• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 1450 Drive line question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobdoss

I have been rebuilding a 1450 and almost done. The previous owner had left it a real mess. Anyway, I was wondering about the rear drive linage, I think I installed it backwards -see pix. Can someone help? Oh, what is the purpose of the steel ball in the housing?

THanks
Bob

Attachments

• KIMG0395.JPG
    KIMG0395.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Yes, you have the couplings bassackwards. The one you have on the driveshaft belongs on the transaxle, and vice versa. Also, you need spirol pins, not roll pins, and all metal locknuts (stover nuts) on the bolts. Lockwashers, nylock nuts, etc. will NOT work and you will wreck a lot of parts when it comes apart.

This info is in the service manual, too, which can be found in PDF form here: http://ccmanuals.info

The pic you posted is from a site that actually does have a fair amount of wrong/misleading information, and is owned by a registered sex offender. I wouldn't give his website any traffic...

Guys, you are twisting it into crazy.
I posted flex coupling photograph in attempt to help another person.
The rest are your own assertions.
Signing off.

This info is in the service manual, too, which can be found in PDF form here: http://ccmanuals.info

The pic you posted is from a site that actually does have a fair amount of wrong/misleading information, and is owned by a registered sex offender. I wouldn't give his website any traffic...
Yikes ! Is it a coincidence he has images of a coupling on his site ?

Ok I'm working on a 1450 and it's a total disaster from the previous owner the shaft and the rear coupler was bolted together and the disc's was totally shot. The coupler that is on the pump is VERY sloppy would it be possible to hook it up like the early hydros with a earlier style coupler and disc in the proper cross. Any idea's.

I've never seen a steel ball in a Hydro drive shaft coupling. The end of drive shaft s/b inserted into the swivel bushing c/t the rear coupling so everything lines up and the shaft alignment is maintained properly. I thought the Quietline models added a second rag joint at each coupling since the engine was on iso- mounts and moves around more than the rigid frame mount engines. Be sure to apply some lubricant to the swivel bushing and make sure it is not warn out in the coupling.

I've never seen a steel ball in a Hydro drive shaft coupling. The end of drive shaft s/b inserted into the swivel bushing c/t the rear coupling so everything lines up and the shaft alignment is maintained properly. I thought the Quietline models added a second rag joint at each coupling since the engine was on iso- mounts and moves around more than the rigid frame mount engines. Be sure to apply some lubricant to the swivel bushing and make sure it is not warn out in the coupling.
1689118572127.png

Right there, part #50

1689121742089.png

Serial number 622951 and below used a different shaft which used the ball an one disc at the rear. After 622951 a revised shaft was used and the ball was eliminated and 2 discs were used. I have one of each 1250 model.

This could explain why I cannot get the shaft on my 1450. The thickness of the front disc would make the difference. I do not know the purpose of the steel ball, but will check the s/n. If my s/n was the model that did not have a front disc, can a disc be installed or should it not?

Charlie/David/Doug, Thanks for the clarification on my coupling comment. I learned something new about QL's.

Neither shaft is available from Cub Cadet. The earlier shaft was discontinued long ago and to repair your older model you ordered the new shaft and 3 discs instead of 2 and eliminated the ball. At least that is what I can ascertain.

Latest posts

Back