• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 21, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryan,

Thanks I definately should have consulted the Kohler manual before I got started on this. What took me a day to discover on my own is spelled out right there.

Another question, I was reading 15.2v at the battery while running yesterday, thats too high yes? Again I don't have my manual in front of me but I know theres a section on adjusting the regulator. Is it worth adjusting or should I just get another?

Lesse, $50 tractor, $350 engine (best money I spent), $80 for the PTO rebuild kit, bearing and airfilter, $40 new mower blades, $80 new deck body, $20 POR-15 and paint for the deck, $60 tires, $20 misc, is $680, thats really not bad for what I've got. Its ugly but should be a trusty goat for some time to come.

Dennis F.
Living in Phoenix Arizona we don't have a lot of wet snow. I have plugged a combine and a few balers in my youth and found it better to clean them out before slipping the clutch. Not much fun cleaning them out but my dad had a way of encouraging it.

Bryan, I think Travis said it best when he mentioned the 59M, it has a lot of moving mass and starting it up empty would be similar to starting a mower in high grass or a snowblower in snow. You have a 59M, do you disagree? I've only used Art's 59M and I recall that it didn't start up real fast or slow down.

30228.jpg

My AC 620 has 2 electric PTOs one for the front and one for the rear. My 60" rear mower has a lot of moving mass, I cringe every time I start it up, kinda wish it had a "real" mechanical PTO setup on it, gear driven like a full size tractor. (But even then it would have a mechanical clutch to engage it......) Why don't they use electric PTO clutches on full size tractors? (And what do the big hydrostatic driven tractors use for the rear PTO drive for instance an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Hydrostatic 656?) Where's Steve B. when ya need him? :eek:)

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on August 22, 2005)

Attachments

• 30228.jpg
    30228.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 30228.jpg
    30228.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 141
Kraig -

Yes, I have the manual as well.

I've used it on many occasions on the 1450, as well as on the 169. I prefer the 169 not because of the PTO but because of the dual pipes and 2 extra HP
wink.gif

If it was a REAL problem, would <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> have advertized using the 59M on a Quiet Line?

Besides, the jackshaft-to-rotor belt will slip before the PTO will grind itself up on my earlier 59M...

Attachments

• wink.gif
    wink.gif
    880 bytes · Views: 123
Kraig,

Big hydros utilize a "live" shaft to the rear end to operate the PTO just like the gear drive models do.

I'll see if I can scan a cut-away / power-flow diagram for you tonight......

Last summer I went in to a local implement dealer to get a new key switch. I started by telling him the make of the tractor and before I could tell him what part I needed he was telling me that the next shipment of electric PTO's wouldn't be in untill monday. It may have been that there was a bad lot recently, but it sure says somehting when the parts man says something like that.

On the 1450 I plan on parting out. Can I take the engine and use it on a 149? I know the starter, and sheet metal and such are different. But is the crank the same. In another words, can I take the electric clutch off, and bolt a manual clutch on? Can I covert this engine with the 149's sheet metal, starter/generator, and such to work on the 149?

A rare post from home from me........

Steve, thanks, I look forward to seeing that.

As I was heading home from work, as I let the clutch out to pull out of my parking spot it came to me why I don't like electric PTOs, it's like dumping the clutch rather than easing the clutch out. I realize that the electric PTO is designed to handle it but it still just doesn't seem as graceful as a mechanical PTO.

Richard, when I got home there was something in my mail that came from you. THANKS!! :eek:)

Well Bryan M. I don't know about you but these guys have pretty well convinced me, think I will pick up a handful of thrust buttons, a mechanical rebuild kit, dig out my mechanical adjustment gauge, find an old mechanical PTO in my junk pars bin and figure out how to install it on the 782. I'm already thinking about the electric I'll be saving. Building the engagement lever shouldn't be all that hard, but I'm a little worried about cutting the side cover for the Starter Generator mounting.
lol.gif

Attachments

• lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 126
Richard C. -

I can see these guys' vehicles now. They prolly have levers on the dash so that they can EASE the AC clutch into engagement...
lol.gif

Attachments

• lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 128
Geez....I can see this debate rates right up there with HyTran, Motor Oil, and filters...This will have to be just another topic I will have to stay away from...
30231.gif

happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 132
  • 30231.gif
    30231.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 175
My solution:

Have one (or more) of each. Then you can use each one for what attachments it works best with.
happy.gif
groupwave.gif

Attachments

• groupwave.gif
    groupwave.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 148
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 126
Not to get mixed up in this electric vs manual clutch issue, but each clutch has it's place and purpose. I also like the manual clutch for easing the implements into gear. But as good as those manual clutches are, I do not believe they would last long on machines like the 982 or some of these re-powered 782s. There has to be a reason why the later style manual clutches went to 2 springs in them. I think they held up really good for units 12 hp and under, but when the 14 and 16's came out, something had to give. I throttle my 1650 way down before flipping that switch but then the snowthrower has much less rotating mass than say a 59M chipper/shredder.

Guys,
You could put a rheostat on your clutch then spin the dial to engage the clutch gradually. You would probably need ceramic clutch plates as they will wear more.

You could have the best of both worlds!

I'll have to go with the electric pto. I'm sure IH and the others knew what they were doing when they designed them and if properly maintained will last many years. I'm sure the equipment, blowers etc.. was built to withstand a sudden switching on of the pto.

I am waiting for someone to tell me the difference between a starter/generator and a starter. I now know one is a lot bigger than the other, but that's about all I know as far as their differences.

Matt G.
I would like to know what you find with the "frozen" hydro motor(?). I have an OT hydro that acts almost the same way, if I remember right, really don't have time to get into it.

So, a mechanical PTO clutch for the large mass loads and electric for anything else. Sounds good.

Gary L. -

Um, it's as simple as it seems. You keep telling yourself the difference every time you ask.

A starter starts the engine. That's its sole function.

A starter generator starts the engine, then once the engine is running it generates electricity to charge the battery or what not.

Bryan B,

Yes, you can do that.....or if you take the wiring harness too you can just drop in the whole AQS engine, ring gear starter, electric PTO and all.....

.......blowing on the fire just a bit more.......BTW, I'm staying outta this one!!!!

Gary Lee

A starter on a Quietline engine.

30234.jpg

A starter/generaton on an original.

30235.jpg

Attachments

• 30235.jpg
    30235.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 30234.jpg
    30234.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 157