• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1862 bolt size needed

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btoenjes

displayname
Brian Toenjes
Was just gifted a used Cub Cadet lawn tractor. Through research I think this is a model 1862. I am looking for the bolt size for the (2) threaded holes on the front of the frame (for a weight braket?). I’ve tried 7/16 to 1/2 bolts as well as #12 metric, all to no avail. Please help.

223224.jpg

Secondly, how do I determine when this machine bas built?

BT

Brian,
WELCOME.gif
I believe those should be 1/2-13 threads. Make sure that nothing is in the threads like dirt.

Thanks! I will check it ouit. Don't know the pitch of the 1/2" bolt I tried.

Brian Toenjes

I know those two bolts are used on a 450 snow thrower .
ihrotate.gif

Don T. is correct, they are 1/2-13 thread, in other words a standard 1/2 coarse-thread bolt. These weld-nuts were often distorted slightly during install, so I am not surprised it just doesn't want to accept the bolt. I would chase the threads with a tap since the hole is out of round slightly. After you do that it will be fine. I would only use grade 5 or better capscrews in those weld-nuts. Btw, I think they were spin-welded in place during mfg.

Much appreciated! I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to ruin anything before I tapped.

Brian Toenjes

Those holes also hold the front bumper on.I found a damaged thread on an 1862 I had here and was able to start the bolt from the inside of the frame and that did fix the threads up so I could get the bolt started on the outside. Some snow blower bolts have a tapered end to help align the bolts to install the snow thrower. I found they can also mess up the threads trying to get them started.
wink.gif

Ran a 1/2" - 13 tap through and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Latest posts

Back