• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

149 making rattle sound especially on shut down.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teroberts

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Tom Roberts
I have a 149 bought last fall. It seems to make a rattle noise especially on shutdown. I was told this could be motor mount bolts but I am at a loss.

Yeah, noticed that too. The noise though seems to continue after they stop shaking, that said they need to be dealt with. I am also going to take a closer look at the PTO.

After a mechanic worked on my 125,I had a continuous rattle.One of the three PTO bolts was loose.He apparently didn't do the internal double nuts correctly. Easy to diagnose,but have to remove,takes some time.Might be wise to have a new bolt,couple of nuts to jam together and the proper set up guage

It could be the drive line, pto, something under the seat, low air in the tires, hydro drive needs adjusting, ect ect...

You need to pull that air cleaner off and see just WTH is going on there.]The base appears to be loose as well.
Maybe the base is loose where it's screwed to the carb.
You sure as he!! don't want the screws to come out and get sucked into the engine.
You say this clown was a mechanic??

I have a 149 bought last fall. It seems to make a rattle noise especially on shutdown. I was told this could be motor mount bolts but I am at a loss.
View attachment 156663
Two things: The air filter housing appears not all the way on, the screw nut on my K241 filter (Cub 102) shows a lot more screw tread than yours. Remove housing , see the filter and while off, re-position the coil so the coil bracket is attached in two places rather than just one. I not seeing engine shake.
Lotsa luck, Jack

Ditto what Mike and Dave said on checking the harden steel pin and front coupler where the front end of the driveshaft goes into the flywheel. That harden steel pin often wears a notch into the front end of the fore/aft slot of the coupler and when you shut the engine down, the pin/drive shaft rotates side-to-side making a banging/knocking noise.

Also recommend replacing the rag joint common to the rear coupler of the drive shaft at the hydro pump as it gets brittle over time and can tear out under load.

Latest posts

Back