• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

WWII Farmall H

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few shots from our little venture outdoors.

322652.jpg

Stupid gauge!

322653.jpg

322654.jpg

Brian,
You are doing a fantastic job!
thumbsup.gif

I have a question though.
Is the paint in primer or is that the finished color?
1a_scratchhead.gif
It just looks like it's primer to me and I don't know why anyone would put the tractor back together without finish painting. You know with the chance of grease and oil getting on the primer.
Oh wait, maybe I just realized something. Are tractors painted after assembly?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Looks great!
I think it's just the conditions or camera. I did see a local guy repaint a B with flat paint. He didn't like glossy

Earl- Thank you!

Shultzie-

I'm not most people.
rofl.gif
Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

The tractor is in CNH buff red primer right at the moment. You are correct, it's happening out of order for certain. The tractor was a big huge question mark as it had sat outside in the weather for 50 years or so, the motor was purchased as 'running but smoking' kind of deal. The motor was machined in the fall and built on through late winter in an unheated barn so no painting there. Didn't have the motor on an engine stand so there was no chance to paint. It was actually built on a short set of saw horsed if you can believe it. The frame was power washed and cleaned before it was brought into the barn to be split so it got primed before the motor was ever changed. After I get all the leaks corked to my satisfaction I will clean the block one last time and get some primer on it. Paint won't be happening this year as the weather is starting to decay along with my budget for the year so like a lot of things, it waits. Oh well, got to drive it and run the bush hog with it and that's pretty good considering where it came from. Thanks for asking. It does look pretty strange.

Here are a few pics from today. 8' Woods brush mower and it stalled the belts but not the tractor! Pretty decent I thought.

Last picture is 'another headache' to deal with. Have to pull the valve cover back off as I suspect that the nuts for the head have backed off. I ran the motor and torqued to spec after running through a good long heating cycle so I'm wondering if I'll have to loc tite them on? We'll be doing some investigating on that one.

Oh, and my rebuilt mag is chattering like a dang tree squirrel. Grrrrr. Already had to send the starter back last week for a bendix not fully returning.

322680.jpg

322681.jpg

Brian-

You're doing a great job and it seems to run like a top in the video. Keep up the good work...it'll get done.

Kraig-

Yes, getting the sheet metal to fit up properly as the only part original is the large fuel tank. The original hood and grill are really rough. They probably could be saved but I would need a tig welder, 50 lbs of rod and 30 flap disks to get it done.
biggrin.gif

Brian B. Your H is looking fantastic. I will never see my Dad's FARMALL H put back together. I am moving into an apartment soon and my youngest brother can't be contacted since he originally wanted to restore it. If I can't find someone willing to take it and refurbish it soon then it will be going to scrap. If I recall serial number correct it is the sixth from being the last 1945 FARMALL H made before the 1946 models were produced. My parents bought it in 1946 and always thought it was a 1946. IF (mighty big word).... I could find someone that would promise to not part it or scrap but return it to a running tractor then I would give it to them. Only thing is ... I would want to drive it when it was finished.

Marlin, so glad to hear from you! Your going to make me drive out there again aren't you! I wish is all I can say. I love H's better than the others in the series, not really sure why, but I do.

Earl F. All I can say is .... if you really want my Dad's H then let me know ASAP. It will be yours. I don't have a whole lot of time until upcoming surgery. My son has even told me to put up a couple of Cub Cadets for sale. I have to be in an apartment soon.

I wish I could Marlin. I'm really sorry I can't. I hope your surgery goes well.

Marlin, good to see you post!
wave.gif
Hope your surgery goes well. Sorry to see you have to sell your Cub Cadets.

Back