• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My 782 Build update

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhangartner

displayname
Jason W Hangartner
Some of you may know that a while ago I picked up 2 782's in a package deal together. Well one of them was pretty much trashed but had some surprisingly good parts and the other needed repair. So over the past few months I have been building up one good one out of the two. here are some pics of where I am at now.

First off here is the chassis. The original Hydro was completely shelled out so I rebuilt it with a donor trans. The rear end does have the fine spline carrier and axles. I need to decide on what tires to put on the front.
61765.jpg

Here I upgraded to a steering column from a newer 1710 with a 3 to 1 ratio and installed all new heim joints on all of the steering connections. I wanted it to steer easy for my 6 year old son. And it does.
61766.jpg

Here is a motor shot just need to put the PTO and muffler back on. Decarboned the heads with new gaskets, new points and condensor, new plug wires. this motor had a fixed jet Walbro on it so I replaced it with the adjustable jet version, air cleaner etc...
61767.jpg

Finally while I did go ahead and rebuild the old starter, I put it back for a spare and put a new one on to forgoe the Kohler twin starting blues.
61770.jpg

Looking Great Jason.
buttrock.gif
Will you have it ready for the Tama/Toledo Plow Day next month?

Marlin, Yes it will be ready in time. I don't know how much plowing I will be able to do as i have a prior commitment that morning and can not come out until the afternoon. But I am hoping to be there even if it is late.

How difficult was the steering column replacement? My 782 is quite sloppy and I need to change mine out.

Steve T.-

It's pretty easy on an 82 series. Remove the steering wheel and firewall/gas tank. Loosen the upper support (you might need to remove the lift valve) and loosen the U-bolts holding the valve on. It should just hang there by the linkage and lines. Remove the drag link and two bolts holding the column and you should be able to work it out the bottom or side. Once again you may need to remove the valve. I haven't done this in awhile and can't remember for sure.

You can leave the valve hang there but you do need to remove all of the valve mounting bolts and plate. It is a little tricky to get wrenches on all of the nut and bolts with the valve in place but can be done without too much trouble. I find it easiest to disconnect the lift lever to twist the valve to get to all of the nuts and then you can re-connect it loosely to support the valve while you have the gear out.

Be sure to mark how high up the valve is to get your lever throw correct when you bolt it to the new column.

The hard part is finding the new style steering gear for a reasonable price.

Also if you have a lot of play in your steering be sure to check the axle pivot bolt. It probly needs to be tightened. As well as all of the other tie rod ends.

Latest posts

Back