• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 01, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steve, wyatt,
thanks for the tire info, cool pic of those turf masters wyatt! i think either of those tires should satisfy my needs more than adequately, and are within 75 cents of each other at cedar rapids tire. hmmm. well, whatever i end up with, it'll be an improvement over what's on there now.

17420.jpg

Wyatt -

You mean like this?

17422.jpg

Good thing I took this pic earlier as everything's buttoned up and put away...

BTW, it's not clear, but the green wire is going to the same screw that's attaching the ground wire.

Bryan,
I know an older guy who is a mechanic at a big car dealership. He likes to play a trick on new guys. He takes a condeser and charges it up and lets it lay out in the open somewhere. If anyone picks it up with the body in one hand and touches the end of the wire with their other hand, they get one hell of a jolt! You probably know someone you would love to do that to.

All,
I have a snowthrower question; on a QA42A which is better, the auger with 4 paddles or the one with 2? Mine has the 4 paddle but it is in rough
shape and the sprocket is about shot. I also have an incomplete
QA42 with a 2 paddle auger that is in good shape and has a good sprocket. Is there a lot of performance difference between the two? Should I replace the sprocket on the 4 paddle, or just put the other auger in it? I know it will be fun to
try to cut that old sprocket off and replace it.
I have access to the equipment to do it properly,
but I'm wondering if it is worth the effort.

Nate...

i got the turfmasters last fall, and i love 'em... good sideways 'bite' when you hit that snow with the angle blade...

steve,
i was leaning more toward wyatt's tire, $22 for a 4 ply 16/6.50/8 is tough to beat.

congrats on the 128! my wife suggested to me that i not get any more cubs until i put an addition on the shed so they can all be parked inside.
buttrock.gif
she won't have to tell me twice!

scott,
it's decided then!... turfmasters it shall be!

thanks for all the input.

Nate,

You'll like the Turf-Master's...should dress that 169 up nicely.

Now go build a new Cub shed so you can e-x-p-a-n-d the collection!!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hi all.
Off Topic, but someone might be able to help me.
I'm the small engine instructor at an agricultural high school and have recently acquired a Megatech Mark III Transparant engine.
It has a glass cylinder and you can see the combustion taking place.
I have it running, but I have no information on it.
There must be a whole course of experiments that went with it.
Can anyone help?

Todd,
I have a QA42A with the 4 paddle auger and a QA36A with the 2 paddle auger. I haven't noticed much difference between the two. I think that the 4 paddle design breaks up the snow a bit more.

Got the truck all loaded up to head over to "Charlieland" after work tommorrow to take the sweepster over my parents lawn. Maybe if Charlie hears the 582 out playing he'll get out to check out another cub in his neighborhood
clappy.gif
or we might scare him into hiding.LOL

(Message edited by hsimon on April 02, 2004)

Frank- Missed it before, but just saw your note about additions to the workshop- congratulations... wish I was in YOUR shoes! I seriously need to retire this old Atlas 9 for a newer lathe, and my drill press could use an assist... mebbie a 2hp mill-drill for those days when I need to swing an annular cutter or hawg out a groove in something hard...

Hey Nate- what's the problem??? your back tires match.... Who cares about the fronts? They're never supposed to be on the ground anyway, right?

Anyone have an idea on how much "wiggle" intake valves should have? The engine I have supposedly smoked, bore looks good, piston has some detonation signs above the top ring. I have a feeling that the culprit was a loose intake valve. So . . . . if I replace the guide, does it have to be reamed to size after it's pressed in or do they already have that figured in?

Bryan-
Thanks, I'm thinking that's going to be the way I mount the coil on the engine I'm building. I like the QL linkage for throttle better, and running a fuel pump, the opposite side's about the only place a coil will fit.

KENtucky, good to see you posting again! I understand you're feeling better, glad to hear it!
km

Wyatt-TFM should have a stem-to-guide spec,although it's about a bitch to measure. Reaming the guide is necessary,in case it got distorted by the process.

Wyatt the kohler book gives a max wear limit on the id of the guide as .006 on the intake and .008 on the exhaust which seems like a lot to me. Im working on a continental L head 4 cyl [kinda of a streched out kohler] and they give .0015 as the clearance for the intake and .0045 for the exhaust. I suspect the guides on that motor for the smoking . The cylnders are in nice shape and .003 to .004 over but round.The book for continentals gives .008 on that . but kohler gives only .003

I have a question. I acquired a #1 tiller to mount on my 1450. I have the hitch bracket and the right-angle gear drive. I know I have heard someone mention something about a hydrostat belt guard when this is used. I don't have the belt guard. I was wondering what it looks like and how it mounts. Does it keeps the belt from hitting the hydrostat pickup tube? I need to get this thing usable in the near future. Thanks for your help

Hi Shawn!

The belt guard is a piece of about 1/4" OD wire (if you can call it that...) with loops in both ends, and bent into some sort of a U-shape. It bolts on somewhere around the front of the transmission/hydrostat area, and hangs down in such a way as to keep the belt from whappin' something. The 149 rolling-chassis I got last fall had SOME of it left, but I don't recall how much. At the time, I really wasn't sure what it was. I'll take another look this afternoon.

Now if anyone had a gauge I can use to measure the stem . . . . . . but then again I put a exhaust valve down the guide to see how loose it was, and exhaust valves have a tapered stem.

Latest posts

Back