Archive through August 07, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
Doug,

Have you checked the cap on your gas tank? If it is not vented well, it could build up pressure and push the fuel past the needle & seat.
dunno.gif

The guys are right about the needle & seat.
If there is any gas coming out of anywhere above the bowl, the needle & seat are not working correctly.

Attachments

• dunno.gif
    dunno.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 138
I have
1a_scratchhead.gif
so much, I had to go and take the carb off of the 122 I am working on to see if I could see anything that could be a problem.

This cub had been sitting in a barn for who knows how long.
When I took the carb off and removed the bowl, it smelled horrible from the old evaporated gas.

I used disposable gloves to keep from getting anything on my hands, but that stink went right through the gloves! Guess I will have to wear it off.

There is also a good amount of black firm goo on everything. What a mess!!!
Guess I will have to soak that thing for a while.

Attachments

• 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 153
Doug A - thinking thru your carb issue in simple terms, the needle and seat are what allow gas to fill the carb bowl. As others are indicating it's an almost certainty that something is not correct with your needle and seat installation.

The seat is supposed to have a gasket installed over the threads before you screw it into the base of the carb. Did you make sure the old gasket was removed before you installed the new seat?

Also, the seat itself is installed in quite a confined area. Are you certain you got the seat fully installed and snugged in place? Sometimes it feels as tho it's screwed in tight but your socket or installation tool is actually binding and slipping around the top because it doesn't quite fit up into the area of the seat. I suggest you remove the seat and make sure your tool slides fully into the area where the seat is installed. Very few standard size sockets will fit this area.

I believe you said you tried 3 different floats, one of which was new. It's nearly impossible these could all be bad. If it's not the needle and seat then something is not allowing the float to lift and close the needle in the seat. Is it possible you're not installing the bowl gasket correctly? Especially the one with the half moon cut-out area? Hopefully you have a manual and/or install instructions showing correct positioning.

Jason W - hey, I like your idea of proceeding with the 4-way flasher set up. Just one more suggestion. When you get your new Ags I'd recommend changing the air in your front tires. It's probably been in there about 40 years and is due for a change. If you don't believe me just let a little out and have a wiff. After you change it to all fresh air I think you'll have covered just about everything for awhile.
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 142
I have thought this through a dozen times. I have rebuilt these things before. I even looked back at Matt's write up. Her is a pic of the sealing area and the old gasket is gone. The other is where the float is set now and it still leaks. Gas cap is new and the vent works. Tried it with the cap on and off.
307716.jpg

307717.jpg

I can carefully tip the carb upside down and cannot blow through the inlet. The needle seals it up.

Attachments

• 307717.jpg
    307717.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 307716.jpg
    307716.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 307716.jpg
    307716.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 307717.jpg
    307717.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 181
Doug-

This may sound a little "out there" but have you thoroughly inspected the bowl? I've had them with tiny holes but they're usually around the bottom. It sounds like your leak may be coming from further up but it's worth a glance.

Maybe not even a pennies worth...

Doug - well I guess we're all going nuts with your leaky carb rebuild. Now I wonder if you used the correct rebuilt kit. Did you use KH-25-757-01 or KH-25-757-02? The screw-in base of the seat on one is slightly different than the other. It appears either kit may work on a #26 carb for a K301 but I believe the KH-25-757-01 is more correct.

About the only thing I can think of now is trying another rebuild kit. Maybe the kit you got had a bad seat or needle. I suppose anything is possible. I know it seems to work when you blow air thru it in the upside down position, but it sure seems the float is not lifting into position to close the needle in the seat once you do install it.

Charlie mentioned before there may be a crack in your housing. It's coming close to that being really the only other possibility.

Doug - one more thing to check. In the link that Bernie sent No. 7 mentions the following:

"Check the clearance between the float and the hinge towers (#7, blue arrow). If there is less than 0.010" clearance, file down the tower."

I've never seen this before but maybe your carb casting is slightly different and the float is contacting the tower area (where the hinge pin is located) so the needle doesn't fully seat. It may only be doing this when the carb is right side up - and not when you turn it upside down.

Harry- The Kohler kit is an 01. Actually it's the second kit. I first bought a Stens kit because i could get t locally. Their seat and needle are real tall requiring bending the float tab quite far. It leaked so I bought a Kohler kit. Of course it leaked also.

I finally got my 129 running like it should. It took me a long time and part of it was my fault but it is now sounding great. I have to thank Charlie for his knowledge and parts. He is the man. My last item had me stumped. I narrowed down to a leaking valve or head gasket, so I pulled the head to check the ACR. That was OK, head gasket was OK but maybe something starting. My problem was that when I put in the valves, the exhaust valve was not adjusted correctly. I don't think it was closing. I fixed that and now I have the power back and it sounds great. Amen to that project.
Earl

Doug - well 2 kits down and it's till leaking. I'm still wondering if something on the float is causing a binding, or something on the casting is binding the float when it's right side up, but not doing it when it's upside down. Hope you can have a look at the No. 7 in the link below.

I can understand doug's frustration with the leaky carb. on his 122. I have the same problem with a #30 carburetor on my 1650. I left the gas turned off to the engine for a few months last winter and when I turned the gas back on it poured out of the carburetor. I soaked and put a new Kohler carb. kit and gas still poured out of the carb. the same as Doug said his is doing. I tore it apart and checked everything. I finally gave up on it and put a spare carburetor on it. I hope someone on here figures the problem out so I can repair mine. I ran out of things to try.

Harry-That step is also in the Kohler manual. I'm going to check into that tomorrow. That may be a step to compensate for wear in the holes where the float pin goes.
Wayne- It's coming out where the main needle comes down through the throat of the carb. I can hear it displacing air as the bowl fills.

Hydro -

Quote/ " If you don't believe me just let a little out and have a wiff."

LoL, well after I broke the bead seal on those 1250 7" rims I would not doubt you one single bit!!! One of those had some juice in there that I can only describe as the stuff you smell running out of the back of garbage truck when it goes up a steep hill.

Nitrogen/Argon or Glycol "inflation"
thumbsup.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 136
Doug - hey the bells are ringing now. Some of the floats have 2 tabs to adjust and I'm pretty certain they are both shown in the Kohler manual. Maybe when you put the Stens kit in you bent the other lift tab. If the float drops to far into the bowl I believe it can bind and won't float back up.

Thurman - No. 1 Production 169 Owner - it's got to be something with the float adjustment or the needle isn't seating properly, or the float is binding and not lifting properly. All I can suggest is to make sure the float is free to move in both the upside down position and right side up. When you hold it right side up it shouldn't fall down to far either. I believe this is usually overlooked since most of the time it's not an issue.

Jason - you can order some fresh air from Charlie. He's got alot of it up there with no bugs in it. He makes sure they're all froze up and cleaned out before he ships a box full of air to ya.
1AA_dance2.gif

Attachments

• 1AA_dance2.gif
    1AA_dance2.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 164
Harry: I agree it has to be in the needle valve or the float and that is what I thought after I put it back together and it leaked. I haven't done anything on it for a couple weeks since I wanted to take a BFH to it. I will get it out and check it out again.

Wyatt -

Sounds like you can actually hear the flasher click's in the video,
thumbsup.gif

I see all red tractor's in your vid, Even the "Wheatland" tucked away back in the corner!

307723.jpg
greenthumb.gif

ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 133
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 307723.jpg
    307723.jpg