• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1512 Turbo plow tractor project

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josh, you ain't kidding, I am getting the itch

Better give that 169 some love instead, you'll still have money left to treat the wife!
joker.gif

I'm calling this project done! Everything past today will have to be considered revisions...LOL.
I'm eyeing a couple different "Turbo" decals or emblems but can't make up my mind yet.
My wife is undergoing hip surgery next week so I'm wrapping up the garage work and concentrating on her.
(She's 39 not 79 in case your wondering)

So anyhow...here are some daylight pictures. The Cat 0 is on it but I did not take a picture of it's hiny.

295218.jpg

295219.jpg

295220.jpg

Rick,
I have to say the before pic didn't look bad at all. But the after pic, now that's one bad "hiney"ed turbo plowing tractor. Paint looks like glass. Nice Rick. Nice.
drool.gif

rick what made you go with the later issue stickers or where the original early 1512 stickers not available?

Thanks guys,
Josh, yeah it was a good tractor to start with. Same owner since 1988 and he kept every receipt. Like....driveshaft redone every 100 hrs if your wondering how long those last...LOL.
The paint is "pretty good", I told the body guy that it's not a show tractor and that I just wanted it to be shiny and not fall off. So there are a couple runs...a little orange peel....or Character marks as I'll call them!

Jeff, That's what was included with the Maple Hunter kit. I would be pissed if I was doing a 100 pt. restoration. BUT...I was going to pitch the hood decals and have custom ones done because I dislike the factory 1512 graphics...I mean that crap was ugly.
I've always this later style....so it kind of worked out!

Shultzie, video with sound in the March 8 Archive
cubwinker.gif

The 1512 survived it's maiden voyage plowing.
90+ degrees and my temperature sender failed, so I was very cautious. Would run about 7 psi boost on a medium/hard pull.
Had to laugh when people could not believe I would actually plow with that pretty of a tractor..
lol.gif

Lost couple spring pins and the temp. Sender were the only problems.
Damn I do good work.
298167.jpg

Rick, nice!
thumbsup.gif
I agree that it's a "pretty" tractor but a little dirt won't hurt it.
happy.gif

Rick--that thing turned out great! Do you have any video of it plowing? I love the look of the overall package. As always, you did a great job!

Plow day aftermath.
Not sure what is hurt, tore the top end off last night.
For sure: engine died and the starter did not want to crank it over at first. Then it started and idled fine. Had a little coolant dribble out between block and head.
Might have excess blow by.... Which makes no sense with a head gasket.
Coolant and oil both looked good when drained.
Cylinder walls look great.
I'm hoping for head gasket and done???
Why would it have died? Was WOT 8psi boost.
Did not overheat.
299893.jpg

299894.jpg

299895.jpg

After discussing with my Kubota expert / experienced engine builder....optimism smashed.
Pretty sure I'll find a hurt piston. Previous owner may may subjected it to some starting fluid in the past and done some damage that was aggravated by the first hint of hard use.
The tractor had never worked real hard before, let alone plowed before.....turbo or not.

Boys and their toys....

Rick, ouch! Hopefully it wont cost too much $$$ to get back running.

Yikes Rick! Hopefully it isn't something as bad as that! If so, are you going to switch to the 640?

Josh,
Its a tough call what to do. But whatever I do it will be the right decision!
taunt.gif

I was hoping to get a good day of seat time this fall, that hope is fading fast though.

Back