• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

2084 electrical/ignition problem

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

price

displayname
Paul S. Rice
My tractor is a 2084 (New in 1994)I bought it in 03 The engine is a CH20S 20 horse Kohler. I have twice had the mouse nest problem inside the flywheel shroud (dang rodents) The engine starts good when cold but is hard to start when warmed up. Lately my real problem is the Left side cylinder cuts out when mowing or snow blowing. At times it comes right back and others it takes up to a minute for the plug to start firing again. I did find several chewed spots on the white wire coming from the left ignition module and goes to the right side ignition module. I taped the wire but that had no effect on the problem. I now suspect the ignition module is going bad. I had my son pull the plug wire while it was acting up and there was no electrical charge going to the plug. I have no Cadet dealer nearby so am looking to fix/repair it myself. I can reach the module to remove it but do not have a service manual to know what gap to set the new one from the flywheel magnets. My big question is am I looking at the right or wrong thing that is causing my cut out problem. There is a dealer that is willing to work on the tractor but he sells the UGH green machines.

That really sounds like a heat-related magneto failure. I think I gapped the mags on a CH18 I have to 9 thou, and that worked great. That white wire is probably the kill wire; all it does is ground the mags to shut off the engine.

Matt thanks for the info. This leads to a more recent problem. When I shut off the engine instead of just shutting down it sort of winds down for a few seconds and then shuts off.

I would replace that kill wire if mice have been chewing on it. They may have chewed through it enough to make it work intermittently.

Matt is correct, the white (mag kill) wire is bad, so the engine winds down because the fuel solenoid closes as it should. Once the white wire is replaced it'll shut off normally.

And yes, the ign. module on the left sounds like is is near death, might as well replace while in the neighborhood. They will first fail "hot" and eventually altogether.

Oh, btw, some places sell a spray bottle of mice&rat repellent, might just do the trick! I think the Farm and fleet types stores carry it, proly Tractor supply too.

To test the module could you unplug the kill wire at the module to rule out the wire being the problem?

Hey many thanks guys. This helps immensely. My 102s are much easier to work on but as I go this 20 hp Kohler will become somewhat easier. Yes I have 2 102 cadets too. They are running fine. Rat repellent will most likely work much better than our 17 yr old cat.

It has been a few days but I finally got a new ignition module for my 2084. I replaced the left module with the new one and replaced the wihte wire between the two modules I just got her reassembled last night and she fired right up and shut down as she should. This morning I used her to drag about a half dozen small trees to my back yard and it worked very well. Just a few minutes ago I finished mowing in about 85 degree weather for about two hours in some 8 inch tall grass. Not a miss no cut outs or anything. Again many thanks for your help in getting this tractor back in the yard and kicking grass.

Yes thanks guys, fixing this 2084 is getting easier thanks to all of you.

Latest posts

Back