• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 21, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lherrmann

displayname
Lisa Herrmann
Maybe I should ask if that belt IS the correct size. It was the one the guy that orginally fixed the machine said was correct. I'm finding out maybe he didn't know so much. I can't find a reference other than the part number 490489-R2. Don't know what size that is and since the belt I have isn't an IH belt maybe it isn't the correct one to start with. Somebody have an inch size for a PTO to deck belt for a 106?

I hope people engage their PTO's at idle and without the implement under full load. I do and my belts die of old age.

Lisa, my chart shows that belt as being 3/8 X 80". Seing as how you have a 1/2" belt, it will ride farther out on all the pulleys which may add up to more than the 1" longer length.

Jeff W. -

By now I think we would've posted the entire manual for you. Have you given any thought to perhaps purchasing a copy for yourself?
wink.gif

Attachments

• wink.gif
    wink.gif
    880 bytes · Views: 260
LISA - I always attach the deck, latch the spring loaded pins before I roll the belt over the drive pulley. Works best from the discharge side of the deck too, You can reach in and spin the blades.... WITH THE ENGINE OFF of course.
Far as the elec. PTO verses manual PTO I too prefer the manual, and the S/G over the separate starter.
Drove down around Stoughton Sat. AM. THAT was one wicked storm! The most damage was about 1-2 miles north of town. We live about 15 miles away. Was an awesome storm cloud! Wife's changed Her mind about wanting to see a tornado in person

I like the mechanical PTO and S/G for the same reasons that John mentioned, they are simple, <font size="-2">just like me! :eek:)</font> And like Travis said it's nice to be able to ease certain implements on with the mechanical PTO, kinda hard to slip an electric PTO clutch. I'll add that it's less expensive to fix or replace the mechanical PTO.

I think the mechanical PTO and S/G are picking up momentum. :eek:)

Kraig -

Mechanical PTO's certainly have a lot of momentum when ya turn 'em off
lol.gif

<font size="-2">except for the later, safer style</font>

Attachments

• lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 254
Model 108 mower deck information needed. I have a model 108 with mower deck. I purchased used so I do not know if the deck is original. It is an IH deck but the id tag is gone. How do I determing the model/width of the deck? The overall width is 48" outside dimension. I assume it is either 42" or 44". I need to ID the deck to get the proper belt.

Thanks for any help.

David, if the mower deck shape is boxy it's most likely a 42" if it's rounded in shape it's most likely a 44" seeing that you have a 108 that most likely is the 44" deck.

Bryan, yep!

I have a model 71. and wonder what kind of compression number I should see on a good engine. It is starting to smoke constantly while running and I suspect the rings may be failing. But I did add 'MMO' to the fuel and may not have been as accurite with the measuring that I should have been and may have put more oil in than called for. I want to put my compression guage on the engine so I need to know what is normal or acceptable compression numbers for the K161.
ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 234
David, does it look like this?

30213.jpg

The above is a 44" deck.

Attachments

• 30213.jpg
    30213.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 268
  • 30213.jpg
    30213.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 393
Two more advantages of the mechanical PTO:
If it fails, you can still mow. And it doesn't draw current from the electrical system.

Speaking of boxy mower decks, has anyone tried to use a sheet metal brake to duplicate the 48" deck? It sure looks like a stainless deck would be doable!

Chicago area folks - driving out 72 yesterday I saw a boat load of slant fronts by the road side... 1 at an antique store the rest were private homes.

If you like slant fronts it might be a good trip to take
happy.gif

Started at 31 going west all the way to Byron.

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 248
WOOT!
Rebuilt the front PTO for my 72 on Saturday, yesterday the install went as smoothly as anything does for me. Finally having had it apart I understand how the stupid thing works. I think the manual left a bit to be desired in that section.
Also leaving a bit to be desired is the section on setting up the governor. The one on my 72 wasn't doing any governing at all until it occured to me to set for full throttle and then rotate the shaft counterclockwise to the stop... NOW I see how thats supposed to work and it works well although has a tendancy to kill the engine if I throttle up too fast, maybe after I've run the engine some more...

So the last step of swapping the mowing deck from the "holey special" to the solid one I got on eBay will be this weekend.

A question, the rear end on that tractor, HyTran? How much? I've misplaced my manual or I'd check in there. I know there was place with the manual online, can anybody post that for me?

30218.jpg

Attachments

• 30218.jpg
    30218.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 30218.jpg
    30218.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 265
Curt R.-

Here it is. This is for 71, 1x2/3 but it's the same for your 72.
30220.jpg

All-

A couple days ago when I mentioned that I got my 782 going and asked about the hydro trouble, I think I may have narrowed the problem down to the motor part of the hydro. If that is seized, will this cause the tractor to not roll at all, even with operating release valves? This one will not move at all, when you try to roll it one wheel goes backwards while the other tries to go forwards. To me this means something is stuck, presumed to be the hydro's motor. Anyone else agree/disagree or have any opinions on that before I pull the hydro and take it apart?

Attachments

• 30220.jpg
    30220.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 268
  • 30220.jpg
    30220.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 263

Latest posts

Back