• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

WWII Farmall H

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More great work Brian.

That polished stainless really sets it off, can't wait to see it in the final top coat.

Thank you Earl and Mike.

I hear you Mike but I'm a little concerned about the paint. I know less about paint then I do tractor restoration and I don't know much about that. LOL! I purposely let my daughter shoot some primer so there would be a few runs here and there because you know what? They came that way when they were new. She got the job done!
biggrin.gif

Brian, as I am sure you know, the painting part isn't really hard. The hard work is all in the preparation. And if you are going to try and mimic the oem, then all you would need is some enamel and some time.

You'll do fine!

I hear ya Mike. The tractors with automotive paint look sweet but I really don't have that talent or budget. This one is going to be CaseIH Iron Guard right at the moment. Maybe I'll go all out and buy a new hvlp gun from harbor freight...My current gun is about dead from all the primer that I've run through it and the pattern doesn't even adjust correctly anymore.
err.gif
Oh well, much to do and no time to get there. It will look better that it did sitting in the fence row any ways and with a lot of really old obsolete parts on it!
biggrin.gif

A friend likes his he bought (purple one) from harbor freight, and he ran Rust-Oleum enamel through it. Decent finish. I'd get one if I ever did something bigger than a GT.

Looking super nice Brian!
I love to see anyone doing a restoration to any tractor!

Just in case the correct police want to scold me for using the term restore, I looked it up in the dictionary.

It read as follows:
"To bring back into existence or use."
greenthumb.gif

Thank you for the kind words fellas.

Here are a few more to look at. Pulled parts off of the parts tractor the other day, which I have been dreading. Starting to get them around to see what I have, which in my case, is more work.
biggrin.gif
Hood has some cracks in it so looks like some welding will be in order. The fenders had some edges rolled over so to the anvil we go.

322424.jpg

322425.jpg

322426.jpg

Oooo, fenders. I spent many an hour when I was in my teens riding on one or the other of my cousin's two Hs standing partly on the axle housing and platform and leaning on the fender while holding onto the headlight mount. Their 656 was much more comfortable to ride on as you could sit ON the fender.
happy.gif

Saving the strange for last.

Where does a guy find a freeze plug for the back of a belt pulley attachment. The hole in the casting measures 1.160" on the dot. That is no where near a standard freeze plug size. It's looking like I will have to have it made at this point. The CaseIH dealer was even stumped by this one and they have nearly everything obscure for my tractor. Chime in if you have any ideas, otherwise it looks like one will be turned out on the lathe.

322486.jpg

322487.jpg

Brian,

Nice work!!

Kraig,

Spent a bunch of time on a Super M riding the same way...fender, platform, and hold onto the light bracket!!! Good times with dad and grandpa!

And....656 flat top was a lot nicer!

Brian, look up the Dorman company, they have every size imaginable. They were carried by many auto part stores, but I don't know if the big box auto stores carry them.

Thank you Steve and Mike!

Mike- Thank you for the suggestion. I have been in there catalog and they do not have that size unfortunately. Even crossed the metric equivalent to see if that would be close. No dice.

Brian- Clean out the hole really good and check again. I went and looked at a spare I have out in the shed and the cup is sticking out of the casting a little bit and measures 1.185. From your picture I think you have a layer of rust on the ID of the hole throwing your measurement off.

Latest posts

Back