• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Things that Kill my Cub time.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I'm sure others have been through this scenario. I'm turning 65 next month and today I went to a S.S.H.I.P.S. representative because I keep getting told that even though I will still keep working I need to sign up for Medicare. The representative told me that since I don't plan on retiring until age 66 that I don't have to sign up for Medicare until 3 1/2 months before I turn 66. Okay.... now I know that I can still keep working after I turn 66 and receive Social Security without penalty. I'm confused on this having to sign up for Medicare at 65 and then being told that I don't have to worry until I retire at 66.

Do I have to absolutely sign up for Medicare at 65 or ...????? I surely don't want to risk being penalized. Thank You to all replies.

People with group health policies through their employer generally do not have to sign up for Medicare when they turn 65. They, or you in this case, can keep your employer coverage until you retire. You will then have eight months within which to sign up for Medicare without facing any penalties for late enrollment.

CLICK HERE

Under Edit,
I also just read that you DO NOT have to sign up for Medicare Part B.
You can refuse the coverage and that will put more money in your pocket, BUT, results may vary! LOL

Marlin this is a good time to go to socialsecurity.gov and create a sign in account. There is about 1000 questions and answers to read. Deinitely worth your time.

Charlie & Luther.... Thank You both for the information. Lots of reading to do.

Been meaning to post this for awhile... Meet Roy!

308178.jpg

For the past 4 years, I've been searching for a 4X4 <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> pick up truck. Problem is, in this part of the country they are either very rusty, or very expensive, or BOTH.

This spring I finally gave in and widened the search to other brands and 2WD or 4X4 trucks. It wasn't an obsession, just a casual search for the "right" truck. Finally a truck popped up on Craigslist late one Saturday night in May. A 1970 Chevy C-10 pickup. 350 V-8, and 4-speed manual transmission. The pics in the ad didn't look too rusty, and the price was decent so I emailed the seller and went to bed.

The next morning an email showed up from the owner and we agreed to meet at 9am. It was an easy meeting as the owner live a mile-and-a-half away! When I pulled in the driveway, an older gent (Roy) stood up from his weed pulling duties. We chatted for awhile about the truck, then I took it for a test drive. It ran like CRAP! After looking the truck over, it didn't have much rust (for these parts anyway) so I asked the guy how long he owned it. He looked up at me and said, "Oh, I've owned her since she was new. We used it on the farm in North Dakota until we moved here in the early 90's. I've driven it from time to time, but it just usually sits back there in the pine trees. Its time for someone else to enjoy it." We agreed on a price, then went into his house to sign over the title. His wife was baking cookies. While signing the title they reminisced about the truck from "back in the day". His wife even asked, "Are you ready to sell your old truck buddy?" He again said yes, and that it was someone else's turn to enjoy it. I felt bad as I pulled out of the driveway that day as the old man watched me leave with "his" truck.

The 1.5 mile drive was a true adventure. The truck barely ran, you'd have to keep on the gas pedal so it wouldn't die, and the brakes were NON EXISTENT the minute I left his driveway. You'd hit them once, and the pedal would go all the way to the floor, then double pump them again, and at the very bottom of the pedal travel, the right front wheel would lock up. Little did I know, NONE of the lights on the truck worked either. Thankfully it was only a mile and a half.

Over the course of the summer I slowly got her going. First step was to completely tear out the interior as it stunk like mice. After removing that and hosing out the interior with hot soapy bleach water, it was time to redo the drum brakes on all 4 wheels. Next step was to remove and drain the fuel tank from behind the driver's seat. After that it badly needed a carb rebuild. Then it got a new Heart-Throb exhaust including new cast iron manifolds, and finally a new rear light harness and some quick soldering on the front wires and we have lights!

Here is was the day in late July when I was finally able to take it for a test drive.

308179.jpg

308180.jpg

As you can see, she wasn't pretty, but it ran.

The next step was to clean it up. When I brought it home, the truck was covered in pine needles and mold. After washing the entire truck with hot soapy water, it then got an acid bath. (More on that later) then a buff out and a wax.

Here it is after that while visiting a friend. (I haven't cleaned up the bumpers yet)

308181.jpg

If you need to clean up anything that has rust, but still has old (patina) paint, I'd highly recommend this stuff. I buy it at Menards.

308182.jpg

It doesn't work fast, but it takes all of the rust off, and leaves the paint. After that you either just wax or clear coat it.

Here is a "before" shot of one of the hubcaps. Under all of that rust was plenty of original white paint, so after the acid wash, they got some rattle can clear coat.

308183.jpg

Here are some "poser shots" as it sits today where you can see the shiny 46year old paint and the non rusty wheels. It still needs a LOT of work, but it's coming along. That hubcap in the pic above is the same one that's on the back wheel in this shot.

308184.jpg

308185.jpg

(For some reason the passenger side parking light quit working the day these pics were taken)

Thanks for listening!

