• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1512 Turbo plow tractor project

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick,
thumbsup.gif

Rick,

What Dino-Juice did you feed it? 15-40, 10-30????

I ended up using 15w-40 Rotella T. That's my usual go-to oil. At least that way two of the fleet share the same oil. (Truck)

Sounds nice...and runs smooth! How did the gauges go in for you? Looks like stock panel with trimmed retainers......

The gauges went in good.....no doubt that's a squeeze getting everything packaged up tidy under that itty bitty dash.
It turned into a father son project. I finally got my 12 year old on board and he helped me figure out where to trim the retainers.
He also made the choice of the "green" light diffusers in the gauges.
I ended up wrapping the gauge bezel with 3M carbon fiber that was left over from my truck. I'm really happy with that look. That stuff is amazing.

Last night I tacked the exhaust extension together. I'll bring it to work today for finish welding. My shop operates on a single 20 Amp fuse so I'm a little limited on equipment!

Having read many threads about these tractors running a bit hot, I cleaned the radiator fins (a few times) with air, water, and coil cleaner.

Dirt and dust residue is a dead giveaway as to where there is NOT adequate airflow.
Right behind the grill brace was loaded with dust, and of course the outer fringes away from the center of the fan.
The brace is blocking a fair amount of flow in my opinion.

It is about to meet "The Ventilator".
I think I'll pop some holes in there and hit them with a dimple die.
293553.jpg

Made up a little hour meter relocator.
293556.jpg

Sent all the tin to the body shop....that is going to HURT $$.
I'll work on getting the frame paint touched up as well as going over the rest of the chassis for potential problems.

I really would like to use a sleave hitch arrangement on this, but this arrangement may not be doable from what I can find. (remember I'm a diesel newbie)
I hate to commit to a Cat 0 hitch. Much prefer the sleave hitch for my use.

Oh....is that all?? LOL.
Lots of folks have tried various solutions. Seems most end up with a Cat 0 or a cobbled mess.
Maybe I'll TIG up my own tank, add the volume somewhere else.

Rick,
Why are ya against a Cat 0? Cost or preference? Mike hit the nail on the head with the fuel tank. Takes up quite a bit of real estate under there. I know guys have put the older CC "three point", sleeve hitch, whatever we call 'em, on Supers and the later MTD's which I know you've seen, too. You could make a new tank and get the clearance you need. Don't know how much volume you'd loose though. That tank hugs the fender pan and uses as much space as it can. I, myself prefer the Cat 0's but that's me. The fact the smokers sip fuel, losing some tank volume may not be too big of an issue unless you crank up and max out that huge fuel pump.
biggrin.gif
If ya decide to go that route, hang onto the original tank. Impossible to find 'em. Are you adding any addition ventilation to the side panels like Steve did?

Josh,
I've had the Cat 0 hitch before and I won't knock it.
Mostly a cost and convenience thing. If I ran a fleet of SGT's it would be different. As it is I have no budget to dive into a Cat 0.
I am adding venting to the turbo side panel. It will be a mesh screen with a cut to match the profile of the panel. (If that makes sense) The body guy is handling it.... We'll see.

I haven't seen my louvers with primer or spot putty on them yet.....maybe the body guy should have handled mine too......
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
Only time will tell!!!!!

Rick,
I hear ya on the three point. They are a pricey commodity. Anything's possible with some mods, so the tank thing prolly would work if you don't mind losing some fuel capacity. Sounds like the sheet metal is gonna be nice once you get it back from the body shop, too. The spring plowdays are just around the corner.
buttrock.gif

"Touching up" the paint on the frame turned into a major undertaking.
I'm pretty sure that this tractor (CCC) had the worst quality painting process of anything that I have owned. (And I don't just mean Cub Cadets)
Even the black painted things give up their paint to blue masking tape....THAT's crap.
I started removing paint from the trouble areas and it turned into me grinding 3/4's of the frame to bare metal.
I also welded up the typically worn places from toting around a mower deck.
The factory paint was barely adhered to the metal so it was chipped and pealed in many areas. Lot's of extra taping to keep the black things black when doing an "engine-in restoration".
It turned out really nice, but now my Hyd. outlets and brake pedal look pretty crusty! More $$

I gave the three point some thought (and beers), and I'm just not going to worry about it at this point. I'm better off plugging away on the tractor and getting it back together and save that dilemma for another day. I was hell bent on having it done to the hilt by Spring. I'm satisfied with how this has come along thus far, so I'll save the hitch for the icing on this cake.

293652.jpg

Anybody know where to find the numbered "height adjustment" decal that is on the small bracket on the right side of tractor?
I don't see it on the Cub parts listing or included with any decal kits.
Of course....I miss things sometimes.

Rick B

nice job your doing there . I have plans to paint y 1512 after i get done modding it.I just finished the cab and got my led lights installed and in the am I plan to put on the IH snow chucker . If it works out I might not mod one of my 450`s till I get my turbo installed . I know if I don`t do all the mods I have planned first I will only scratch up the ne paint and make a mess of it .

That is a very clean looking job you've done. Very professional, especially the pipes you installed for the turbo.

Back