• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 16, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joshua, I have a Haban sickle bar mower on mine and use it to keep the weeds down behind my fence.

Joshua, I also have a QA36 snow thrower with a windbreker cab I can put on. I didn't take the Haban off last year because its a big job,but I think I will this year. I need to paint the Haban anyways.

LUCAS - I get OEM Kohler filters & filter wraps at my local Farm & Fleet for $12. I could buy Fram filters cheaper but they don't include the wrap and I think the wrap helps keep the filter cleaner and last longer, so the OEM filters are worth the extra cash.

BILL J. - Another hydro user here who seldom uses the clutch/brake pedal. My only hydro now, the 982 has individual rear brakes, or steering brakes as some call them. When you use the brake on the inside wheel on a sharp turn they do allow the tractor to turn sharper, but if you press too hard on the pedal it locks the wheel and drags the tire.

DAN G. - You could have one or more of several carb issues. A small air leak between the carb & block could be part of the problem. Low float lever in the carb is another possibility, and turning the main fuel needle counter-clockwise to richen the mixture maybe 1/8th of a turn to 1/4 of a turn would help too. You might check the throttle shaft on the top of the carb to see if it's loose. The shaft & bushings wear and let raw air in leaning the mixture out. The sponsors above sell throttle rebuild kits that include new bushings & shaft. Gives new life to these Carter carbs.

Ok guys, thanks for the replies. Here is what is going on, again, for clarity. It starts easily. Normally full choke it'll start after one revolution.

I took the carb off last week to install a carb kit, and I adjusted the float so it doesn't ride as high, so it would shut the fuel off better. Perhaps I adjusted it too much. That's what led me to believe that I may have ruined the gasket in between the carb/engine, in taking the carb off to put the kit on.

Not sure if it's running lean based on that. I can try an adjustment on the needle valve to see if it improves, then look into the other issues.

Thanks.

Joshua, I use a 42" deck and a QA42 snowthrower on my #2 125. I have several 42" decks and one 48" deck. I've never used the 48" deck but I think it would handle it just fine. My yard is rather uneven and the wider deck would scalp it more. I have two 125s. My #1 125 is one that my parents bought new back in 1969. I grew up driving it. It is presently torn apart waiting for me to refurbish it. I also have two 105s. Neither are in running condition at the moment.

Bill, I rarely use the brake pedal to stop my hydro Cubs. I mostly use the control handle.

I have a CC 108 and the problem i have is the nut on the starter/generator keeps backing off when running ruining the key. We had it put on with a impact gun and have a lock washer and locktight on it. All to no avail. Seems odd that it spins in the direction the nut loosens

Got a question for you guys, I've finally got some free time to swap out the old leaking glass bowl filter on my 104. I've replaced the gaskets & seals in it,no matter how much I tightin the bottom nut up it wont stop leaking. I've got everything thing I need to replace it with a inline shutoff & filter. My question is, do you have any tricks or suggestions for taking the fitting off the gastank? I havent removed the tank yet or started to unhook anything. The thought of stripin the threads on it and it not coming off is making me think twice. I'm sure I'm thinkin to hard on this one,I know I tried taking one of a old parts mower and it didnt budge,then again it was a lil rusted up,I do have another tank on the shelf that somone already replaced the fitting with a 90,its welded on though. Any suggestions? I've been putting this off long enough. thanks

Mark R, so you don't feel alone on a Saturday...I think it was mentioned a while back that there were 2 types of S/G's, one may have been used on other equipment and spun opposite of a Cub starter. Maybe someone rewired it to spin like a cub, but backwards to it natural direction. Charlie or others will give you more info later.

What is the best "liquid" to soak a gummed up carburetor in if a parts washer is not available.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Has anyone tried white vinegar? Would the vinegar mess up the aluminum or brass parts?

Great news!! Got a line on a 1450 with a 16hp transplant. The owner had admitted to getting a 'foolish' with starting fluid and blowing it up. He replaced it with a 16 when he put it back together. It already has a rear lift and could come with a snow thrower and chains for a little extra. Not sure if I'm going to do that or not... I really would like to have a cub with the big kohler single in it. My wife and kids could run it at plow days being that it has hydro lift on it. I can't hardly wait to see and hear it on Tuesday, hopefully it's in good shape over all and be a good deal.

mowed the yard today with my 126 that i traded an old muzzle loader for. after a quick sharping of the blades heres what i got.

the 126 used quite a bit of oil but ran with no problems. will have to overhaul the eng it used 2.5quarts of oil to mow the yard but i did get rid of all the mosquitos!!

