• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

"Why are there two forums?" or "Do we (as collectors) really need two forums?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
I've thought about this for a long time and it seems that others have too. So I thought I would pose the question and see if there was a real answer to it.

If you don't want to post your response, feel free to email it to me direct and it will not be posted to any public forum.
I would really like to know!

Seriously, what other forum???
stupid.gif

We have two forums because there are some out there that can dish it, but can't take it! I see that several of you belong to both forums. I refuse to belong to the other forum for a variety of reasons. (The 1st, 2nd, 3rd crap drives me nuts.) As a matter of fact, some of my own art work showed up across the street the other day. Now when that individual asked permission to use my art (which I did give permission), he didn't tell me he was going to post it there. I am not sure if I would have allowed it know this information. I think division is something every group deals with, you just have to live with it. I can tell you one thing though. When people email me about my cubsite for more information, I always send them here, not across the street.

I have NOT always agreed with the supreme management of this site, and if you have been around for a long time, I am sure you remember. With that said, I still remain loyal to this site and to this site only, the true IH Cub Cadet forum.

JL,
Ya know your always welcome on the Yahooie side of the tracks.
whistling.gif

Oh that was a low blow wasn't it!!!!!!!!!
devil2.gif

What is wrong with having two sites??? If it were all one it would be a huge confusing forum piled with questions. If you don't check on an hourly basis (to new posts) it gets overwhelming trying to keep up. Instead of being upset on having two forums we need to work together. Both sites help tons of people and are awsome.

I'm like Jonathan..... I thought the "Other CC forum" was dead.....When You say "Other Forum" I thought You meant the one about green tractors.... Those poor misguided souls.....

Tyler T,
Who said anything about anyone being upset?
DO NOT put words in my mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked a simple question, nothing more, nothing less!

The over posting in volume can be dealt with by using a different type of forum package. I'm in an online gaming group and we found that when we merged 4 groups (clans) phpBB was the solution.

Read: 172 members, over 22,000 posts archived in 2 years.

Going threaded is the best way, rather than all piled up in one area. Bryan - does Discuss support threading?

In the case of the group here, single thread works (though it's a bit harder to search through).

---
Now back on topic...

I like it here, though I do read across the street and ocasionally post over there (Don't shoot me guys!!!).

But here, most of you guys seems to be closer to me in physical location.

I'll have to think more on the need for two groups... Seems to me it'd be better if the collective minds worked together.

(Message edited by rmunday on March 10, 2005)

Sorry Digger, I just took it different than what was meant.
worthy.gif

I'll have to agree with Rick M. on this..It seems to make sense because of geographical locality...
I do enjoy reading both forums to get a different perspective and see what others are working on that don't post over here...But their functions
are'nt as close to me as the ones posted here...
I would like to attend one of there events, but I
might feel like I'm cheatin on Steve B and Travis
bottom.gif

If we were all the same it would be really boring
dunno.gif

Rick, Don't look now but you posted on an thread that was not the main one.

Charlie, it sounds like different strokes for different strokes. There are differences in tone and style so people can go where they feel the most comfortable. Each forum evolves slowly but there are differences that make people gravitate one way or the other, "1st" for example. This forum seems to provide more technical help while the other one seems to have more pictures and seems to have more fake hillbilly-ness (IMHO).

Besides, if you merged them how would you resolve which in-group would be top dog?

I realize the sandbox is, but most of the others aren't.

If all the sub forums were threaded it would address some of the issues, and certainly make it easier for people to keep track of what their interested in.

I'm not bitching, just adding to the conversation something that I hope will be found useful.

I also agree with Rick M. I read both forums each day. I contribute when I can... but i'm usually the guy asking the questions and not answering that many. I actually never knew of this forum until after I found that one first.

I see many folks on both forums and see nothing wrong with that.

I think both forums have very technical people that can accurately answer your question in great detail... But I will say something else. Not to offend either forum or give points to one or the other. I often time get a better answer to a question when I email a person(s) directly and ask... Instead of posting it and waiting. There are so many folks out there who really go out of their way to try to help others. not naming names but these guys are great and without them I think many questions would go unanswered. Alot of times I will get an email to answer a question that I do post instead of posting the response... which is also fine with me even though it defeats the purpose a bit.

The "other" forum seems rather laid back most times whereas this one is quite " to the letter" so to speak. Which is fine... although may appear somewhat harsh to new members at times.

