• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 16, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfuller

displayname
Rob Fuller
Ah! I've been bit by the bug.
243232.jpg

243233.jpg

Wyatt Compton

A large than stock air filter on any engine would help a lot in the amount of use one would get in a real dirty environment before a replacement filter was needed . The filter I installed in my Cummins powered diesel truck has now twice + the filter surface that it did as a stock unit. Clean air is most important .
old.gif

Look what followed me home last weekend! I think it is Kraig that really likes 125's. This one is a very nice original example. These pics aren't great but I'll post some more later. This tractor is so complete that I can't believe it. Most all the fasteners are the original IH stamp. The S/G belt is still IH brand, everything is there that I can tell except the cigarette lighter.

243239.jpg

The seat cover is there although it does have several large cracks in it. This tractor was always stored inside and it shows every where. The condition of the paint, fasteners, and hidden areas bear this out.

243240.jpg

It came with a couple of the usual attachments but the one that I'm excited about is this 59M shredder which is in nearly new shape! I don't think it could've been used more than a few times. If you guys would like it, I can post more detailed photos of either.

243241.jpg

I'm really excited about this tractor. It is my first narrow frame hydro. It was listed on CL as a tractor with a broken hydro. However, with as tough as the 15U is, I was skeptical about that. Sure enough, the shear pin at the front of the drive shaft was broken off. Once I installed a new one, it jumped back to life!

243242.jpg

I drained the hydro and replaced the filter. I'm fairly sure that it has either never been done or not in a very long time. The filter was on old IH branded yellow one. Any pointers you guys can give me on this machine, I'd gladly appreciate it. Once I put new gear oil in the tiller gearbox and change the engine oil, I want to try it with the tiller. I also have a 42 inch mower with it that I hope to run through the paces on Saturday.

Every time I look at this tractor I think the phrase, "Small but tough"!

Slant%20Tongue.gif

I needed a new picture for my apartment this year at ISU, do you think these will work?

243246.jpg

243247.jpg

Dale R-my uncle is a fabricator by trade and helped me built this bracket for my 1772. It will hold two of the 100 lb suit case weights from the front of the big IH tractors. It is more than enough weight combined with my chains to give me the traction I need for snow removal!

243251.jpg

Note that we also put a receiver tube on it for using a 2" receiver hitch, this way we can use it for pulling trailers, etc without removing the bracket. I can take more detailed photos of it and email them to you if you are interested.

Here it is with the weights on it and moving some wet snow!!!

243252.jpg

Needless to say, I'm happy with the result! Not as good as a Cat 0 but it works for what I need it for at this time. Hope this helps to get your creative juices flowing!

ROB F. - I don;t think my 3-pt on my 982 has that second set of holes on the rockshaft. If I had to guess, I'd say somebody added them to increase the 3-pt's lifting capacity. Think I read in my manuals than the 3-pt has 400# lift capacity twelve inches behind the ends of the lift arms. Using that set of holes closer to the rockshaft you'd be able to lift more like 500#.

Not sure of the reason for the hole in the center frame cover, mine doesn't have a hole there.

DON - Your Cummins likes the bigger intake air filter I bet, lowering intake restriction can be measured with your boost gauge on a turbo-diesel. On a Kohler you do have to readjust the carb, but since the man fuel needle is adjustable no jetting change is required until you really start making major changes. There are some really small fuel flow passages in the little Carter carbs, the main fuel inlet of the float valve is one, the fuel inlets in the fuel tube running through the center of the carb the main fuel needle runs through is another. But for a stock working tractor they shouldn't need much change to work fine.

One thing IH should have offered on CC's was a high capacity heavy duty air cleaner. I know when I run my lawn vac in the fall chopping up leaves the whole tractor is engulfed in a huge cloud of dust. I run the green foam filter sleeve and with the stock filter cover the air all has to go into the filter through the edge of the pre-filter.

Couple other coards I frequent have had discussions the last week or so about oil bath air cleaners vs dry pleated paper filters. I'll take a dry pleated paper filter over an oil bath every time. That being said, I will not run a K&N filter. Every one I've ever used let dirt into the engine. The cotton gauze settles and moves and opens up holes that let unfltered air in. And it shows as higher silicon content in the engine oil when you do oil analysis. I have the results to prove it!

