• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Wearing of the transmission stub shaft

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsarow

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Dean W.Sarow
I have a Cub 1512.The stub shaft out of the transmission hole gets egg shape wear to it.Whats the cause,how to prevent it,and whats the remedy?Is it because it is diesel powered?

I’ll take a stab at this but hopefully someone that’s familiar to these machines will chime in. Is it the shaft that attaches to the drive shaft off the hydro? I think a worn drive shaft or maybe some of its components would cause runout and wear on the stub shaft. Or the spring pin sheared off and wore on the stub. My guess would be replacement or find someone to turn down damaged area and press a sleeve on to fit into worn driveshaft hole. Pictures might help

Still trying to figure out what part At first sounded like the shaft from the transmission with the hole for the spiral pin. Or the hole in the adapter that slides on the shaft to connect the drive shaft. Photo would help. Does it have a disconnect clutch on the drive shaft? are the fan blades all in good shape? The bolts all tight and the drive shaft couplers in good shape?

He's talking about the transmission input shaft.

This is not uncommon and is caused by worn driveshaft couplers, worn spirol pin at the rear coupler, and/or the use of anything other than a spirol pin in the coupling. The diesels in particular are pretty hard on driveline components.

To prevent it, don't let the driveshaft get worn out. In theory, the hole could be welded up and re-drilled, but this would destroy the heat treatment on that end of the shaft. The easiest solution would be to replace the input shaft with a good used one. The better solution would be to replace the input shaft or the whole hydro unit with one from one of the later "cyclops" tractors that has a splined input shaft, and then use a cut-down CV joint drivshaft from the same series, or a 2000/3000 series driveshaft. Both of those driveshafts are a better design than what originally came on a 1512 and should last longer.

I looked for the splined hydro unit that has the bolt in the end of the shaft. No luck A lot with high prices so just went with what I had

Back