So to answer the question. Maybe I participate more on the Other forum because geographically their Events are usually alot closer to me (from SW PA)

DO we need Two? I don't know. Probably not but it doesn't matter to me. I enjoy visiting both sites each day.

I have met great people from both... I have met people i'd rather forget from both... I haven't always agreed with EITHER "management" team... But i'll keep coming back for more until someone tells me I gotta choose one or the other...

Thanks for all the help from everyone out there!

Rick M. -

Personally, I'd rather use vBulletin than any of the others, but I don't see anyone stepping up to the plate to provide the bucks required. But then again, that raises the issue of whether a donor would want editorial control, which Bob and I aren't about to give to ANYONE. So we plod along with our own budget.

Thus we stick with something somewhat low-ball ($150 fits us nicely), but better than free because we have REAL LIVE SUPPORT.

And let's not forget, running a relatively unknown package tends to leave us off of the hackers' radar. Just look at recent events in the phpBB world.

The "forum previously known as Open" has been a "laundry list" from day one. And I believe it's gonna stay that way for the forseeable future.

I'm pretty sure the other half of the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">Democracy of Two&#153;</FONT> feels the same way.

As far as across the street, I have an account, I've never used it, and I hardly look anymore because I have my hands full here. Lord knows I'm personna non grata there anyway.
wink.gif

"And let's not forget, running a relatively unknown package tends to leave us off of the hackers' radar. Just look at recent events in the phpBB world."

Oh man, aint that the truth! We're running sentinel scripts on two of the servers and they both got hit.

I agree on vBulletin, it's a smooth package.
--

I've been impressed with both forums (sites) as to technical knowledge...

I'm not a very mechanical person (MS in Computer Science) and you guys always manage to get things down to the gritty nitty so anyone can understand it.

Rick M. -

My dream? To run this forum under vBulletin on a dual processor Sun V20z with Solaris 10 and MySQL.

Thus, I keep buying Lotto and MegaMillions tickets
lol.gif

My only gripe thus far is that we're running on a Windoze platform, which REALLY limits my ability to tweak stuff. I'd run it off my own server, but since my area only supports ADSL (and cable is notoriously anti-server) I just don't have the bandwidth to support us.

Wanna check out a HUGE base of relatively well behaved folks on vBulletin? www.howardforums.com

drool.gif
Currently Active Users: 3830
drool.gif

Our record for most ever was 1138!

Oh man, who wouldn't dream of a big ole Sun, v or e series pumping their website with life?!?
happy.gif
I ran my web server on a sparc 20 for a few years.

Here's my 2cent's(comming from a greenhorn-no i don't own a JD, allthough my father has nothing but JD's, theres nothing wrong with JD's) I've been lurking here since before the great crash, i dont contribute cause i don't have the experience to add something worthwhile, i've asked a few questions and got a few answers, i own several cub's but only have one that run's!(i know, bla bla bla) like Tyler said, it can be overwhelming if you don't keep up with new post's on here, letalone two sites, but it's fun trying! and both sites help tons of people. why are there two fourms? don't know! but i like it. It's great to have other people's idea's, it's been said before, there's a wealth of knoledge here, as well as across the street. Do we really need two fourms? why not! everybody has an opinion, some people get along, others don't, you post here, i post there, it's freedom!! (did I actually give an answer to the question? or just ramble)

Interesting question, that never crossed my mind.
proud.gif

Here are my thoughts.....

This site has quality, that site has quantity.
I like sticking to the topic. I don't like the rambling posts. I have found myself skimming over the posts across the street. There are too many to read and most don't peak my interest. This has good advice and helpful people. However, I think the negative tone drives people away. Way too much RTFM, not so much over the last couple of weeks, and too much copyright law babble. If you are not the owner of the copyright or the violator of the copyright then pointing out the violation makes sound like an crabby parent. Don't do this and don't do that.

I double posted a few times. Not any more. I am torn between where to post. I usually don't ask questions and when I do I already know one answer and I'm fishing for others. I have noticed posting here gets a response. Posting there doesn't always. I think the volume of posts dilute the value or importance of one post.

For what its worth, Charlie, your willingness and eagerness to help people is what has keep me here so long.
worthy.gif

I'm gonna agree with Terry a bit. I try to post as if I were speaking to someone in person. I wouldn't tell Reverend Brown to RTFM or anyone else. I have no problem with reading the manual, letting someone know that owning the manual is a good thing, its just some of us don't like to curse or be cursed at. Aside from all that I enjoy the pictures, stories, trials and tribulations you guys post here. Keep on Cubin!

Latest posts

Back