Archive through August 14, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith, If Tom is going to Branson on a weekend all he is going to do is sit in traffic! A cub will go faster on 76 highway than he is going to doun that strip. Have fun Tom and good luck with the traffic. If you get bored maybey we can rescue ya!

Hey, I'm here!!

Anyone going to the Northern Illinois Steam Power Club (Sycamore Show) this weekend?? I'm going to a wedding Friday night, but the tractors loaded and ready to go Saturday am!

Evening all! Before the rain moved in I was trying to get my brother in-laws 1810 running. The more I poked around on it, the more it looked like my 682. My 682 has the Mag-18 conversion. Were there any other diffs between these tractors other than engines, paint and manufacturer?

Todd, basicly the same tractor, and many red 682's were made by CCC as well. Both a good tractor! Cheers Mike

Dustin, the colors on my 129 that you posted are not correct. That is a rattle can paint job using the colors from Tractor supply. Its valspar. That tractor is a worker so I'm happy with the colors but my next project WILL get the correct paint.

Good morning guys. Maybe while you're having your coffee you can field this question. My steering on my 129 needs to be repaired. I have read before about making a cam follower from a bolt by grinding it down. Searched the vault but couldn't find. Would someone repost or give me a link? I have had it off before and rebuilt it, should have addressed it then. When will I ever learn.

Craig, thanks for the advice on blades last week. I just replaced two sets, 129 and 149. Just wanted to share some info on the matter. On one of the sets two of the blades touched, not much, but I did have to grind off just a tad.

Steve Y.
Here's the link to Brian Miller's site. I just read this section yesterday.
http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/steering.htm

Tom Hoffman,
The traffic in Branson won't be so bad in October, just get a map when you get there and plot out your routes around Hwy 76 if you can. They have several side and back routes now for getting around the major traffic tie-ups. Are there any shows you're wanting to see? I haven't been to the RFDTV theatre yet, but they have some tractors on display there. You might check that out.

MATTHEW STETAR - You didn't say which gear the teeth are missing on but I don't think it makes much difference....both gears are part of a larger machined part, the drive gear is machined onto the crankshaft and the driven gear is cast as one piece with the rest of the camshaft with the lobes machined & ground onto it. Both parts should be avail. used at reasonable prices from the suppliers above or post a classified ad for whichever part has the missing teeth.
BOB Neubauer - Largest lawn roller I've ever seen which BTW was also pulled with a CC was made from a section of an underground gas station gas tank if I remember right.....it was about 4 ft wide and about 6 feet in diameter. According to the post on the RPM forum it was tough to get rolling and harder to stop but once moving did a GREAT job! They actually made it to pull with a small farm tractor but that proved to be too big and unwieldly in their yard. They also didn't fill it completely up with water either.

Dennis,
Is that the roller the guy uses mainly to crush gravel in his driveway? I think he pulls it with a 982.

KEITH - I can't think of the Guy's name right now, I'd have to check the RPM forum. I know He said He used it on His lawn a year ago. I thought He used a 1450 Q/L or something similar to pull it.
To be quite honest....with about two more sets of rear wheel weights I think My #72 with the K321 in it would outpull My 982. The 72 is giving up about 100-125# to the 982 and with equal weight I don't think the SGT's really pull any better....but they do ride better with the wider tires and long wheelbase.

I pulled home a 782 hulk and have a few questions i hope someone can answer. This is going to be a custom project.

Will the Hydro trans still work without the lift cylinder ?? If so , could i just plug the lines at the hydro or would i have to run a loop from one side to the other ??

I want to put a K - Series engine in this and know the 1282 uses a different mount to do so , but i was looking at the frame and noticed it has the same holes/dimples like a QL tractor and the mounts fit perfect. So , has anyone tried to use the QL mounts on an 82 series tractor to mount a K-Series ??

Thanks ,

Darrell

I traded some parts a while ago for one of those funny lookin crooked grill Cubs
fence.gif
lol.gif
and finally got around to pick it up today. This hoist I bought 2 years ago is the best $100 I've ever spent. Kept forgetting to get action pics until today.

89850.jpg

89851.jpg

I had this pretty nice unmolested 1650 Cub sitting in my garage for years and I decided to put some parts on it and get it running.

89853.jpg

I started cleaning and checking and fixing and this has probably happened to others, but the next thing I know I have this:

89854.jpg

I was rebuilding the steering sector and since there has been some talk about them lately I thought I would add some comments.

Ever notice the shinny part on the side plate when you pull them apart?

89855.jpg

It should be shinny over the entire area the metal seal rides on. It never is, the dark area isn't touching and that is where all of the grease comes out.

The reason it is like that is when they weld the bolt on the side plate it warps. Every one I have taken apart is like that. Put a straight edge on it and you will see.

89856.jpg

Or a square.

89857.jpg

I always straighten them in my press before I rebuild them, makes them align better and hold the grease better.

Another check I do is check the steering shaft for small nicks on the edge where the cam rides. If you feel some sharp edges use some emery cloth and make it smooth. Sure saves on the cam.

89858.jpg

I have a creeper gear that isn't working. I took it off and the lever that shifts it has become disconnected. Problem is I don't know how it is supposed to link to the sliding gear.
The shaft turns but not the fork that moves the gear. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
David

I didn't really know where to put this so mods please move if this is the wrong place. Anyway, there is a local shop here that has some sort of jig that they pull lawnmower blades through to sharpen them. I sharpen my own with a grinder but it's kinda tough to get a good edge without getting too much. Anyone know where one of these jigs can be bought?

Latest posts

Back