Youtube Cubs "ONLY"

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken: Enjoyed the links.

How about this guy:

http://youtu.be/tW4SdgD10jo

appears to be a good instance of "the world's most destructive force" in action.
smile.gif

I think of the stupid stuff I used to do with the 100 & 127 and it scares me. If that kids wouldn't clutch it so fast and let 'er grind it out a bit he would have made it the second shot.

Tom, yea I think your right. Dad used to let me chain a pallet behind the 122 we had at the time. I'd load stuff on the pallet till she couldn't pull it. Then I'd practice sliding my but around on the seat to get it moving. It was great fun. The only thing he ever got mad about was when the throttle broke and I figured I wouldnt bother dad over this one. I hooked a wire between where the throttle hooks up and a battery hold down rod, made a handy loop. Dad was not so impressed when he found out. As I recall. it may have been the first time I herd the term "know just enough to be dangerous"

Ken:
I don't see any cooling on those Ford powered Cubs.. I'd guess a cement filled block and 4-5 minutes max running time. Dennis - any comments?

Gerry - Alky runs cool. I doubt if that 351 got up to normal operating temp.

GERRY - Ken's correct, if he's burning ethanol, it has about 2/3rds the heat energy as gasoline, so you have to burn quite a bit more ethanol, which the latent heat of vaporization cools the engine a lot better, and the combustion temps are lower.

Ethanol & Methanol are great engine fuels, relatively high octane, alcohol engines like LOTS of compression, and spark advance, and the cool burning makes them relatively easy on parts. I'd like to build up a Kohler to run on ehtanol, even E85. Alcohol does have some issues as a fuel, it absorbs moisture out of the air, it's hydroscopic, and it tends to dilute engine oil, but on a good hard pull the pretty blue flame out the exhaust more than makes up for those issues. Couple places close to home sell 100% Ethanol motor fuel.

SON has a co-worker who just put his '70 Nova back on the street, it's kinda a "Pro-Street" car, 600+ CID BBC running E85 making just a little over 1000 HP. My little Kohler would be along those lines, just not as big, probably a K241. Only problam with the Kohler is it's really hard to build compression in a flat head engine.

Dennis - Bolt a 3" thick billet on as the head , put in 13:1 forged high domes ... the piston will make it's own chamber
clappy.gif

A billet slab and a CNC mill or even a tracer mill would be nice to have gathering dust out in the shop. I was wondering years ago why nobody has offered dome chamber heads.

If you can get past all the BS, read about Somender Singh's ideas about "squish grooves" here.
I did it on the Cushman engine I rebuilt - sweetest running one I've ever seen.. I took about .030 off the head, put the grooves in leading from the squish area towards the plug (over the piston), ported and polished and used a Mikuni carb on it. Started easier, ran better, pulled from down lower in RPM range.. I used a die grinder with a cutoff wheel to form the three v shaped grooves..

His home page qualifies as "worst website ever" or possibly "nutcases I have read about", but get beyond it and read some of the other stuff.......that's why I bypassed the main page in the link I gave ya..

Gerry-

Have you ever done this or heard of it being done to a single cylinder Kohler? It's kinda hard to understand how something so small can do so much good for an engine. When they explained in that article about using two sheets of plywood it made a little more sense and easier to understand.

So somebody was cutting a sheet of plywood and didn't have saw horses to lay it on. In the need to keep the sheet off the floor thus ruining the saw blade they laid it over the only thing handy ... an engine head. Being a novice they didn't look before they cut and accidentally cut into the head , leaving a nice but terrifying groove in the combustion chamber. Being a poor slob with no means of replacing the head they filled the groove with JB<font size="-2">can't</font>Weld and put the head back on their Mazaratti. Noticing a performance boost they thought how lucky they were and upon the next rebuild they noticed the JB<font size="-2">can't</font>Weld was gone BUT the ugly groove was still there. Well this got poor slob Joe to thinking ...

History was made.

... or something like that
biggrin.gif

Gerry - If you look and I'm sure you did at the Briggs Dyno test the stock vs single groove (3 groove different head) shows that the stock head exceeded the single groove in performance.

The "'95 Chevy 4x4 Dyno Test" is BULL from the get go.

He decked the heads , roughed up the intake runners , used thinner head gaskets , upped the compression in doing this and in the 70's Hot Rod did an article on a guy that epoxied screen wire over the runner inlets to help break up the A/F mix.

So all he did was "normal" hot rodding old school , then claims the grooves helped. Bull !

KENtuckyKEN

I have a hard time believing that a grove cut into a flat head would improve combustion.You would have less compression for one thing. I would think timing and octane are the most important. stroke length would improve combustion and more power .
228172.gif
228173.gif

Stroke length always helped me ...

Like my last post observations ... might be why auto makers laughed at the idea.

Well, all I can say is that the Cushman, which get bit**y to start after you raise the compression, was the easiest starting one ever (maybe it was just my genius in tuning them). The grooves did not lower the compression as much as the head mill raised it. I have talked to someone who did it on a Briggs and they thought the same thing.. Keep in mind that dyno results are not the whole story... and if I tear the 149 down, I WILL do it to that one also..

Gerry Ide

I agree tuning is everything ! this week setting up my 1500 Nomad I used a color tune plug and found I was way to rich .I have all new jets comming so I can get this running the way it should. Cubs did teach me something about tuneing . My 10 107 and 12 hp loader 129 works awsome. The 147 not so much as I can`t get it to idle as I like. So I installed a new 30 carb and now its better. I find my cubs sit so long not running that I have to clean the Carb everytime I want them to (work) like they should.I have a 107 and the 129 loader to thank for a bench mark to aim for for all my Cubs. Thanks to Kraig and a few more on here I have a good working fleet to use.
worthy.gif

I've seen that website, too, and will remain skeptical until I try it for myself. There is so much crap on that guys website that doesn't really help make it believable. That and most of the dyno tests are like Ken mentioned, 25 other mods done at the same time, and the grooves get all the credit. Very little, if any, scientific and unbiased info on that site.

I may try it someday on one of my M18s...I've got a pile of spare heads collecting dust.

Latest posts

Back