• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

450 snow blower refurb

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some sanding done today. I will treat what I have done in the am and move to finish the inside and treat that also. Then prime and paint and some slip-plate for the chute area.Pictures later .
old.gif

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

I lost the link to the service manual for the 450 snow blower. Could you please post a link here so I can get the correct lube for the gear box. Thanks
worthy.gif

I cleaned everything up in the gear box today and found some type of gunk J holding the gasket out of place. I know it leaked because it was allmost dry when I opened it over a basin. The gasket will be glude again the correct way.Just a little line of the right stuff..
215712.jpg

215713.jpg

215714.jpg

215715.jpg

and get a new gasket .

DONALD - That "RIGHT STUFF" is GOOD STUFF. Toughest sealing job I've ever encountered is either timing cover or intake manifold valley gaskets, they're both bad. Most engine gasket kits have CORK gaskets for those positions and we ALL know how great they are. I throw them away and put a bead of Right Stuff down, let it skin over while enjoying an adult beverage,
beerchug.gif
then assemble and have never had one leak.

There's supposed to be something similar for sealing the oil pans and other applications from International, it's gray and comes in a 14 ounce tube for a chalking gun that's good too, but expensive. I see it at my local dealer but I have a hard enough time using a whole can of Right Stuff while it's still good.

Dennis Frisk

You are correct "RIGHT STUFF" is great, I have been using it for years and never had a leak. I think I will use the cork gasket and glue one side of it and then run a small bead (round tooth pick size)around the edge of the cork gasket. I know that will stop any leak. I have to get three new seals soon and put this back together.I`am about ready to put on the East system epoxy also. That is great stuff also.The repair will be as strong and white paint over it i`am sure I won`t have a problem with it lifting. I should be finished with this 450 snow blower next week. It was great that Kraig posted a picture of his snow thrower , man He did a great job and now I have something to aim for. I would still like to come up with a hyd lift for it but I`am more interested to get it back in good working shape first. I have primed and will soon spread some paint.Thanks for your help.

Don-
I appreciate you posting pics of this #450 blower as you've taken it apart. I have fears that my #450 blower is lacking gearbox lube as well. (Not sure why I'm fearful of it, it certainly works fine, I've just never seen the inside of it to check it over.)

How tough is it to pull apart to get to the point you did? I'd like to clean up the old gunk and replace with new gunk. (LOL!)

Art A

not that hard realy ounce you get to and have this done Donald Tanner (Dtanner) on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 10:42 am:. then just remove the sprials and take the 8 bolts out of the box and pop it apart. I will have a look to see how the seal come out. looks like the spiral has a key that can be removed after the bearing is lifted off I see a clip there . so with a printed parts list in frot of me I will move forward. I will use the right stuff to seal this back up,It is the best stuff I have found and comes in a tube( picture if needed)I`am making a list of seals this am and I see I need a new 6" idler pulley that is bent.I`am going further and see what the inner box needs before I give Charlie another order. The belt cover is on bo . but I think I can run the blower with out that I hope. more later.

Art A

After I do this one I`ll do your blower, just send it over lol. I ran into a small problem getting the bearing to come off. seems it wears on the shaft edge and causes a bur that had to be hand filed to slide the bearing off to replace the seal. That all done and I will need a new seal and then put this back together. here are a few pictures because I take all kinds so I can go back and know what goes where lol. Its a bummer when you get old.........
board-post.pl

here is where hand file came in handy

board-post.pl

nasty seal

board-post.pl

dang I hate that
215766.jpg

215767.jpg

215768.jpg

Done for now, heck might as well do the front gear box,that will make a mess .

Now i`am going to take this box apart and see if its in good shape. I think it could stand new grease and put it back together.

Bag and tag

215784.jpg

Clean up needed
215785.jpg

This is better , now apart she comes

215786.jpg

There , I`am down to getting a few new seals and fluids and reinstall this box.More sanding
bash.gif

215794.jpg

215795.jpg

215796.jpg

There you go Art A , nothing to it if you tackle it in stages.
clappy.gif
old.gif

I`am not posting much when I start this 1961 Original,Can`t waite to get at it.
215804.jpg

215805.jpg

215806.jpg

I think and hope this weight will work great with the 450 snow blower. I don`t want chains on the new drive way(well not this year ). Now the other wheel.
215846.jpg

Someday soon I have to install the fenders that I got from frank C . They will soon be ready for paint and this tractor will some day get a nice paint job.I realy love the torque and fuel usage with the Diesel.As soon as my mower tractors dies I will use this to mow the lawn here and then will need another Diesel for utility use.

215856.jpg

Hi Diesel Don!

That gearbox is well built as long as it retains lube; most I have seen were run dry and subsequentially failed. I rebuilt mine using Mobil 1 synthetic grease, I have had great results with it in "wet" use such as a snow thrower or snowmobile.
I suspect it was designed to have snow act as a cooling medium, a wise idea.
I inspected the picture of the impeller; it's condition determines how well the machine performs. Yours looks good; must have the 4 paddles at the 90* position, not bent back. That kills performance bigtime, just like an engine out of time.

Also about the wight issue: been there done that. Here's the trick. Overhung front weight is the 450 right? Now add snow on top of it and we are talking a heavy weight over the front axle. How to compensate? Not axle weights (wheels) but (drum roll) REAR overhung weight. You already have the 3 point A-frame. Add weight to it! Think of the lever principle Don, etc. One pound 18" BEHIND the axle does way more than one pound at the axle to counter the heavy front weight. I have a #551 on my 1782 diesel Super so I know that by experience.}

Jim Diederichs

Thanks for your ideas,its all ways great to hear from you.I have giver the weight issue some thought and I do have a plan to add weight to the 3 point A frame. I have a big weight, Rear wheel from a big tractor and a front wheel weight and was going to add that to the A frame. The rear weight must be well over 100 lbs and the front must be 50 lbs. I thought I would chain them and bolt them fast so they don`t move around. Thanks for the grease idea I was thinking a good synthetic and I can get Mobil 1 synthetic grease here and now will use that.Can you post what you used in the front box also??? I can say its a pile of work to get a blower back to good working condition and I have bought ICE BREAKER two part epoxy for the white.That paint is tough and won`t chip easy and has a nice gloss finish.The gloss finish should help with snow sticking fast to the blower I hope. Next week I will be using a east system epoxy resin and 16oz boat cloth to repair the leading edge of the blower drum and that will make for a strong repair. I should have the blower ready to use next week and will only need an idler pulley (6") from Charlie to make this blower run great. I have a new belt and Can`t Waite to put this on the front of the diesel to be ready for snow season.My hold up now are just the 6" idler and what to put in the worm gear box for fluid. I will put some black paint on the blower just to be different lol.Great to see you are posting on here. all the best .Don T
thumbsup_old.gif

Don Tanner,

Great thread on the 450 snow thrower. And timely too! I have one also and was just trying to figure out what grease I needed for the gear boxes. Thanks for the great pictures. You do inspire sir!

Steve

Latest posts

Back