Art: Great story! Good work on a classic piece of Detroit steel. I spent a good bit of time on a 1973 C/10: all my sons learned to drive the "3-on-a-three" straight six with manual steering but power disk brakes (up front). They still tell stories about looking at the ground through the floor boards, getting stalled in traffic at major intersections (in the rain), stuck in restaurant parking lots with clogged gas filters.

But I'll never forget what one teacher's aide said when I pulled up at the elementary school to drop off my youngest one day, "I love your truck," she said, "its got character!" I used to relate that story and add, "It has character because its driven by a character!" Roy seems to be a character, are you ready to pick up the baton as it were? Are you a character too? Your truck certainly seems to have some.
smile.gif

Art A. I LOVE IT!!! Are you going to name the truck "Roy" after its original owner? It looks like one very nice pickup. Congratulations!!!!

p.s. Fancy claims "Shotgun." if he ever gets a ride in it.
308188.gif

Art, very cool! I've always liked that body style Chevy pickup.

Hats off to the Chevy! That sure is a nice one, Art! I always drove around in my dad's '71 250 4x4, with 4-speed. Then I got a '66 Chevy fleetside that had a 327 with 4-speed, and nice wood floor inside the 6' bed. The 66' was the last year for that style, then came the 67' like what you have. I then purchased a '73 1 ton with a 454. Now that was a true work truck!

Very nice 70' you have! I like it!!

That is a cool looking old truck Art. It's easy to see that you are one to do a good job with anything you tackle like several guys here on the forum.

And that's coming from a Ford guy!

Thanks for the comments guys. Its a fun project. I plan on finishing up a few details then showing Roy the progress later this fall.

Art--I love it! Way to keep a classic alive and give it a new lease on life. The 67-72 GM truck line is considered by many in the hobby, the zenith of that brand of trucks in the blend Of looks and functionality. What a great back story too. Make sure you update us on what Roy says when he sees it again.

Well, my time killer is actually cub related this time.

My 2072 has had a bad driveshaft vibration that I hoped would fix itself... Well the vibration has of course only gotten worse and started to loosen other things.

Back story on this Super. I got this tractor for free with 1180hrs on it cause "it burned oil by the quart." Turns out, the little rubber flapper under the valve breather had come apart and was missing. So it was basically shoving oil into the carb. $15 part, and I had a great running 1987 2072.

Fast forward 5 yrs or so. I thought My RTV gasket job was finally failing under the valve vent and 2 days ago on the second pass across the back yard it suddenly started smoking like crazy. Oil was coming out of the exhaust and being blown all over the muffler! I shut it down before it caught fire.

I limped it back to the shop and figured a quick gasket surface clean up and reveal and I'd be back in business. When I finally got the cover off, I found that the new breather flapper (which was the newer reed style) had failed. Luckily over those 5yrs I've collected quite a few parts 82/72 style tractors. So a worn out KT17 had a fully proper flapper waiting to be picked.

So I cleaned it, swapped in the new part and gave it half a day to dry.

15 minutes into the run it starts again... I stopped and thought "I guess it needed more time." But that side of the engine was was not leaking?!?

I checked around and found the top of the engine was a pool of oil and it was dripping an the drive way. While poking around, I found that the mechanical fuel pump was completely loose! Not a little loose, I mean both bolts were completely missing and it was flopping around like a hurt duck.

So my goodness, back to the worn out KT17 to steal 2 more bolts, which are just 3/8" Phillips head screws, not bolts. I was able to get it reattached but only 15mins before it started to rain. I didn't even put the engine tins back on yet. I just drove it back to the shop, vibrating away til I can pull the tunnel cover and finally fix the dumb driveshaft.

What a day...

Honey "Dew" list is ALWAYS on TOP of my cub time,
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Of course the most recent waterfall/fountain project has been on back burner for a while now.

Put off mowing duty yesterday to get started on the what I'm figuring to be a 4 weekend'er!!!!

Started digging yesterday morning and got the split waterfall flatrock and liner in. Of course the real digging Isn't going to start till the birdbath & pedestal are removed for the retention pond and submersible pump. Then pedestal and birdbath will be reinstated with fountain nozzles and lines up to supply waterfalls.
thumbsup.gif

That's the plan anyway
roflol.gif

308393.jpg

308394.jpg

308395.jpg

308396.jpg

Still have to fold/tuck liner edges w/ side stones to keep water in and hide liner edges.

Momma said it sure would be nice to hear water trickling while I'm drinking morning coffee out on the front entry!
bash.gif

biggrin.gif

Mounting deck wheels "inside" might be ummm heck who knows now that I started on this Project! Seems any more here lately I've got more projects going than I can keep track of.

Jason-

That's quite impressive...good job.

That should also attract some neat wildlife...little critters.

Jason W. Fantastic!!!! When you're finished....
happy.gif
(our yard would look great like that).

Back