Big Steve has had a large (782) air cleaner on his old 100 ever since the first blown-up Series I 17hp showed up at the shop in the 80's.......as Wyatt says, it makes them much less prone to issues of neglect and helps with the "grass cloud" the sprays out from under early CI ended decks.

Middle Steve,
Does Big Steve have the KT in the 100 or just the air cleaner assmby.?

Steve, is this Big Steve's 100? And is that Andy on it ahead of Chris?

243254.jpg

243255.jpg

Hey Josh

I'm envious of your 125; I grew up on one. It's great to get a deal on one and have it be a simple fix to your problem.

Awesome!

Joshua, What a great find with the shredder and all. I love my 125. Those 125's are beefy

Here is the Grandson's 123. We took out the steering column to have a look see as it's a little sloppy.
Should the tube from the steering box up and through the pedestal spin around 360 deg? We couldn't see anything to stop it from spinning.

Somebody has replaced the transmission suction tube. I know the original tube comes up from the bottom of the transmission over the filtter then back down under the filter.
Is the original suction tube made that way to help cooling? Should we put this back original?

Lastly we discoverd after splitting the tractor that the cause of all the drive line damage must have been the failure of the rear flexable coupler. Looks like the driveshaft fell spinning onto the hydro filter and ripped it open. Maybe that's what bent the driveshaft,destroyed the fan, and flywheel cup?
Sure hope the transmission is ok.

243265.jpg

243266.jpg

243267.jpg

James, the suction tube is fine like that. The later hydros used that style.

Joshua, nice find with the 125! Looks to be in great shape.
greenthumb.gif

I have a bit of an issue with my 14 HP K321A in my 147. When it is running and I go to throttle up, it hesitates a bit. IE it doesn't seem like it has adequate throttle response. If I bump the throttle directly on top of the carb, it'll sputter a bit then run great. When it is running at mowing speed it runs great, no hiccups. I've also seen this problem when I immediately start it and try to drive it. It seems like it needs to "warm up" before it'll run good.

Could it be a poor gasket between the carb and the motor? I want to say it is getting too much air as sometimes choking it quickly helps the issue.

Yes it does have enough gas in the tank.

Thanks

Daniel Glinski

You could be running a little lean and that would cause that. Does it spin awhile before it will start?? That is a lean condition also. I would give the cab adjust screw an 1/8 turn and see if that helps.
smile.gif

Quick question - When driving your hydro, do you bring your tractor to a stop/neutral ALWAYS with the hydro lever or do you use the brake to kick the lever to neutral and stop the tractor?

Thanks ALL for the compliments on the 125. What are you running for mower deck sizes on yours? This one has a 42 with it but I was thinking about putting a 48 on it. I already have a larger deck on my Cub-Kub (54") but just wondering what you guys are using and how you like it. I'm hoping to cut my grass tomorrow with it. I can't wait to get some seat time on this thing!!! We finally got a couple of inches of rain here in east central WI and my grass is actually green again. There was six weeks that I didn't need to mow it at all because it was dormant.

My business partner also has a 125 and was cutting with it tonight when he said something let loose in the steering and "sidelined" him. He isn't mechanically inclined and so I will try to help him with it. Not sure what is wrong but I'll take a look at that tomorrow too.

Ryan--that is quite a line up of Cubs! Can't get too much of a good thing can you?

Daniel--Are there any pictures floating around of your driving your dad's 125 or 782 for that matter that you could scan and post? I'd love to see them if there are. If you look in off topic tractors under the "Horse Corral" thread you will see pics of the tractor that I grew up using. I'm so glad my dad kept some years ago when he replaced it with a box store "throw away" lawn mower.

Melody--What kind of work (or shall I say attachments) do you use your 125 for?

Bill-

I never use the pedal when mowing with a hydro but that's just me. Some people have to have a pedal and use it way too much (imo). I'm always concerned about the driveshaft pin (129) so I try and stop easy and start the same way.

Bill Jamison. I Don't use the brake -clutch on my tractor except when starting the engine.When leaving the tractor running without being on it i lock the brake down.

Latest posts

Back