All Things Deer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a fresh shipment of 12 gauge Accu-Tips...I've tried every sabot style slug on the market,except these.
Tha reason for the 20 ga vs. 12 ga...?
Felt recoil is number one...like Rick said. I just happened to have had a Rem 1100 in 12 ga when I started shooting sabot slugs,but I am looking for a fully-rifled slug barrel for my 20 ga 1187...cost wise,I can buy a new single shot H&R for around the same money.
I just like to get maximum use out of all weapons.
I've taken deer,duck,dove,turkey,crow and coyote with a simple choke or barrel change on my 1100!
Love that wore out shotgun!

Interesting thoughts on the 20ga. I've never had an issue with the recoil of a 12ga, but I could see where less is always better, especially in a non-autoloader.

Jason-
A slug gun with accu-trigger? Here ya go!

Savage Slug Gun

Back when my firearms were "liberated" in 1984 I immediately went out and bought a 12 ga single shot just so I'd have a gun. Now talk about recoil...like my grandfather would say, that gun will knock you down and stomp you. It's a Pardner SBI made by New England Firearms and it's also chambered for 3" but I wouldn't dare. You really do have to be careful because it has edges that are rather sharp and not rounded around the action and it will hurt you.

Lol, Wayne we were shooting one of those once with 3" # 4 turkeyloads....we didn't shoot long...wear a guy out!

Been seeing lots of smaller bucks. This guy has good potential long main beams and tines, only 6 points at year and a half.
252042.jpg

Shultzie, very nice!

Here's a couple photos of a nice one that's been hanging hanging around my area.

262020.jpg

262021.jpg

Here's a couple of a different deer than the one I posted yesterday.

262078.jpg

262079.jpg

Shultzie, thanks. I'd like to see some more photos of the deer you have around your place, but from the front, his antlers look crazy wide.
yikes.gif

All, the deer in the pictures look good. It has got my enthusiasm up. Also, this weekend my son and I are headed to Colorado to bow hunt Mule Deer - I have been going up there for the last 15 or so years - have come back with a deer every year but one and that was my fault - I missed. We hunt where mostly locals go and there is not many. Off the road for 7 miles and then another 6 on 4 wheelers - back where there is not many people and access is very limited - up two mountains at about a 30 degree angle, the area closes end of September due to the rough access. Be glad to get away and have fun.

Rodney, sounds like a great trip! Good luck and be safe. I've been to Colorado elk hunting three times. Last time was in 2001. Never tried for Mule Deer.

Kraig, Thanks we will be safe, we hunt in an over the counter elk area and we haven't decided on the elk tag just yet. We have seen quite a few in the area and last year I saw about 15 turkey just walking by - that really surprised me - I was at about 8500 ft.

Those two pictures is all I have of him. I think he's camera shy. But I'll keep trying.

Rodney, the first two times I hunted in Colorado it was out in the White River National Forest (aka "Flat top" country) near Meeker. That was in 1982 and 1993. I got a nice 5x5 in 1993.
happy.gif
We hunted up around 10000 feet, got there on horseback and with pack horses. The last time was somewhere south west of Denver which I didn't care for as much. I'd love to go back some day and hunt by Meeker again...

Shultzie, I bet he shows up again.
happy.gif

Kraig, small world, My father-in-law hunted around Meeker the only time he went. He always wanted to go back there but we just never made it and he had health problems later and couldn't. I hunt in area 35-36 just northeast of Eagle, I can also hunt in 45 and 361, this choice has quite a few areas you can go to. I got my first muley a 3x3 at Natureta close to Montrose in the Uncompahgre forest. The largest I have gotten was a 5X6, usually a 2x2 or 3x3 and does. Usually a 14-16 hour drive (one way) but it is worth it.

Latest posts

Back