve job, or just dingle berry hone with new rings, seals, and gaskets,...???
Should I use one of the Refresh kits on ebay, or send the block off to a machine shop??

Thanks,
Matt Powers
Monroe, NC
I would REALLY appreciate ALL suggestions / help.

Hi Matthew
Welcome and good to see you have an interest in the Cub Cadets.
You can get a lot of knowledge by reading the FAQ right under the Vendors ( the colored blocks above the forum ) ( link --> https://www.ihcubcadet.com/IHCCFAQ/ and there is another at the top of that page link ---> http://cubfaq.com/questions.html

Make sure you get an exact replacement for the voltage regulator ( there are a few different used on the cubs thru the years ) or you'll have more wiring problems.

Here's a link to a lot of .pdf files of the different cubs and attachments http://www.ccmanuals.info/pdf/

Here's the Original chassis service manual from that link http://www.ccmanuals.info/pdf/O%20Chassis%20Service%20Manual.pdf

Engine service manual http://www.ccmanuals.info/pdf/O%20Engine%20Service%20Manual.pdf

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. You may not get an answer immediately, but you'll get one.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back