• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Creeper Gear for a Cub 100 Help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry Payne

I have a Cub 100, I want to put a creeper gear in. I have all the parts to one, but the housing teeth where the planetary gears ride are chipped. Need good housing.
Thanks Gerry

Remember, there are more sponsors than what is posted on a single page. When you go to another page, more sponsors should come up.
Also, keep looking on greedbay. You may find one on there eventually.

Hey Gerry. Please post a photo of the gear. I'm doing the same project and always like to see if my old parts are worn to the point of replacement. How chipped is yours and what does the other gear look like? I simply assume it would be chipped as well? I bought my creeper replacement parts from ccspecialties.com

I purchased what was thought to be a good complete creeper. Before I installed it I realized that the planetary gears were missing. I purchased some off of EBay, and bought every other part I thought I would need to make it a complete nice gear. When I took it apart I found the planetary gear teeth in the housing were all chipped up, making the housing unusable. The photo shows just some of the damaged teeth. Now I’m trying to find a good housing. Good luck with yours.
FB114372-0AB4-4047-AD7E-438E205DEAC8.jpeg

How many are chipped and are they worse than those? While not ideal I think those would run if cleaned up good. Also with time and patience those could be built up and massaged back down to save the part. I wouldn't toss it even if I found another good one, which I'm guessing finding just that part alone will be difficult.

I purchased what was thought to be a good complete creeper. Before I installed it I realized that the planetary gears were missing. I purchased some off of EBay, and bought every other part I thought I would need to make it a complete nice gear. When I took it apart I found the planetary gear teeth in the housing were all chipped up, making the housing unusable. The photo shows just some of the damaged teeth. Now I’m trying to find a good housing. Good luck with yours.View attachment 154897
Yes, there are a lot more teeth chipped like those, all the way around. There are several reasons why I wouldn’t try to repair those teeth. 1. There hard to get to, 2. They are made of cast iron 3. Cast iron is very difficult to weld and work in the best of conditions. I’m 70 years old and I’ve been welding and machining most of my life. It could probably be dune, but it wouldn’t be worth the time, and each tooth would need to be prefect.

It would be very time consuming and labor intensive. But definitely doable.
Have you ever dune any welding on cast iron.? Have you ever operated a mill? Have you ever done any kind of machining? If you have, your should know what your suggesting is almost impossible. I would be much smarter just to buy a complete, working creeper gear.

Yes, I have done all of the above. I've also welded up cast gears and ground them back down with a 4-inch angle grinder and a file. Time consuming but it worked. And it is still on the machine. I was merely suggesting that if the parts were a scarce as they sounded like and you wanted it bad enough, it was an option. Yes, it is very time consuming, but an option.

Pre and post heat as well as well as stress reliving with a needle gun descaler or a lot of sharp wraps with a chipping hammer are needed. As far as needing to be perfect.....

I did a 4 year 8000 or more hour apprenticeship for mill wright/machine repair work. There were some pretty sharp guys that proved to me over and over that if a person had the proper knowledge, tools, and time, almost anything could be repaired or reproduced.

Is it worth a person's time? Well, that will vary case by case. As you say maybe this one is to the point of no return. I was just going by the 2 teeth in the pic.

I like messing with trying to repair stuff like that. And as a buddy once said , when you have more time than money you do all kinds of things to make things work.

In any case it's too bad the part wasn't what you were hoping it was. I wish you luck in finding another part.

It sounds like you have a lot of experience and knowledge. I’m glad to hear about your life’s experience. But I don’t have the time to waste on a part I can purchase for $60.00. And unlike you I don’t like wasting time going through all the steps and expense when it’s not necessary.

Seems to me that with no luck (as stated above) with our sponsors or eBay for the part you want and you don’t want to try and repair it you might be out of luck on your creeper. Guess you better buy a longer driveshaft.

Seems to me that with no luck (as stated above) with our sponsors or eBay for the part you want and you don’t want to try and repair it you might be out of luck on your creeper. Guess you better buy a longer driveshaft.
I found a good housing on Ebay and got it ordered. With a good housing and all the other parts I have, I should have a nice creeper. My tractor never had one, so I will be cutting the driveshaft.

Alternatively, the cast in gear could be machined out and a new steel gear pressed in.

Latest posts

Back