• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 26, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Todd, to be in neutral the bottom fork should move to the left so that it lines up with the top fork.

55888.jpg

55889.jpg

Todd W: I'll repeat: the bottom one in the photo is in gear!! I'd say its in 3d gear if the front is to the left in the photo. To get that one out of gear, it must slide forward to its neutral point near the center line of the opening, then check that upper one (which may also be in gear) to make sure its also out of gear...Sometimes if the shifter is broken, the slide will look like its in the right place but the gear itself is still engaged... both sets of gears must out of gear (neutral) for the tractor to roll.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

I believe it should look about like this, note the locations of both the forks AND the gears.

55891.jpg

Kraig 's picture is what you need to see. Not in the center of the opening that is why there is a possibility it may be engagning two sets of gears at the same time. Looking at the distances between the fork mount on the rail and the case compared to Kraig's picture looks like both forks are out of netural position.

You may want to use a brass drift and tap on the gears themselves instead of the forks. Don't get to carried away. After rereading your posts, I definitely believe it is in two gears. The top left most gear set needs to go to the left and the top fork needs to go the right. May have to use the crow bar on the gears further down in the case. Start with the top gear and if it moves to neutral, the lower gear should move easire. They are working against each other. Would definitely check for chips. Good possibility that the gears shed a few chips as they locked together.

You guys take care of him. There's a tornado 2 counties south west of me in TN headed this way so I'm outta here. Don't trust my little shack and the big oak next to it.
bubbly.gif

Thanks a lot Ken...Oh yeah please duck...

Ok, Todd, if you can't see the difference in the location of the shifters now...., well, I just don't know what else to tell you...

Myron B

Todd. Instead of dragging that little Cub back to the woods why don't you just offer to give it to one of the good people here? I'm sure that someone would be glad to pick it up.
biggrin.gif

Looking at the bottom photo I would say it is stuck inbetween reverse and second gears.
Again looking at the bottom photo, the bottom slider would be 2nd & 3rd gears, & the top slider would reverse and 1st gear. Left to right.

It is my guess that trying to move the bottom shift lever in the direction indecated by the red arrow will only increase the problem.
I would try and slide the top shift to the left.
But than I aint there to get a real good look at the gears and how they are meshed together.

Paul Bell, great work on the numbers, any clues on what came to OZ?

Charlie - That thing will take an acre to turn around in , like that OT dump truck I built.

Graeme - Your Cub ended up down there when Dorthy and Totto drove it to see the Wizard. It got impounded for no parking permit ;)

Todd - Did ya get it yet ??

Myron - Fer what ?

David - I ended up working on my Toy 4x4. Seems I was able to find SAE brake line fittings in my <strike>junk</strike> inventory that NAPA didn't have
happy.gif

Yeah Ken, bout the only place I shop anymore is NAPA. There the only ones left around here that are still locally owned... But they never seem to have what I need, or take a while to find it.

Why SAE for the toy, I'd think that'll need 8~10mm fittings.

Ah, the ol' "convert rear drum to disk" pain in the back. Or bad valve, cheap repair. been there, done that.

Well ol pops got his 1650 home last night it is snuggled right up next to the 1000. Good looking tractor, orginal owner had painted it once can live with that for awhile. Deck is good sharpen blades, new belt and it will be good to go.

Pops wish list: Tune up, tri-ribs front tires, 23X12X12 Firestone tractor tires, locate a rear lift kit then restore this winter.

Oh there is a 4th one coming but we will talk about that later.

Pops

BEN - The 12.00 X 12 'Stones are 26" in dia. Widest they make a 23" dia. tire is the 23-8.50 X 12. The 26" tires are a snug fit on a non- Super Garden tractor, Have to watch where You put Your fingers on the fenders when running... All the SGT's have the fender pans lifted about an inch or so.

Dennis: You are right ol dad was dreaming there for a second. The rims are the same that is on my 1863. 23X10.5X12. Which was kinda of suprising!

Thank you for bringing the old man back to reality. LOL

Pops

Digger, I like your ideals. makes my lil solo hand pump mount look bad. no pics

Latest posts

Back