• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cadet 85 Part List

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nolan Slagle

I've recently acquired and been repairing a Cadet 85, and have reached a bit of an unfortunate impasse on part information.
I've realized in the service manual, there should be a deck idler spring. However, the Cub Cadet website doesn't show it, and I haven't a clue on what size of spring I would need. Additionally, all parts manuals I have seen have been for the 85 special, which doesn't have this spring. The service manual has been the only one I have found that makes reference to it, but it doesn't have a part # attached.

If anyone has some info, part number, or even a place to get a part manual for the 85 and not the 85 special, I would greatly appreciate it.

I've recently acquired and been repairing a Cadet 85, and have reached a bit of an unfortunate impasse on part information.
I've realized in the service manual, there should be a deck idler spring. However, the Cub Cadet website doesn't show it, and I haven't a clue on what size of spring I would need. Additionally, all parts manuals I have seen have been for the 85 special, which doesn't have this spring. The service manual has been the only one I have found that makes reference to it, but it doesn't have a part # attached.

If anyone has some info, part number, or even a place to get a part manual for the 85 and not the 85 special, I would greatly appreciate it.

1687189855202.png

https://www.ccspecialties.org/implementparts_2.html
1687189895576.png

Apologies, but you misunderstand.

I have the torsion spring, but there is supposedly an idler tension spring that attached to that pulley as well. Or at least that's what the service manual seems to think.

I have attached a picture from the service manual, and its the "tension spring" that I am having issues with.
cadet spring.PNG

Apologies, but you misunderstand.

I have the torsion spring, but there is supposedly an idler tension spring that attached to that pulley as well. Or at least that's what the service manual seems to think.

I have attached a picture from the service manual, and its the "tension spring" that I am having issues with.
View attachment 154390
You might have the wrong deck on it, LOL
1687211889009.png

1687211971473.png

Huh, that would explain the difficulty then. What gave me pause was the fact that there was a hole for presumably the spring. Hopefully Its the right deck, so I can finish this project. I am down to changing a few belts, possibly new tires, and sharpening the blades.

Any chance you can tell from an image if this is the deck for an 85?

Attachments

• Cadet Deck.jpg
    Cadet Deck.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 0
According to my TC-120 Parts Catalog, that is the correct deck for a Cadet 85. The spring assy that keeps the Blade Drive Belt 106 990 C1 taunt, is a torsional spring, 548 485 R1, located under the idler arm assy. From your pic of the deck, the idler pulley is against the wrong side of the belt. It needs to be against the front side of the belt, not where it is now. Your spring may be OK, but no tension as it needs to be relocated clockwise about 90 degrees to rub against the front face of the belt. See attached pic from the parts manual.
85 Deck.jpg

According to my TC-120 Parts Catalog, that is the correct deck for a Cadet 85. The spring assy that keeps the Blade Drive Belt 106 990 C1 taunt, is a torsional spring, 548 485 R1, located under the idler arm assy. From your pic of the deck, the idler pulley is against the wrong side of the belt. It needs to be against the front side of the belt, not where it is now. Your spring may be OK, but no tension as it needs to be relocated clockwise about 90 degrees to rub against the front face of the belt. See attached pic from the parts manual.
BTW - the pic of the deck of your service manual you had posted shows a deck that is NOT either that of an 85 or an 85 Special. Looks like the deck of a 60 or 75, which is a different animal. The 60 deck has a center drive pully (three pulleys total. Your deck as two pulleys. Whole different animal.

Latest posts

Back