243318.jpg

243319.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments on stopping your tractor - handle control vs break/neutral pedal.

Joshua Stertz - very nice looking 125. I'd like to have a shreadder like that too! Finding a complete tractor IMHO is very good! I have a 44 inch deck on my 109. I think you would be OK with a 48 on your 125, but when the going get's tough, you can reduce the cut width you take when mowing. I agree you will get a better cut with a smaller width deck.

Ryan McShane - that truely is a FLEET of tractors! Do you have a favorite of the bunch?

Kraig - Are those seats properly adjusted in that plowing pic? Looks like the seats are set to far to the right. Lots of buttox hanging over the left side...
a_blink2.gif

Marty G - I tried vinegar on a gummed-up gas tank one time and couldn't really tell it did much good - but, others have had good luck with it. I'm wondering if you could just soak it in a bucket of kerosene?

Brian K - nice looking cut with your CC. I've got two muzzle loaders I'm going to unload (no pun intended) this fall. I'd take a trade like you got for one of these CC's any day!

old.gif

Marty G.
Carburetor cleaner is the best stuff to soak a carb in to clean it.

Marty G., I'll second Paul's suggestion of using carb cleaner. Here's the brand I use:

243322.jpg

243323.jpg

243324.jpg

Bill,
lol.gif

Marty G., the soak type works great. It will take the paint off if there's any on the carb. It will definitely clean it. I've never used the spray type on a Kohler carb so I can't say how good it is or isn't but I bet it wouldn't do as good of a job as the soaking type.

Melody--That sickle mower must really be cool on the old 125! Old school tractor and old school cutting device!

Kraig--do you have any pics on here of your parents (now yours) 125? If you do could you direct me to them? Do you have any pics of it being used back in the day?

Bill--I've been using hydros since day one and nearly never use the foot pedal. I usually always have one hand within inches of the SR lever.

Guys, I was having a great time cutting today with my 125. It is such a fun little tractor to use. The first 35 minutes or so I couldn't believe that I was using a 45 year old machine. It operated so well and did such a good job. I had changed the HyTran, gasket and filter. I installed a new air cleaner with foam prefilter and put some MMO in the fuel. I put new wheels on the deck, sharpened the blades and greased everything. Needless to say the "little" 42" deck took a little longer than my larger deck on the super but I was having so much fun that it didn't matter. I technically gave this tractor to my oldest son and he asked me if he could cut some lawn with it. Everything was working good and the old K301 was just purring and so I let him cut the open flat area of the lawn. He has been driving Garden tractors for the last couple of summers but today was his first time to cut lawn with one and he did a good job. His lines were a little wavy but that was fine, he'll learn in time and he really seemed to enjoy it.

Here Caleb is cutting. Notice how focused he is! I stayed within range if he needed me but he didn't and I was pleased. I showed him how to turn off and on the PTO and he was already familiar with the SR lever.

Our lawn is finally starting to come back from the drought that we've had here up until a week ago but the 125 handled it with ease. It even was in good shape for cutting level and the lawn was turning out great!

Once Caleb finished his part, we shut everything down and took lunch. After lunch I came out to finish the last little section of lawn and then I was planning to install the tiller and see how that would do on my garden. When I started the tractor, the PTO started with it and obviously the deck with it. I was concerned about this at once. The PTO lever was still locked in the off position but the PTO was running. I released the lever to the on position and back to the off but the PTO wouldn't free. I left it then in the on position and finished the lawn. After getting it back in the garage I inspected it and noticed that the wear button was melted obviously from the short time that I had pulled the lever to the PTO off position. The "fiber" disc in the clutch was missing about half of the teeth. Have you run into this before and what am I likely to find when I take this apart? Can you point me to a post or manual that will explain how to get this PTO taken apart assessed, fixed, and put back together? My son is already buggin me about when he can cut grass again and I'd like to till that garden as well. Any help would be much appreciated.

243340.jpg

What's left of the wear button!
bash.gif

Here's the pics I was trying to get in the last post!!

243345.jpg

243346.jpg

243347.jpg

243351.jpg

So I was mowing today and suddenly my tractor got really loud. I have a 1250 QL. The exhaust nipple that threads into the block was wobbling for a long time apparently because the threads are all boogered up and i'm worried that it's not going to stay in there if i try to put it back together. What can I do? I was thinking of just running a stack on it, can I use the threaded holes on either side of the exhaust port on the block to mount an exhaust? Any advice?

Back