• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 27, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Blunieresque"

I like it......
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Bryan Custer-
For starters you're gonna need a wider belt as you mentioned as well as a wider pulley for the blower. The top set of [straight] parallel links will need to be swapped out for curved ones.

Maybe Kraig will post some pictures of a QA42B so you can see these curved links.. <font size="-2">Hint, hint....Kraig</font>

Steve-
At least when someone uses your last name followed by "esque" it's considered a positive thing. Most of the rest of us certainly can't say the same!
happy.gif

(Message edited by aaytay on August 29, 2004)

"Blunieresque"... yeah, and his name suits that suffex quite well, methinks! (isn't that a flavor of Ben 'n Jerry's?)

Yeah, you're right- I was thinkin' 1x9, seein's how I don't have a 1x50 yet :)...

But I did do some pretty aggressive shuttle-shifting yesterday afternoon- that deluge sequence we recieved here while I was gone last week pushed lots of driveway gravel into the street here, and I hooked up the front blade and made a trip up to the far end, pushing gravel back up the aprons at each location.

Had one spot (just by the spot where they installed the new road to the highway) where a whole bunch'a mud and construction debris oozed across the road... Suffice to say that freshly rebuilt 10hp had about 12 running hours on it before I attacked that slime, and I'm sure the rings are seating nicely, but I was being extra-viscious with the speed-ratio control... with slick mud in the turf-treads, it sure didn't have the usual tire-barking 'whammo-skid' response... it just left everything (including me) covered with baby-fistfuls of mud...

Alas, dawn is here, time to go get on another airplane, but at least this one will have me back home by Wednesday morning, and I'll have a few days to get the rest of the loader bracketry done! I'll post pix once I get settled-in at the Marriot...

(Message edited by dkamp on August 30, 2004)

I need help on a pto clutch? I have a 149 that is being refurbished. The engine has been rebuilt and I am tring to figure out how to correctly install the pto clutch assembly to the crank. Are their any tricks to this and does anybody have a schematic for the placement of the pully, bearing and collar? I would really appriciate some help. Its has been over a year since it was diss-assembled.

Joe

Digger, in the photo you posted the curved links are on upside down for how they would be mounted on an 82 series. But they attach easier on a non 82 series Cub when upside down.

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on August 30, 2004)

QA42B???

I've seen the QA36B in the parts book, but QA42B?

FWIW, my QA42A has the curved arms, there was a serial number break in the QA42As where this happened...

Hmmm, Bryan, I never noticed that before. I wonder what made the QA36B cost more than a QA42A?

21203.jpg

From a 1981 price list.

Good morning everyone! Could anyone tell me if the pto clutch from a 682 will fit a 1450? I know they have different engines, but thought maybe the pto clutch might be the same.

How about a H-48 Kraig...got a price on that? Would that be for the 782 tractor or the 982?

Kraig -

I don't remember, but I did spend some quality time in the library poring over the two QA36s in the CPE-2 long ago. Looks like I'll need a refresher this evening
lol.gif

Bryan, you got my curiosity up I may have to have a look at my CPE-2 tonight too. :eek:)

Ryan,

21205.jpg

21206.jpg

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on August 30, 2004)

Maxwell, may I suggest you get a Cub Cadet model 149. Many consider it the best all around Cub Cadet, it came standard with hydraulic lift and is a 14hp. Another model would be a 1450 it also had hydraulic lift and a 14hp but it had the engine mounted on iso mounts and has side panels. <font size="-2">Even if the narrow frame 12hp model 125 looks far better!</font> :eek:)

21208.jpg

Here's a 149.

21209.jpg

Here's a 1450.

21210.jpg

And for good measure here's a 125. :eek:)

I have personally seen a QA42B......late model on a 782 with electric chute rotator (factory option).

I did a double take, but it was a QA-42B......didn't have my camera along though...

Yeah, my grandparents' have a neighbor two doors down that just bought a new Big Box Store mower, and she's got a pretty big Cub sitting behind it with a mowing deck that's never been off, and since we're in NC, very little rust, and possibly a matching cart for it too. Actually I was thinking it was a 149, because of the open sides and I know its a Kohler, I can tell by the way it sounds when it fires up and I know she's used for a long time. Some man comes around once a week to help her out and I think he may have his foot in the door there on that one though. Might have to catch her when he's not around. See if I can do a little bargaining, maybe help her pay part of the Lowe's Special off.

Whew! I'm glad Steve mentioned that QA42B. Thought I was loosing it for awhile there <font size="-2">(Shut up Kraig!)</font> but I thought I remembered him talking about it earlier...

Art, who me? What? I wasn't going to say anything! :eek:)

Well Kraig, It was about a month or so ago you asked me if the 149 ever gets any use (it looked good in the picture I posted but closer inspection would reveal some normal wear). I had an occasion a week ago for some ABNORMAL wear and tear and a lesson learned.

I was mowing the front yard and the Mrs. was waiting for me to make my return path so she could get my attention. She needed something out of the shed and didn’t know where it was. I shut down the mower and turned the tractor off putting the hydro lever in neutral. I was on what I thought was fairly level ground, maybe a slight slope but I have done this before with no issue. We were in the shed only a minute when we heard a whining or buzzing sound. I looked outside and there goes the 149 headed down towards my woods and picking up speed as the incline of the yard increased.

Without thinking too much I took off after it running as fast as I could. I could see that it was headed for a section where there is boulder pile to the left, some large trees to the right and a sudden drop off in the center towards more trees and rocks. None of these choices looked very good and it was going pretty fast. I got to within 10 feet of it when I realized I wasn’t going to catch it, hadn’t thought about what I was going to do if I could’ve caught it, and was running extremely fast down hill on slightly wet grass right towards the rock pile I mentioned. It was 15 feet right in front of me.

I used a trick I picked when I was learning to ski. If you can’t stop, drop. So did and slid on my butt and rolled onto my side and stopped just short of the rocks. The 149 was headed for the drop off when it hit a boulder I didn’t see in some weeds with a big bang!

All was quiet. I looked underneath the tractor and saw that the rock had a wedge shape to it and hit square on the mule drive and lifted the front wheels off the ground. The wood roller on the mower deck stopped the forward travel further. The front of the mule drive was pretty bent up but nothing that couldn’t be straightened.

All in all I was VERY lucky. I was able to lever the tractor off the rock and drive it back to the garage. I disassembled the mule drive and was able to get it square with a sledgehammer. The only thing I hurt was my ego for what must of looked like a Keystone Cops moment (thank goodness for a private lot). No harm, no foul.

One must ALWAYS set the brake when leaving the machine unattended. It doesn’t take much for things to get out of hand. I’m still not sure why the hydro suddenly let go. I always lift the hydro release when I wanted to roll it and in this case I had just shut it down.

Lesson learned the hard way
Brian

(Message edited by bjordan on August 30, 2004)

Brian, sorry to hear about the incident. Good thing no major damage was done. Sounds to me like it was your wife's fault...... :eek:|

Latest posts

Back