• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1450 vibrations

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wh cc guy

IHCC Supporter
I am thinking about installing Kirk crankshaft balance plate in the engine. It will involve a lot of work and several dollars. Has anyone here installed the kit and what was the results.

I put a Kirk's plate in my 16 Hp in the 1650. To me the engine is close to the same as when it had the balance gears; except now I have fewer failure points. I don't get "poorly balanced", there are limits for single cylinder engines and the large displacement models will be thumpers for sure except at rated RPM they will smooth out nicely. That probably lead to the twins taking over for the higher horsepower models and they're smooth at various RPMs. The main thing to reduce tractor/frame vibrations are the rubber isolation engine mounts. I went with OEM CC parts and that was money well spent.

Didn't cross that bridge. I used an engine shop that had a Bridgeport, nice 'an clean and easy. I would think with a mill you pick the spot; with a lathe you're kind of limited to what's proud on the cheek face.

I was hoping it could done on a lathe, That wound be a easy setup and easy to cut. It seems like a hard setup to hold while cutting it in a Bridgeport. Thanks for the reply.

I'm guessing that the interrupted cuts on a lathe are the problem? The crank being hard enough that when the tool bit wouldn't enter smoothly?

The reference to "poorly balanced" 16hp came from observations of others that the 16 hp may have pushed the design too far, with it working better on the 10,12 and 14 hp versions

The instructions had a scale drawing of the crankshaft. It clearly shows that cutting a mounting surface for the balance plate on the counter weight, the surface would be in the same plane and area of the crank throw if it were done on a lathe. That would make half of the crank throw thinner and weaker.

I agree the 16 Hp is huge. It's certainly more than the 44" mower needs or anything else I've done. The price and condition were right so I went for it.

After all the info I have received about kirk balance plate and how to install it plus information on not being able to balance it very good I guess I will just let her shake and forget about it. Thanks for the responses that you gave me.

Next up is a 149 that I have to rework. It is also 14 hp kohler. Will I have the same problems with it?

I don't see what the rotary table achieves that a lathe can't do. They are both working at 90 degrees. To get a rotary to work otherwise, it would have to be mounted on a sine plate.

There are machine shops that will balance your engine for you, if you send them the crank and piston/rod assembly. Pullers do this fairly routinely. If you are working on a Quietline, also be sure to make sure your isomounts are good. Isomounts won't do much to reduce actual vibration, but they will reduce perceived vibration.

My engine runs fine. the vibration is what I don't like. No balance gears but is .010 oversize. I understand Kohler pistons and also the piston pins were made lightweight for the 14 and 16hp engines to help with the vibrations. Mine being aftermarket makes them heavier so that makes it more out of balance.

Latest posts

Back