• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 27, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art, at least I can
lol.gif

I'm trying to get a 1250 to stay running. Starts easily enough, but shuts down after it gets hot. Restarts immediately, but then shuts down again in about 15 seconds. I've rebuilt the carb, and then even swapped the carb, coil, condenser and plug wire with those from my 108 (which runs fine). Tried fresh gas, new fuel filter, and problem persists.

Coil gets very hot, as does the one I substituted from the 108. On first startup from cold, it runs for several minutes. As it gets hotter, the run time decreases, so it seems temperature related.

When it quits, it's with several loud backfires, so I don't think it's fuel starvation.

Plug appears sooty, but not oily, although this 301 is smoking and leaking. Adjusting carb main mixture 1/4 turn either way has no effect on how long it runs before it chokes down again. I believe carb is adjusted correctly- idles very smoothly, and runs smoothly- until the shutdown occurs.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Where I live I've not been able to find any other cubs & I look every day hoping to find some attatchments or something sooo I came accross an old front axel from a rider mower of unknown make and did my first welds to attatch it to an old tow bar, next it will get a small box I hope to end up with a little dump trailer if it all works out.
PS I got a belt its on and stays on & the grass is now cut
21176.jpg

I am new to the Cub Cadet tractors. I have a 1650. Can someone tell me about the 3 point hitch? What category is it? What attaches to it?

Scott-

Uh... Digger,
I think the FAQ doesn't have 3-point information.
This link doesn't work either:
IH Louisville Works Cub Cadet monthly serial number report by year
Am I missing something?

Hey Tom-

Put a swig of Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel-tank, fire that bugger up, and take it for a wide-open-throttle drive down to the A&W. Let it cool while you slurp a Black Cow, then drive it home same way (like you stole it!).

Usually, when Kohlers get smoky, they build up oil-soot around the exhaust valve stem, which causes it to hang out a bit under warm temps, making it pop, sputter, and darned-near die after a little load. Running it easy will typically keep the valve from stickin', but that tends to make the stick worse. The Marvel Mystery Oil tends to wash the crud off, and taking it on a road-trip winds it up tight and moves the MMO through, rinsing the valve stem down.

Tpeck.i don't think i have ever seen it mentioned on any of the forums.but check or replace you condencer on the coil.when these go bad they sometime create a ground and then no start.yours could be going bad.i have seen them cause coils to overheat

Wyatt,
Tractor's going to look neat. On your fenders, did you "drill and fill" original spot welds where the curved part and vertical panel are joined, or are those additional welds?
Mike J,
You pretty much have it. When I grew up in Virginia, Illinois, population around 1,700, at one time there were four (possibly five) service stations operating. I worked at Reynolds and Sons Phillips 66 on weekends during my first five years in college. Lee Reynolds was one of the best men I ever worked for in my life. I don't live there now, but wish I had known of his death before his memorial service. The town lost an absolute treasure when he died. His widow and two sons run the businesses now, and I believe they have the only service station now operating there.
Ryan,
If you record a show from the History Channel, then play it backwards, does it take you to the future?
Travis,
Did any of your bike buddies ever get a real funny look on their face after the loud "pop" when they over-inflated their own tire?

Boy, this Mike Johnson guy sure is gettin' sassy for bein' a newbie!

Tom P,
Along with Dave and Denny's advice, is the coil wiring correct? Good grounds? Timing? If you switched components (one at a time) from the 108, did you try the 1250 component on the 108 to see if it still ran correctly? Does it seem to run longer/better if you leave the choke pulled a little bit to enrich the mixture?

(Message edited by BMoore on August 29, 2004)

Dave,
Blame Bryan, I have been reading BOFH too much.
OK...OK... You can blame Digger too.

Latest posts

Back