• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Newbie with Cub fever - ethical question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkovach

displayname
John Kovach
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a couple weeks and love the information and help everyone provides.

Anyway, My cousin sold his house and moved and needed to get rid of his 1864 w/54GT deck. It looks like it has always been stored inside and he only wanted $500 b/c he says it needs carb work. I didn't want to see it go, so I told friends and family about it, but of course nobody wanted to drive the hour to get it. I didn't need a tractor b/c I already have an orange one (sorry about the cursing on the forum). I went and got it b/c I couldn't resist. I didn't realize how heavy duty the tractor was until I got it and really liked it. Now, everybody wants the Cub after I did all the leg work. What a surprise! Finally my ethical question: Is it wrong that I told everyone my cousin now wants $1000 for it since I kind of want to keep it? What do I tell the wife so she lets me keep two tractors with only a half acre to mow? Do you think I have a case of Cub fever, especially since I am now scanning craigslist for Cubs?

Duh, sell the orange one, or tell the DW that you need to make sure it runs right so your keeping both till she forgets about it.
happy.gif

John, WELCOME!
wave.gif
groupwave.gif
wave.gif
Yep, sounds like a classic case of Yellow and White fever to me. I like the second option that Dave suggested for you. Did your cousin have any other attachments for it? Like a snow thrower or dozer blade? If so you'll have one set up for winter duties and one set up for summer duties. Plus, it's a good idea to have a back up tractor. Some of us have multiple back up tractors and some have tractors for special duties like Plow Day tractors.
happy.gif

BTW, is your orange tractor a Kubota, Husqvarna, Allis Chalmers or?
1a_scratchhead.gif

John,
I would have just told the truth to those who now want to buy it. Tell them you bought it, and like it and if they want it, they have to buy it from you at your asking price which is $1000.

Dave,
I am currently trying to do option 2 right now. The only problem is it is in the garage where she sees it every morning and it bothers her even though it is taking up my parking space and not hers. I am thinking of moving it to the shed, but I finally just got the shed 2 months ago and don't have electric in it yet. Out of sight, out of mind.

Kraig,
All I got with it was the deck, rear wheel weights, tire chains, and a grass catcher/sweeper that is orange and says Case on it. I am already looking for a snow blower for it. You must have read my mind about summer and winter duties, especially with how nice everyone says the GT decks cut. I also like having a back up tractor.

The orange tractor is a Kubota T1570 lawn tractor 15hp. It is a 2003, runs perfect, has 200hrs, was always stored inside by the original owner, oil changed every season, washed after every use, needs nothing, cuts nice and the wife loves using it. The downside is it's lawn tractor, so I can't really use it with snow blowers or blades.

I think I'm going to need a bigger shed!

...need a bigger shed! Don T. may have suggestions for you. Someone <font size="-2">( I think in Florida)</font> built a BIG shed for his Cubs. Could maybe hold 2 dozen Cubs or a couple buses! Yup Cub fever is addictive...

One can never have a shed big enough as the stuff expands to fill the available space...

Todd,
Normally I would just tell the truth (less problems), but if the wifey found out I bought it she would probably make me get rid of it at any price. Plus I don't really want to sell and knew that at $1000 everyone would get off my back. My wife comes from a family who doesn't understand nostalgia and collectibility like the rest of our throw away society. I like preserving the past and learning from it. In fact, I found out today that a local Pennsylvania organization (http://www.roughandtumble.org/)that preserves and displays antique steam engines and farm equipment offers a class in the spring to learn to operate them. I would love to do that. It's fascinating. Some people just don't get it and that's okay.

John, niebore has a 1/4 scale traction engine it is cool. he's been playing with pulling a sulky horse plow. It doesn't have anywhere near enough ground clearance. I spent a couple hours with him last spring when he steamed his garden.

John; How about just moving the wifes car outside so she won't go in the garage and see the tractor. That way you could have space for 2 more cubs.

Dave,
He must love steamed vegetables if he did the whole garden!
happy.gif
Sorry, just kidding. That must have been cool to watch it done the old way.

I have a question about mfg dates. My tractor has a mfg date: L232G2. From searching old posts I believe it was made Dec. 23, 1992 but couldn't find a chart or other source that explained it for sure. Am I correct? Also, is the "L" for Dec. or Nov., b/c I know manufacturers of other products like batteries sometimes skip the letter "I" to avoid confusion with the number "1" and use "M" for Dec. In the mfg code I learned "G" is for the mfg plant, but does anyone know what the "2" at the end means?

Matt,
The Serial# 838980, which according to the charts online indicates a 1993 model. So, if it was made in Dec, 1992, wouldn't that be about right? On xtrememotorworks website it says the 1864 was made from 1993-1997.

Do you know what months a production year consisted of for Cub at that time? Did it follow the calender year or was it like automobiles from Sept to Aug? I was thinking that since it was produced on the last couple days of 92, they just consider it a 93. Although, I was looking at Brian Miller's website, http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/kohlcub.htm, which shows 1992 ended at serial# 836000. So i see what you are saying. By the way, Matt, I like your website. Lots of interesting stuff and info.

Matt G, John K: But the dates do match...

The Model 1864 Cub Cadet in question was made on 23 December 1992, Louisville KY, Assembly Line #2 for the 1993 (Model) sales year.

Cub Cadet production usually begins in October for the following Model Year, similar to the scheme used by the Auto Industry.

Actual date of manufacture of CCC/MTD Cub Cadets must be determined by the Manufacturing Code Information. Model Numbers on the other hand, are listed by the Sales Year.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

John I've had a similiar issue with my wife and cubs. I just thought of all the stuff she does like manicures, pedicures, buying purses up the ying yang etc... all unnecessary but that's what she likes to do and it makes her happy. I've got a tractor for mowing and one for plow days/yard work. I guarantee she's spent more money than me in the long run. Try and think of something that she loves to do that makes her happy and tell her that about the cubs. By the way that's a great deal on the 1864 tell your friends and family to back off you did the foot work for it.

John K: Oooops...Mental lapse
bash.gif

The manufacturing location was the CCC/MTD plant in Brownsville TN...not the IH Louisville plant I erroneously stated...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

John K: For what it's worth, I sold a 105 to a friend several years ago and his wife wasn't too happy -- until he parked it on the front lawn (ran out of gas) and had to go to work. When a couple people stopped to see if it was for sale, his wife started seeing it differently.
guitarist.gif

Latest posts

Back