• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 23, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guys, my current "plow tractor" project took a little turn this weekend.

First, I have a confession to make.......I have been converted to the wonderful world of twins.....I blame the 782 for it!!!! Now all of my singles, even my beloved 149 seem harsh (no, it's not going away).

In that light, the 128 plow tractor project had been converted into the 682 plow tractor project!!!! (The 128 will lie in waiting for Steven III to get about 8 years old...then it will resurface as a father/son project.)

My new plow tractor....

27547.jpg

27548.jpg

...an early IH 682 (early grill w/screen) with a blown KT-17 (actually an "air conditioned" series II short block...too bad it took out the right side case with the filter base
sad.gif
)

27549.jpg

27550.jpg

Good news is, it has a BRAND-NEW PTO clutch on it, a new fuel pump, and a new starter!!!

27551.jpg

So now, the Series II long block that I have sitting in the shed from my 782 will get overhauled and installed in this chassis, along with the aux. hyd. lift pump, MWSC clutch and a nice 19T 2nd gear drive trans-axle.

27552.jpg

So, hopefully by this fall I'll be running a 782 AND a gear drive 682 at plow day......this could be a very FUN combination!!!!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Steve "B,
Ohhhhh the power of <font color="ff0000">"RED"!</font>

I just picked up a sweet little 128, something about those wide frame Grinders.

What's the general consensus on the electric lift? Is the main body of a electric lift from a 147 the same as one that would go on a 128? And yes I did look in the
censored.gif
parts book! The main body looks the same but different assembly #.

(Message edited by thoffman on April 24, 2005)

Steve...I hear your cry for
help.gif
See what happens when you give in to peer pressure...If you need an "intervention" or help to "Get the monkey off your back" I'd be happy to take the 682...I did'nt mean to ge you hooked...I feel like a back alley dealer that got his friend hooked on the "dope"
drool.gif

Question: working on bringing a 682 back to life, but there's no fire at all at the spark plugs. The points are spiting sparks, the condenser is new, the points are attached to the - side of the coil, and I'm getting approximately 11 volts to the coil when i'm turning it over. My real question is: Should the case of the coil be grounded to the engine? It seems that these KT-17 coils are covered with some sort of rubbery material that looks like it prevents a good ground. I've tried 3 coils so far with the same results (I have an abundance of kt-17's around) Any ideas?

I tried plowing my brothers potato garden today. I think the ground was too wet. The dirt was very tacky. You could ball it up into a ball easily and when you were making the ball your hands would stick to the dirt. There is also grass growing. I messed around with the adjustments but it didn't make any difference. It just pulled too hard. I think I'll give it one more week to dry. It isn't suppose to rain this week. I shined up the plow before i headed out.
27560.jpg

This area was lower down and more wet.
27561.jpg

This area was a little higher but it was still tough.
27562.jpg

Bart M.
A couple of years ago I did this to a new paint job.

27566.jpg

Made me so mad I built some brackets like this.

27567.jpg

They mount using the center bolts on the hinge.

27568.jpg

They stop the hood at this point. They work pretty good but I thought I could improve them but just never got back to that project. Maybe next year.

27569.jpg

Ya know, just about the time you trim the herd down to a easy to deal with level, the dang stuff starts piling up all over again!
But I did have fun this weekend!!!
27571.jpg

27572.jpg

Charlie,
Is that your yard! I might just have to swing over and help you clean up.
drool.gif

By the way, I have one open spot that could be filled with something yellow. You could "loan" me something to fill the vacancy.
I figured there is no way you could enjoy everything you have at the same time. Maybe you could rotate a few items to my yard.
whistling.gif

I was wondering if anyone else who has a 782d/882/1512 cub cadet could help me out with a few questions about the machine. Im not sure mine is getting enough fuel and i dont have a 5000 psi pressure tester to check everything. Is there a way to check this. The tractor makes very little to no black smoke even under load. It also seems to run rather rough much rougher than a ford tractor i looked at with a 14 hp kubota motor. I replaced all four motor mounts recently thinking that was the problem didnt help much. Could this rough running be connected to a possible fuel problem.

I check the injector timimg it seems fine. Also the tractor seems to run very warm in the summer near to 220 degrees when mowing if i dont stop mowing once it gets warm an let it idle for a few minutes to cool down. I replaced the thermostat when i replaced the water pump. radiator isnt clogged up i clean it out regularly. Last thing I think i read somewhere that the vavles should be set at 8-9 thousands. But the factory says 5-7 any ideas on which is better?

Mike J,
The case of the coil doesn't need grounded. Did you try new plug wires? They would be the last link in the chain.

Terry B,
That pile is just what found it's way to my house this weekend. Friday was a trip to Minneapolis, saturday was a trip to Dike Iowa. Tomorrow is a trip to Kellog Mn., it just never ends!
bubbly.gif

Todd,

Yeah, I switched them out with another kt-17 that i've got around the house. If the housing doesn't get grounded, how does the spark make it back to the coil to complete the circuit?

So what is the significance of the 147 and 149. Is there any 130 models? What is special about these two tractors? Anything? Because it seems like every one on this site and the other sites seem to have one of these in their collection. I personally think the 147 looks bada**.

Chuck

Digger you better be careful or your gona get a reputation !! Looks like another great haul, is that another 147? soon you'll have a 147 for every day of the week. ya that ones name is Tuesday & that one is Friday & oh of course this one is the Sunday special. Ha Ha

Mike,

The coil is just a transformer/capacitor (stepping up the voltage) in the ignition circuit......your points complete the connection to discharge the coil and ultimately the system references ground thru the spark plug body.

Chuck,

IH used a logical numbering scheme throughout the Cub cadet line.....with a few exceptions (7 & 8 hp tractors and 82 series) the numbering is as follows.

first 2 numbers = engine horsepower
last number = drive type and series.....odd numbers for hydros and even numbers for gear drives.

Series numbers were as follows, Original, x0 (70 &100), xx2/3, xx4/5, xx6/7, xx8/9, xx00/xx50, and the 82 series.

a 147 is a 14hp hydro from the 6/7 series of tractors ( a narrow frame w/electric lift std.).

A 149 is a 14hp hydro from the 8/9 series ( a wide frame with hyd. lift std.)

A 108 would be a 10hp gear drive wide frame of the 8/9 series.

Make sense???

Many people think that the 14hp Kohler is an ideal engine for it's balance of power and smooth operation. The 147, 149, and 1450 fill the bill.

Personally I still believe that the 149 is one of the best IH Cubs ever made...but after this afternoon's confession, I'll admit, my 782 isn't going anywhere either!!!!!

Kurt,

As always....ROTFLMAO!!!!! You have no fault in this...I was overdue for an "enlightenment"
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back