• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

All Things Deer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allen;

Shotgun slug technology has changed a lot in the last several years...what used to be a 50 yd "hope I hit it" shot has turned into 2" groups at 100 yds with the RIGHT set-up. The drawback being most shotguns have a trigger designed for "slapping" instead of squeezing. Timney now has a trigger kit for Rem 870/1100 shotguns(which also fits 7600/7400 series rifles)
that helps a lot.
I shoot a Remington 1100 12 gauge,rifled barrel,open sights and I can get bench rest 4" groups at 100" until the neck pain kicks in.(I have tree bulging discs.)
There are a few states that allow shotgun-only deer seasons,so firearm manufacturers are stepping up the game,plus most military bases have shot-gun only areas that are less pressured.
Whew! Gotta love a slug!
Shotgun.gif

Well it ain't nothin' to brag about like Shultzie's buck. But it's meat in the freezer.

This buck was taken on my brother Jim's farm. You can tell he's an IH guy if you look closely in the background.

Sorry the picture isn't better. My niece took the picture.
249628.jpg

Wow, tough year this year. 4 guys worked hard for 4 deer, I usually shoot 4-5 myself. I got mine at 110 yards with the H&R 20 ga.
Anyway, I found a proper back-drop for the picture!

249698.jpg

Bruce Carl,

Looks just like the deer in my neck of the woods. Deer that size are better eating anyway (not as tough). I always say; "you can't eat the horns anyway." A few more like that, and you can go into the canning business!
thumbsup_old.gif

Shultzie,

I finally got a nice one this evening. The rack is not as big as yours, but it is a pretty good sized deer. It weighed 164 lbs. That is pretty big for around here. One of the tines is broken. It looks like an old break.

249927.jpg

249928.jpg

Marty, congrats, that's a nice buck! Too bad he broke one tine. I like the tall antlered racks.

Bruce, Rick, not sure how I missed your posts.
blush.gif
bash.gif
Gotta like venison.
happy.gif
yummy.gif

Nice one Marty! I like the tall racks as well - easier to see when they are sneaking through the brush.

I might should have put this in the goins and comins but we had a terrible tragedy in NC this morning. A 12 year old boy was shot and killed while deer hunting. He was hunting with his father, uncle, and a cousin. He started hunting when he was 4 years old. The news hasn't stated many details other than he was shot "in the torso". I really feel bad for that family even though I didn't know them. It happened about forty miles from me on public land near Falls of the Neuse Lake which is north of Durham, NC.

You just can't be too careful and I feel someone there had no business hunting at all. Every deer hunter should know rule number one...know what your shooting at and when in doubt pull that gun/rifle up.

Wayne,

Hate to hear that. Didn't hear anything about it on the news. Whoever did the shooting definitely doesn't know anything about gun safety, or how to use them properly.
How in the world can someone shoot a deer when they can't even tell if it is one or not?
screwloose.gif

I don't even attempt to shoot until I can determine what kind of deer it is, and if it is big enough.

I heard later that it was the uncle that did the shooting. I also heard the gun (shotgun) went off accidentally and that he didn't have a proper license or had even taken the hunter safety course required in this state. He now has a terrible thing to live with for the rest of his life.

Wayne, sorry to hear about this. Bad deal anyway you look at it.

Wayne, so so sad to hear of a youngster losing their life hunting. I can only imagine the pain and suffering the family is having to walk through now.

Here in Iowa there have been quite a few shooting accidents and a few fatalities since deer season opened. It seems to have amounted to people not paying attention to where the others in their hunting parties are at.

angel.gif

Wayne, Marty: My local paper in the East reported a hunting fatality that is NOT considered to be accidental. It seems the hunter got into an altercation with a second individual who was also armed.

I just read the news report and the uncle was only 30 years old and had an "improperly acquired hunting license". He hadn't had proper training either as I mentioned earlier. It didn't say anything about any altercations involved. To me that sounds like a reporter just trying to make some sick name for him/herself. If anger was involved I hope they throw the book at him. He had NO business being there in the first place. The article did state there may be charges pending.

Well on my way home the other night I was forced to make a choice hit the deer or try the ditch.

well I tried the ditch at 65 mph but it was too short and I met the end where the state plow left a frozen pile of snow.

Maybe the deer was the better option in after thought.

board-post.pl

board-post.pl

board-post.pl

board-post.pl

Latest posts

Back