• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

450 snow blower refurb

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don, it was not me that mounted lights on the drift cutters. Mine are mounted on the grill frame. I believe the first person that I saw do a snowthrower mounted light setup was Wyatt Compton. Then Scott Harris did a snowthrower mounted light set, then Art Aytay did a setup on his 1450 with QA42A snowthrower. Then Steve Blunier made a setup but I can't find the photos of his.
bash.gif

Here's the setup that Wyatt did:

216402.jpg

216403.jpg

216404.jpg

Here's the setup that Scott Harris did.

216405.jpg

216406.jpg

Here's Art's old 1450 with lights on the QA42A:

216407.jpg

216408.jpg

Thanks Kraig
I`am thinking that if I mount another set of lights out there I will have more light and in front of the blower must be a better place. I have a big overhead light on my driveway so I won`t need much light. Down at the end of the drive is another matter.
old.gif

Well I have gone as far as I can go alone. The blower will have to be lifted down to the floor and the sub frame attached. This prety much done, Charlie is sending me a new pulley and a cover for the gear box and then I`am done with this job. Now the fenders for diesel will get some more sanding and priming. I won`t install them till my wind breaker gets here. I will change some brackets to mount the back off the plate for my hitch with some flat bar.

216424.jpg

216425.jpg

I went in the shop at 9am and put my tractors in for the night at 6,a long day for me yesterday.
old.gif

216426.jpg

Kraig or Art

What do you guys use for grease for the chute base blower area? I`am thinking never seize, or a marine grease I have here that is not affected by water. All ideas welcome. Thanks guys as with out your help and this site I would never have Attempted this job. Thanks again
old.gif

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

I did use that inside the blower and never thought to put in on the chute. Thanks Don

Don, IMO the discharge chute is the most important area to coat with Slip-Plate.

Kraig

I just never thought with the plastic chute slip plate would do much. I have it here and will give it a coat . thanks Don T
stupid.gif

Don, It might not make as much of a difference if your model 450 has the plastic chute.
dunno.gif

Don-
The earlier #450 blowers had a tall metal chute, the later versions had a plastic chute. If yours is plastic, don't coat it with anything. It won't need it...

When I first got my #450 snowblower, I thought the plastic chute was a joke....Until I used it! The great thing about the plastic chute is that it "wobbles" slightly when the impeller is engaged. That wobble means the snow CAN'T stick! It's either BRILLIANT, or just plain lucky, but it works.

Bottom line, leave the (plastic) chute alone, it will be fine.
happy.gif

Guys I got a few questions here that I can`t find answers for .The gear box on the back of the blower is adjustable. Do I adjust it to have the shaft throught the hole in the drum level? or in as much as I can put the end of the box and shaft ? Also would it be a good idea to grease the shafts before I put the augers on to keep them from rusting and sticking fast? Thanks Don T

I have given this some thought and I think I will put everything together and then tighten the bolts that hold the augers and then adjust the rear gear box. I should be safe doing it that way. I don`t think it will hurt the shaft to have some grease on them before I slide the augers on. as soon as I get someone to help lift it off the table in the shop I can finish it and give it a test. Thanks Don T

Melody Schutz

I`am around . I have been looking for some washers that I need for the 450 snow blower, and can`t buy them anywhere.most of the bolts have rust on them so bad that the threads are missing.I have been replacing most of the bolting as I go with stainless . I will be able to mount this blower soon I hope. I have used never-seez ever where also.I never did get all the all the paint off and do a proper job on the blower. I don`t think now is the time for that. I have gone through it and did what was needed to make it good. It will get a good paint job some summer day and then will look like new.I would much rather have something to use than pretty lol.I don`t know now how I got anything done when I was working 8 to 4.30 . I don`t get done what I want done now and have all the time .I hope to have the blower install in the am IF the boss lets me out in my shop.The wife has a way of reminding me what her plans are ( repeat,repeat). she says I have selective hearing lol. Have a great day . later Don T

What kind of big rigs do you drive, Ken, Pet, Volvo ?and what do you haul?Flat deck , container, freight?
old.gif

Don T. <font size="-2">Many of us along in life have been accused of 'selective hearing'...don't think a $3000 hearing aid gonna help either!</font>
shhh.gif

Don T, I took the mower off the 127 and put on the snow plow today.With my cousins help of course, since I've been home with a bad sciattic nerve since the end of September. Starting to feel better. I drive a 06 9400 International and haul store freight for a BIG box store company. I always enjoy your posts,keep'm coming. Waiting to get payed so I can rebuild pto on 125 then put on the snowblower.

Ready to install this blower on my 1512 Diesel. The paint is s%%T but will have to do for this winter.At least I know what I have to use with it all gone through and new seals.hope the windbreaker soon gets here so I will be ready for the snow.
216830.jpg

216831.jpg

Thanks for all the help I recived on this !

Donald,
Hey, been a while...........
The 450 looks great! I hope you get many years of service out if it, they work great. Glad you bought the tall chute I suggested?
old.gif

Speaking of the chute, you may want to get a small hydraulic motor to do the chute rotation since you have the front outlets (lucky guy, my 1782 does not!)
bash.gif

With a cab on especially manually rotating it is a pain. Add an electric actuator for the chute's deflector and you'll have the Porsche of snow handling machines.

Jim Diederichs
And good to hear from you, You have steered me in the right dirrection and I`am happy with your great advice.I have given some thought to adding a 12 volt device to turn the chute and just need to find the easest way to mount this .
216996.jpg

This is a window winder off my 99 Jeep.I know Ken Wood in PEI has done this mod and will have to get pictures so I can have this on my 450.I know I won`t like
bash.gif
getting in and out of the Cab to move the blower around and adjust the chute. so I`am looking for that mod and hope to coppy that idea.Thanks again
old.gif

coffee.gif

Don,
I mounted mine where the original manual one was, with a few fabbed brackets
217004.jpg

217005.jpg

here is a neat control for th chute, a winch control for an ATV from TSC
217006.jpg

Latest posts

Back