• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Why won't my tractor run??????

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I parked my tractor last fall and am trying to drive it again. It ran pretty well when I parked it. Now it won't start at all. I have tested the spark and that is good. I have disconnected the gas and tried spraying starting fluid in it. It keeps flooding right away. I am pulling my hair out about this. any recommendations???

Ben,it's a reasonable guess the carb needs serious attention...So have you tried starting with carb drained and fuel line unhooked.(no fuel ,no flood) if everything else is ok it should start on carb cleaner for 15 to 30 seconds...The odds are very good you now have water in your fuel from sitting so long ....drain,clean and freshen fuel system...

Guys, if you re-read Benjamin's original post, he states that he has disconnected the gas, I assume from the carburetor. If this is truly the case, then I fail to see how the carb could be flooding.
Ben, have you removed the gas line from the carb completely or did you just close the valve? The valve can wear over time, which would then still allow gas to flow albeit in much smaller quantities.

Does the engine try at all with a tiny spritz of Starter Fluid down the Carb? That would, at least, show that it is a fuel issue.
Carb: ate you sure the Float and Needle valve are working to shut the flow of fuel? Needle valve can get gummed up and not move.

Ben, if you left bottom of carb off while trying to start it will suck air,that's where it normally gets fuel from...empty carb,block fuel line or unhook, spray "carb. cleaner" in carb with choke open,close choke ,crank,it should fire ...which proves it's carb related..based on your other comments

I have had my engine not start in the spring also. a squirt of carb/choke cleaner and it fired right up and I didn't have any other problems.

Guys, if you re-read Benjamin's original post, he states that he has disconnected the gas, I assume from the carburetor. If this is truly the case, then I fail to see how the carb could be flooding.
Ben, have you removed the gas line from the carb completely or did you just close the valve? The valve can wear over time, which would then still allow gas to flow albeit in much smaller quantities.
And if you reread his post he says it starts running good then dies as it’s running out

If it starts runs then dies, that is a huge clue towards fuel flow issues, and the in-tank filter ( if fitted) or the feed from the tank being a restriction, best to take the tank off, blow out the fuel lines to the carb. Blow back the tank outlet and reflush the tank with fresh petrol.

I had to do, as above, on one that get used infrequently, the fuel in the carb bowl was like jelly, the needle and seat needed a good polish with very fine waterpaper rolled into a thin "cigarette" and spin in the seat holder, its seat and inlet then blown out completely with a good blast of compressed air, the fuel line blown backwards and forwards, the glass bowl feed blown through from both sides and the (possibly not originally standard) small stainless steel ultra fine mesh between tank and glass bowl receiver.
Tank flushed, then the outlet blown out, (cloth over the normal fuel filling inlet and a good gulp of breath blowing that way, then compressed air the other way through the small outlet followed by a further tank flush.
This may sound like I'm beating an issue to death, but I captured all the old fuel in a clear plastic 2 ltr cooldrink bottle and left it overnight to settle out... ouch! .....will use the old fuel for cleaning stuff.
What a difference free flowing, and plentiful, fuel makes, love the smell of clean fuel in the morning ! then reset carb setting for smooth idle and medium revs running
A freshly cleaned and polished plug also plays a stunning role too.

[if it were running, but flooding, great clouds of dark fumes, coughing, belching, smoky run would be indicated plus fuel dripping from air filter are symptoms]

The engine needs spark, fuel, and compression to run. The spark also has to be at the right time. Assuming that if it was running before and it has spark, you haven't done anything to affect the timing, so that leaves fuel and compression.

Is the gas good, or is it old gas that has been sitting in the tank over winter? If it sat, it is possible one of the valves may be stuck open. This can be verified by removing the rectangular cover below the carb and seeing if the valves are opening and closing as the engine is spun over.

Ben,you started out saying it would flood immediately,you didn't say it was running but you did say you unhooked fuel and it still flooded.You said you checked and had spark,didn't say how...If stock it's a 10 hp kohler..I guess we don't know what you mean by flooded and can it flood if there is no fuel??? We have covered about everything as Matt said fuel,spark,comp.

Latest posts

Back