• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

147 motor in a 149

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
Will a 147 motor fit in a 149 without modifications? I know the 147 is a NF and a 149 is a WF. That's why i'm asking.

The 147 was the first 14 hp, and had the frame bump out. The 149 was designed for the larger horsepower blocks, and did not need the bump out in the frame. A starter/generator 14hp should fit in either frame with no issues.

...I just happen to have a NOS one if you are in the market.

Well GEE, why not drop a K321 14 hp Kohler into a Cub Cadet 70? I put one in my #72 years ago. But no way was I cutting up my frame to widen it. I borrowed some parts from the K301 in my 129 and made a small flywheel 341. The result is a K341 that gains rpm instantly, it's like plugging in a capacitor start electric motor, sad news is the big flywheel K301 was an absolute dog, it pulled fine, held rpm well, just wouldn't accelerate. There's a physics lesson in there somewhere. Even under load, a quick jab at the throttle lever results in an instant increase in rpm that brings a smile.
I had a K241 10 hp in that #72 for 20+ years and that was a nice little boost in performance, but if "More" is good, MUCH MUCH more is WAY BETTER.

Well, I went on and did it. I bought a 147 so I could have a motor for my 149. The 147 is kinda pitiful looking, but for $175 I don't think I did too bad.
I was not planning on any more projects, (other than what I already have) but I guess that idea went out the window! :roflol:

Got another question. Will the 147 narrow frame hydraulics work on the 149 wide frame?
If so, I may hold on to the 147 for spare parts.

Fix both up...

Hey Marty - got a suggestion for ya since you're not really keeping the 149 completely original.

The 14hp (K321) used in a 147 has that knurled dipstick on the side of the block that is not designed to be used as a fill tube. It has a funky fill tube stick on the top of the block. I never really understood why Kohler did this. I do know you can't change the top mount to a full length dip stick since the balance gears are in the way. My suggestion is to change the side mounted knurled dipstick assembly to the dipstick assembly used on the 1x8/9 series engines. That way you can check the oil level from the side, as well as fill your oil from the side. This also means you don't have to open the hood as often - so you save wear and tear on your 149 hood hinge (which is a somewhat weak item on the 1x8/9 series). While you're at it you could remove and plug the top mount fill stick hole if you're inclined or just leave it there. If you do all this only some of the Correct Police will be able to tell the difference. :drool2: (Don't know what Kraig did with the Correct Police icon).

Sorry I did not be specific on my question. I left out what part of the hydraulics I was referring to.
What I wanted to know was, is the hydraulic drive the same? The 147 does not have a hydraulic lift, it is electric. In other words, I am asking about the forward and reverse part. :errrr:

Jim,
The 147 is too far gone for me to fix up. Would cost a fortune. The only reason I am keeping the 149 is because it has the hydraulic lift. It is going to be a working tractor only.

Harry,
Only the first few series of cubs are worth keeping original. ;)
I noticed that stub of a dipstick down low on the motor. Kinda weird looking. (for me anyway) It does have a regular dipstick also, but not sure how deep it goes. I will probably take those balance gears out.

I do like the hydraulic lift. That's why I passed on a number of 682s before buying my 782.

... (Don't know what Kraig did with the Correct Police icon).

I didn't do anything with it, other than archive it. Not sure why it didn't get included with the other old gifs. Here it is, one can easily download it and upload it in their posts at will.

correct police.gif

Harry,
Transmission question.
Will the 147 hydro tranny parts work on the 149?

Marty - not really sure. The pump itself will be different, meaning the 149 will have a dual port pump which provides outlets for the hydro lift. The 147 pump won't. As far as the other parts, well if you really need to know I suggest you use the CCC parts list and compare one to the other.

OK, thanks. I was just wondering if I should keep the 147 for parts or not. I have read that some of the tubes are hard to get.

Latest posts

Back