• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Magnum engines

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PACub100

IHCC Supporter
What's the difference between the Magnum engines?
My brother just scored a Magnum 15 to replace a worn out 14 horse my uncle had installed in his 782 that my brother now has... We were told the engines are the same but different carbs determine the HP. I tend to think there's more to it but is it that simple to change his 15 to an 18?

Carbs are identical on all magnums as far as I’ve seen. May be it’s as simple as different jetting and governed settings?

Is it really a badging strategy by Cub Cadet as I’ve read on other sites? I’m confused as to why they would advertise a Cub with a 18hp engine in it as being 15hp. Just doesn’t seem like a good marketing strategy.

Ignition system is different. Coil and breaker points were eliminated and a solid state magneto or magnetically triggered 12V system was substituted. Both systems proved unreliable in service and finding replacement parts today is next to impossible. When first introduced, the Magnums still had the points mounting pad machined and a points cam was machined on the camshaft. These engines can be converted back to breaker point ignition. Later versions eliminated these features. If you ever need a replacement ignition system for the Magnum, try Overnight Solutions LLC - If I c . These are aftermarket replacements but seem to work well and reputation is good.

Carbs are identical on all magnums as far as I’ve seen. May be it’s as simple as different jetting and governed settings?

Is it really a badging strategy by Cub Cadet as I’ve read on other sites? I’m confused as to why they would advertise a Cub with a 18hp engine in it as being 15hp. Just doesn’t seem like a good marketing strategy.
The specified carb for a 1990 1535 is KH-52-853-23
The specified carb for a same year 1861 is also KH-52-853-23.

The only way to tell is check the number on the carburetor and go from there.
There are many different numbers for them. there are more, go here.
https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58326
52 853 30-S walbro
52 853 33-S walbro
52 853 23-S walbro
52 853 24-S walbro
52 053 66-S walbro
52 053 50-S walbro
52 053 09-s kohler
52 053 18-s kohler
52 053 28-s kohler

Last edited:

Latest posts