• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1512 Turbo plow tractor project

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys,

No pics in for awhile, but I've still been plugging away.
The fuel tank dilemma is over as I dove in to the Cat 0 world thanks to everyones favorite auction site (and a forum member).
It's a bit odd because it was on a 582 with MANUAL lift and has the complete lift assist on it. I can't imagine many of those were ever purchased...I know I've never seen one.

293861.jpg

293862.jpg

Been a sandblast and painting marathon, but it's shaping up. Each part I have lugged 2 hr round trip to work and many I've carried on a 7 block walk from where I park. I can't wait to carry the hitch in!
I'm fortunate that this was a well maintained machine.This is the first Hydro I've had that does not leak a single drop of anything.I can spend more time on cosmetics. (and of course the little hair dryer)
Fuel system has been completely gone through and the tank flushed. The fuel lines were as hard as a brick-bat.
Front axle assembly all cleaned up / painted and made new spindle bushings.

293863.jpg

Rick...Coming together nicely! Can't wait to see tires and hitch on it.
popcorn2.gif

Rick,
Looking good. I saw that hitch on Epay and almost bid on it to put on my 1512. Glad I didn't. Hopefully the lift bar from the hitch to the front will work for ya. When I bought a Cat 0 for the 782D, it came with a lift bar for a manual lift tractor. It had different bends and didn't work since it hit the frame. I sold that lift bar to Dave S. with a bunch of parts. I think Dave tracked down the bar to fit an 1810 IIRC. I never knew they made a different bar for manual vs. hydraulic lift until then. Just an FYI. Maybe one for a 582 is earlier and will fit. Don't want ya to get stuff all painted up, go to put on the hitch, and not have that bar fit. Maybe Dave still has some pics of that bar. Then you can compare the two. Ended up snagging a new bar from Aaron.

Under edit: Just hopped on Aaron's site and the lift bars only have one bend. The one in your pic has two. So the one you have pictured was like the one I had and it didn't work. Double check it. Hopefully someone else can confirm or prove me wrong. Just trying to save ya a headache/delay.
beerchug.gif

Manual lift bars are different due to the front mounting ear placement on the 3 speed transaxle.

Aaron adds a nice hole to the right side of his 3pt. brackets (similar to the one in the frame for the hyd. lift cylinder pin) to allow the pin to be pulled easily at the lift bar / rockshaft connection. Makes install and assembly a lot easier. I would recommend adding the hole to your stock 3pt. (I will be to the next one I install).

Aaron makes nice parts, I'm sure a lift bar from him will work slick.

Thanks Josh for catching that,
I was looking for an excuse to spend more money anyway...
thumbdown.gif

Steve, Aarons stuff is great. I've actually worked with him on developing a couple of his products.(His Original seat pan was developed from my pattern and critiques)
I've pushed him as much as I could towards coming up with some of his more popular products like the parts to adapt a standard Brinly plow to Cat 0.
We all win when a guy like that gets bit by the Cub bug!

Any chance the spring assist could be used to take some strain off of the hydraulic cylinder?

Steve,
Thanks for the confirmation.

Rick,
I was a newbie with the Cat O stuff. Bought my setup from a knowledgeable CC jockey. He knew what he had, I didn't. Fool me once, shame on you......
happy.gif
Not a big deal. The bar I got from Aaron worked like a dream. Easy fix other than the little extra green spent. Now ya need a Cat O plow.
whistling.gif
err.gif

Back up the bus Gus.
I guess I better keep that lift bar for when I turn it into a real tractor and convert that slush box to a GEAR DRIVE.
Sorry, I'm a gear drive guy at heart.
buttrock.gif

(Probably wouldn't do it....but I can dream right?)

Go for it Rick! Saw a cobbled up 1512 on CL up in Wisconsin last year sometime. The PO had already put a gear drive rear into it, then apparently lost interest. The driveline could be interesting. Anything is possible with some fabrication.....

I'm not sure I want to associate this build with Mr. Cobbled up guy!
And since I want to get my son in the field I need the hydro. and lift.
Aint that kid lucky, his first ride will be a turbo diesel!
Shift.gif

I sold the 169 that he claimed as his to fund the project, so he assumes this is one his!(We'll see about that)

I have to stick with the plan or I'll NEVER get done!

Had a marathon at the sandblast cabinet Friday and Saturday.
Hitch, rear wheels and misc. pieces done and painted.
I'll give the wheels a week to cure and then finally get the meats mounted up!
I looked around at front tires, and the 6.50 Firestone tri-ribs look like the ticket. But holy crap they are over priced. $70 each for a Viet Nam made tire???
I'll throw my 4.00 x 8's on it to awhile, but they are a bit skinny for something with so much sheet metal up front to my taste.

Getting through the mechanical checks as well. Rear axle seals looked to be leaking as the brakes were full of grease and oil. (Although it has not dripped in my garage).
The trans. fluid I was told was fresh, and it was, but it shure was not Hytran. The internals look fantastic.

294053.jpg

294054.jpg

16x6.50x8 V61's.......Perfect for your application, look cool, and much better quality than the Firestone knock-offs (I have seen several sets of those blister and peel after a few years).

I had the V61's on my 108. I liked them very well overall, but they are not as good as a tri-rib strictly in the dirt IMHO.
I may go that route again though because the price of the 'Stones is a joke. (Same goes for the 23 degree bar tires)

When you add power steering to that beast you won't notice the difference between 3 ribs and 5 ribs!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

.....I'm spending your money again Rick....
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

I disagree, not because of their performance, but because of the quality of materials they are made of these days........they are not the "old Firestone" tires......

Exactly why I started looking at alternatives. I'm not sure how they can justify the price for what you get with the new versions. (I've owned neither just what I read)
Somebody at XYZ importing needs their bubble burst by a tire company that brings a better tire at a better price. They are riding a monopoly on a popular tread design.
I'm not a competitive puller, so best bang for the buck works for me. I really like the BKT trenchers for a "value" tire.
I'm anxious to see how my Kenda Executioners work!

I did buy power steering components already, but that will have to wait for another winter!

I always wanted a red Binder diesel.
I had to compromise:
I have a diesel with red binders!

294130.jpg

Yeah Art, except minus a few Pistons and $$$.
Finally off of the jack stands! Still have lots of small stuff to do but it's nice to be able to move it.
And stare at it making motor noises.
294180.jpg

Back