• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 13, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reggie, do you mean K341 and K341a? Never heard of a K431...

298493.jpg

Attachments

• 298493.jpg
    298493.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 129
I have a Kohler K431a in my Cub 169. Didn't the Cub 1650 come with a Kohler k431 engine? or I'm I mistaken?

Reggie, both the 169 and the 1650 have a K341 not a K431. You have the 3 and the 4 backwards.
happy.gif

298497.jpg

298498.jpg

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 116
  • 298497.jpg
    298497.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 298498.jpg
    298498.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 132
Okay my dyslexia has got the better of me. I walked back out to the shop to double check and sure enough I transposed the numbers. Yes Kraig, it should read 341 and 341a. Sorry about the confusion.

Vincent: Yes.
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 105
Vince,

The "thick" wheels are from 82 series with the triangle center cap, and they are a perfect upgrade for any wide frame.......all of my machines have or had one installed! !!!#

David,

I live near Rollag, MN and attend the steam show every year. There is so much there that it really cannot be seen in one day. Most of the exhibits are working and there are very few pieces that are just to look at. Each year there is a theme for the show, so its emphasis changes. There is no swap meet, there is excellent food available at reasonable prices, there are ample shuttle wagons to get you around the grounds, and the admission price is very affordable, especially if you buy a season pass. If ypou have an interest in that sort of thing, I highly recmmend it.

Very busy night here at work, we are being invaded by crickets. No joke crickets at every entrance even have them on a 3rd floor roof, very strange.

Vince, also the later Quietlines had the thicker steering wheel. Both my 1450 and 1650 which is a Dec 77 and May 78 tractors have the thick wheel. You want the one with the plastic center cap, and all 3 spokes of the wheel are the same size. The wheel with the tin insert in the big spoke is the thinner wheel.

We have both styles in our fleet, and there is a much different feel between the 2 wheels.....

I have a question that I don't believe has as simple of an answer as it may seem.

What is the difference in the steering system between the 1650 and 782 vs the 149, 1250 and 1450.

I have looked at the parts lookup, and I do see there are different part numbers for the Ross steering assembly between the wideframes and very early quietlines, vs the rest of the quietlines and 82 series. I don't think this is where the difference lies.....

The reason I am asking is, on our 149's and 1450, the steering is fairly easy. My definition of easy is all our Cubs have a good quality spinner knob installed. With the 149's and 1450, you can fairly easily steer the tractor with just 1 hand on the knob, lock to lock. On the 1650's and 782, it takes both hands to steer the tractor, and if your not moving, it takes quite a bit of effort to turn the wheels. All of these tractors have been serviced, all steering components greased with quality grease, and all have had the front axle pin replaced with a bolt and nut (like the 82 series came from the factory) to remove the slop from the front axle. They all have good tie rod ends, wide front tires and properly inflated tires.

The quick answer I always thought was the larger engine is heavier and causes the steering difficulty. Well we now have a new wrinkle in that theory. A few weeks ago, I picked up a "1650" as I was told it was, for Dad. Once I was looking at the tractor, I found the machine code on the serial number plate translated to a 1250 tractor. So this tractor I picked up, does indeed have a 16hp "1650" engine, dash tower and hydraulic lift, but came from Louisville as a 1250. This "new 1650" steers just as easily as the 149's and 1450...... so that leads me to believe the engine weight is not a factor like I once thought.....

Was there something slightly different in the 1650 chassis that could make steering effort more difficult?

Back